Outer tie rod/steering boot leak at 92k (98 LC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - This is my first real post on the forum after a long time of lurking, admiring, and learning. I purchased a 98 LC a couple months ago with 92k on the clock and admittedly didn't do a thorough enough inspection beforehand. However, the only major issues I have found are blown CV boots and now this...

The left (drivers side) tie rod boot is leaking. No dripping as far as I can tell. I noticed last week the power steering fluid was a little low, and found the leak around the boot last night. Search function on MUD have turned up a lot of info on replacing the whole rack, just boots, using stop-leak, etc.

Is there something I can "easily" replace before replacing the whole rack? I have no steering symptoms while driving. Also, FWIW, after inspection and cleaning, I found that the PO did not use a clamp on the inner end of the boot, they wrapped a wire around it and twisted it tight... seriously?! Passenger side boot is good to go for now..

What is the suggest course of action? Reboot and top off PS fluid? Use a seal kit (04446-06040)? Forget it and worry more about the CVs? Please help! Thanks!

My 98 with about 90k had the same issue when I bought it. PS reservoir was just a little low and there was seepage (not quite a drip) at one boot. I wiped the boot clean, topped off the PS fluid, and added Lucas Oil stop leak. It's been 15k miles and there are no issues... the boot is still dry and the fluid level hasn't decreased. If I spring a real leak then I'll swap out the rack.

My 98 with about 90k had the same issue when I bought it. PS reservoir was just a little low and there was seepage (not quite a drip) at one boot. I wiped the boot clean, topped off the PS fluid, and added Lucas Oil stop leak. It's been 15k miles and there are no issues... the boot is still dry and the fluid level hasn't decreased. If I spring a real leak then I'll swap out the rack.

Thanks, reznunt. That's what I wanted to hear. Did you use Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak? I'm trying to track down a part number for the boot clamp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom