What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_20170318_194857_zpsrvct6awf.jpg

Got my power steering installed!

My 45 will have to sit outside for a few days as my 70 is going into the garage for some major surgery.

20170319_185844.jpg

Pulled the pz motor out of my 70 to do the rear main seal, looked at the duel mass flywheel and took it apart. Think it's missing something.......

20170319_182953.jpg

Luckily I bought a solid mass flywheel off a mate but still need to get a new clutch.

My 40 is not running at the moment, because I have the gas tank disconnected. But I still need to work on it and I like to push it out of the garage. Well the problem is when I have to push it back in the garage. I have to ask the :princess: for help. And then of course listen and answer all the "how come... where is it..... why is it..... what are you doing.... when is it.... " blah blah blah.

So here is my solution: OTC LIFTING EYE

I mounted it in the floor. I rig my hoist in it and pull my 40 back in the garage!!:hillbilly:

I know I'm not the first to think of this. But all of us should have one.
20170318_163550.jpg
20170318_163642.jpg
20170318_163713.jpg

Last edited:
I also ran out of garage space. So I decide to make storage space in the ceiling.

Did it as cheap as possible, but durable and long lasting.
Materials
2 - 2x4
3 - 1 1/2 " unistrut
3 - 3/4" unistrut
3 - 10' 1/2" all thread
2 - hog panels ( Tractor Supply)
Box - 1 1/2 " lag screws
Box - 3" deck screws

1. Ripped 2x4 in half and screwed it to every wall stud.
2. Mount 3/4" unistrut to ceiling screwing it to every ceiling joist with lag screws.
3. Mounted all thread every 3 to 4 ft
4. Hung 1 1/2 " unistrut from all thread.
5. Cut hog panel in half 24". Gave me two pieces.
20170318_163753.jpg
20170318_163803.jpg
20170318_163741.jpg

I need this extra storage, it really helped!! Now I can work in my garage with out stumbling over everything.
Not taking credit for the idea, it's on the Internet. But this is the most cost effective.

My 40 is not running at the moment, because I have the gas tank disconnected. But I still need to work on it and I like to push it out of the garage. Well the problem is when I have to push it back in the garage. I have to ask the :princess: for help. And then of course listen and answer all the "how come... when is it..... why is it..... what are you doing.... when is it.... " blah blah blah.

So here is my solution: OTC LIFTING EYE

I mounted it in the floor. I rig my hoist in it and pull my 40 back in the garage!!:hillbilly:

I know I'm not the first to think of this. But all of us should have one.
View attachment 1423752 View attachment 1423753 View attachment 1423754
I was thinking of something similar. The front of one side of my garage has a cast-in-place concrete footer to support the dining room floor joists, and there's a crawl space underneath the dining room easily accessible from the full basement under the rest of the house. I was thinking of drilling horizontally through the footer, running a large eyebolt through the hole, and installing a large plate, washer, and nut on the back. That way I can attach a snatch block to the eyebolt and winch my '86 FJ60 project vehicle into the garage using the Warn winch on my '76 FJ40 parked off to the side in the driveway.

Where

is the longer hose going? A cooler?

Yeah. I've read some people get by fine without it, but for $20 for the kit I figured it couldn't hurt anything. Also, I kept the narrow pulley. I used a utility belt for lawnmowers and such. Belt 4L490. Fits the pump pulley and the crank pulley no problem. It doesn't fall all the way down to the bottom and grips the sides of the pulley just fine.

Rust-Ole um topside paint after 3 coats.
Thanks to @imyahucklbrry for the help with questions and recomendations.
After 3 coats,the brush will fill the pinholes in the fiberglass better better than the roller.

For the money,well worth the effort.
Get some.

1489955763681-1834902648.jpg

After 3 coats,the brush will fill the pinholes in the fiberglass better better than the roller.

Get some.

View attachment 1423953
Cool man, I just did something similar to my hard top. Rolled on some DuraBak liner, and it looks great. Now, just to finishing sanding, priming, and painting the rain gutter, and windshield cap. Then, it'll be a riveting party!

Can you guys tell me what these 3 wires go to. On a '75 40, they come out of the center of the firewall, thru the small grommet. I think one is for the temp sensor?? But I can't find the other 2 on the wiring diagram...
wires.jpg

Get some.

View attachment 1423953

... and of course yours looks better than mine!

Finally! Got the rear tank installed. A friend came over and helped me on what should have been a 30 min job. Worked 3 hrs yesterday and 2 hrs today. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

I'd previously drilled the holes in the skid plate and the rear frame and test fit the skid plate. All was OK.

We used my atv lift to raise the assembly and start to bolt it up. The front hanger bolts were too short. Double checked the destructions. On one page in two places it says the bolts are 7". The next page says 6" for the same bolts. I measured the ones sent with the tank...5 1/2". Off to the store. The only ones available were 6" so I bought them. Raised the tank again, they fit.

Tried to install the two bolts at the rear with the provided spring nuts. Too short. Bought 1 1/2" and 2" bolts. The bolts would not start no matter what we did. We lowered and raised that tank about ten times trying different things. Had to enlarge the skid plate and frame holes a couple of times. Anyway, by putting the bolts in from the top I found the problem. When installed on the frame the nut portion would tilt and was no longer in line with the other side. I used a carbide burr to open up the non threaded part for more clearance.

Now I had an unsightly 3/4" gap between the skid plate and the frame. I found a piece of scrap T channel, drilled holes and painted it black.

If I had realized the problem with the spring nuts, I would have tack welded a couple of nuts on the frame or used some good jack nuts. It would have save a lot of grief.

Rear-Tank-Installed.jpg

Prepping hardtop parts...............waiting on more weatherstrip
Arch1.jpg

I finally got all the old rotary switches replaces with things I can actually operate - and got rid of the ignition key as well.

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom