LX570 Stock Frame Under Armor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
As I spend more time under the LX570, I start to notice things never talked about in this 200 forum. This under armor is probably unique to the LX570. Always nice to see real substance in the sister model.

One of the interesting things is the existence of some seriously beefy AHC system guards along the frame rail. These didn't exist in the 100-series LX470 world. And I suspect they don't exist on the 200-series Land Cruiser either.

With how beefy these are, they likely stiffen the frame as they are tied in at 3 points along the length of the frame. They obviously protect the AHC system suspension globes/valves/accumulators from underneath and likely guard them from side intrusions and accidents too.

While they aren't true sliders as they won't prevent cosmetic damage to the step and body, they sure look beefy enough to take a serious beating.

Wondering how Slee's LX570 specific sliders will integrate/replace these.

EDIT: Forgot to add pic
gaurds.jpg

Yeah, I agree that these are pretty beefy machines... although I am VERY sure that those steps will be the first thing to get trashed under there! As tucked as the AHC stuff is, I really would not expect those to get much damage with that serious frame being hit first!

Yeah, I agree that these are pretty beefy machines... although I am VERY sure that those steps will be the first thing to get trashed under there! As tucked as the AHC stuff is, I really would not expect those to get much damage with that serious frame being hit first!

He isn't talking about the steps. He is talking about those two thick steel bars mounted the frame below the AHC stuff.

That's pretty awesome and a testament to how well protected these rigs are for off-road use.

You should take those off and weigh them. Find out what they are like when not supported by the frame.

Are they hollow? In the picture there looks like holes in the center of the tube. Genuinely curious as I don't have a LX.

He isn't talking about the steps. He is talking about those two thick steel bars mounted the frame below the AHC stuff.

Yes, I understand that. Please notice that the steps hang lower than any of the AHC parts and the frame, as beefy as that thing is, will take the brunt of force that might come up far enough to hit those. The steps would just get mangled both from their proximity and their build. Also note that the bars protecting the AHC components are not below the frame, but along the side with the frame actually being lower.

On a different note...

The Slee sliders, from what I've heard, will replace these guards along with the steps and provide additional protection to the AHC components. Truly, I was amazed at how heavy duty the truck looks from the underneath but know how flimsy the steps are and that is why I have always thought that a good set of sliders would make this truck a very formidable!

Yes, I understand that. Please notice that the steps hang lower than any of the AHC parts and the frame, as beefy as that thing is, will take the brunt of force that might come up far enough to hit those. The steps would just get mangled both from their proximity and their build. Also note that the bars protecting the AHC components are not below the frame, but along the side with the frame actually being lower.

Fair enough.

I agree that the stock running boards on both the LX and LC would be toast on any trail.

Stock steps are definitely a potential damage-multiplier for the strip below the door...

Yeah, this is the ONE thing that I really hate about the LX as compared to the LC... those silly steps. Yeah, I could take them off, but then it would look goofy with the OEM side panels. Not happy about that one. The truck is really a beast otherwise and I love the fact that all you have to do is put it into Hi position and you instantly have a lift! Great for additional clearance, but you still end up wondering what happens if (or when) you hit those steps! At least on the 100, you could just drop them and it didn't look funny.:doh:

Yeah, this is the ONE thing that I really hate about the LX as compared to the LC... those silly steps. Yeah, I could take them off, but then it would look goofy with the OEM side panels. Not happy about that one. The truck is really a beast otherwise and I love the fact that all you have to do is put it into Hi position and you instantly have a lift! Great for additional clearance, but you still end up wondering what happens if (or when) you hit those steps! At least on the 100, you could just drop them and it didn't look funny.:doh:

Slee bought an LC body panel that was a super close match to his shop LX. Never would have guessed it wasn't stock color. Seems like it wasn't too ridiculous to buy, either. Can't remember the cost, but apparently, an LC panel goes right on there to allow his sliders.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that previously. I was thinking that the cost was something like $800, but I don't remember if that was per side or both and of course paint matching would be extra. :hmm: That was why I didn't like that particular option. Very expensive.
Not to knock Slee... Christo's group does some very impressive engineering! :beer:

Regarding the underside armor otherwise, I think that for most people, the stock setup would be very sufficient, if sliders were added. One thing that I have not looked at was whether or not the spare tire would need to be raised to keep it from being a possible target under there.:hmm:

Not saying these would by any means replace a quality slider or that they would save the stock steps. Clearly not, and I acknowledged as much in my first post. Just that Toyota puts meat where it matters even if the general user would never notice this detail - and in reality, gets criticized in almost every review for platform weight, relatively poor dynamics, cost, blah blah.

Cosmetics aside, these guards would ensure an AHC equipped LC, to keep running well after a situation that might compromise the guts of other platforms. This is likely one of many explicit examples, and is why we all own Land Cruisers.

As for the side steps on the LX, I don't mind them and I personally think they are great in function as aesthetics. It's certainly not a deal-breaker to mod as LC parts can be used, though it's a more expensive proposition. But none of us are in this hobby, or even this platform, cause it's cheap.

I was talking to @reevesci about making sliders that could use the original lx piece, and just trim the step out of it. If anyone lives near him, get over there! I don't love the idea of spending $800 on some plastic pieces just so i can then buy sliders....seems stupid. I think slee builds very very nice stuff, just seems if you're fabbing a piece for a particular car, make it to fit that car.

I was talking to @reevesci about making sliders that could use the original lx piece, and just trim the step out of it. If anyone lives near him, get over there! I don't love the idea of spending $800 on some plastic pieces just so i can then buy sliders....seems stupid. I think slee builds very very nice stuff, just seems if you're fabbing a piece for a particular car, make it to fit that car.

Trying to talk a local into letting me use his rig for a couple of weekends. I crawled under it and OMFG what an abortion....

J

IMG_20170314_145959811.jpg
IMG_20170314_150008040.jpg

IMG_20170314_145923532.jpg

Reviving an old thread, please humor me.

It's been brought up before—but MetalTech claims their 200 sliders fit the LX570: Metal Tech 200 Series Land Cruiser/LX570 Sliders

I've never heard of any confirmed installs and assume they are mistaken.

Slee's custom LX sliders mount to the frame at 3 points. If the AHC armor were removed, would that back hanger on the MT's slide in under the globes (circled in red) in Slee's photo:

qMCVeVE.png

hHplH5Q.png

Looks like taking off the OEM Lexus protection weakened the protection. Damaging the AHC/AVS is way more expensive then denting some sheet metal.

Reviving an old thread, please humor me.

It's been brought up before—but MetalTech claims their 200 sliders fit the LX570: Metal Tech 200 Series Land Cruiser/LX570 Sliders

I've never heard of any confirmed installs and assume they are mistaken.

Slee's custom LX sliders mount to the frame at 3 points. If the AHC armor were removed, would that back hanger on the MT's slide in under the globes (circled in red) in Slee's photo:

You are correct there is an error with the listing that the Metal-tech 4x4 200 Series Landcruiser sliders are a direct bolt on for the LX570. We will fix that listing. Now this can change with anyone with a LX570 is wishing to leave it at Metal-tech 4x4 for a bit. It's a matter of building mounts that work with the glorious bits Lexus side of Toyota decided was needed.

For the 200 Series Landcruiser trucks the sliders bolt on (do need to add mounting holes), create a step and featured the Metal-tech 4x4 two stage rub rail to push the truck away from obstacles and help save the quarter panel. Metal-tech 4x4 also typically has these in stock so no waiting.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom