Groaning sound when turning the wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after daily driving the truck almost two years, I've come to know it's quirks

One thing I've noticed for the last year is the power steering seems to go in and out as I parallel park (or any time the truck is not in motion)

I know a run a vortec, and the total mileage is approximately 150,000. Should the power steering really be going? I'm only running 34's so I don't think the cruisers Power Gear Box is gone (it's not leaking)

Every time I turn the wheel and I'm not applying the gas, I get the groan/creek sound from that area. It hasn't shown any signs of leaking either, anywhere.

A few months ago I had one day where I lost power steering intermittently, for maybe 3 seconds and it happened twice, since then I haven't experienced it again

Knuckles are in good shape so I know it's not them.

Does this sound like a failing power steering pump? I've never experienced a pump failing before

Not sure what pump your using, but old fluid, low fluid and especially the wrong fluid can cause power steering pump groan. A worn out pump will too.

Last edited:
Not sure what pump your using, but old fluid, low fluid and especially the wrong fluid will cause power steering pump groan. A worn out pump will too.

It's the stock pump with the 5.3 vortec, would changing the fluid yeild fruit, or am I better off swapping the pump with 150xxx on it ?

The stock pump loves brand new Dextron ATF. It can make a world of difference. Don't use power steering fluid. If the pump gets air in it from low levels it will groan too.

Good thread info seeing as I just picked up a used and running stock pump. Guy I bought it from mentioned running the Dextron too. I looked at a local place recently.. is that stuff all synthetic? And if I switch over how do I flush the non synthetic out of my gear box?

All ATF is synthetic. The FSM describes the flushing procedure.

Some are blends, like the mobil, but all I know is when I switched to the full-syn Amsoil, the pump was noticeably quieter and ran about 20* cooler, on an IR temp gun... I think I originally filled it with some Walmart stuff. This was on a new pump, too.

:meh:

No, pretty sure it was this one, but the labels seemed to have changed since I did mine.

I used it in my Ford pickup Power Steering with same results (Mercon V spec).

That one you posted is new and looks better. I'd try that, now. Difference seems to be viscosity.

ATF.jpg

The stock pump loves brand new Dextron ATF. It can make a world of difference. Don't use power steering fluid. If the pump gets air in it from low levels it will groan too.

OS - is this true about new fluid? I have groan on turns at times, esp when cold (cold outside - say 40s, and before things have warmed up machine wise). Usually left hand turns, and pronounced under breaking. You know, you're a Golden State guy - think about the Hwy 1 canyon hairpins north of the golden gate. A diving breaking turn posted at 15 mph.
Here is mechanical state to help with your thoughts:
1987 FJ60, 155K miles. New Toyota OEM PS pump about 4 years ago, so probably 20K miles ago max.
New pressure and return lines done in the last year. I had my local guy do it due to a time crunch on my part, so I don't know what fluid he used in the line replacement, but I trust him with my wife's and daughter's cars, so I don't think he would use junk fluid. He's a good guy that way (actually Toyota factory trained 1987 through 2000 before opening his own shop).
Fluid level in pump is fine.
When it groans, I get definite feedback in the steering column to the wheel - not just pump groan, but gearbox feedback.
I guess it's worth a shot to flush the fluid (per FSM) before moving on to a potential gearbox rebuild. Since the pump is newish, no leaks (pump or steering gearbox no leaks that is), and the rig has not had a hard life (this I know for a fact), I can't imagine the gearbox going away internally with only 155K on it, and a soft life.
Tires are only 235/85/16s, about 70 pounds rim/tire, so I am not stressing the gear that way.
Drop your knowledge and thoughts on me if you would please.
This is my rig - just FYI:
Toyota Trails - January/February 2017 Issue

so I don't know what fluid he used in the line replacement, but I trust him with my wife's and daughter's cars, so I don't think he would use junk fluid.

That could be the problem. The fluid HAS to be DEXTRON ATF. Even the best PS fluid isn't ATF.

Also, if the PS pump return line is run through a non stock add on PS cooler, those can trap air (and spew it back into the reservoir) making tiny bubbles which can cause the impeller to chatter (groan).

That could be the problem. The fluid HAS to be DEXTRON ATF. Even the best PS fluid isn't ATF.

Also, if the PS pump return line is run through a non stock add on PS cooler, those can trap air (and spew it back into the reservoir) making tiny bubbles which can cause the impeller to chatter (groan).
Thanks - will flush for sh*ts and giggles. The PS cooler is stock. Pretty much like everything else. Being an engineer myself, I'm a strong believer in Toyota's engineering on these things. Why I use OEM as long as I can get it - even at the extra$.
Thanks again OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom