excessive play in axle shaft after rear axle rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have a 1997 4Runner SR5 3.4 v6 5 speed manual. I'm getting into some more trail riding, so I decided to hunt down a e-locker and swap my open diff with a locker. Found an axle at Spaldings in Spokane and started the swap. The donor vehicle had 277k on it with 4:30 gears. I have 4:10 gears. I swapped the gears, replaced all the bearings in the third member and new rear wheel bearings. When I bolted it all together, i noticed that there was still some play in the rear wheels. When I grab the tire on top and bottom and check for movement, there is very apparent and excessive play in the axle shaft. There is no axial or radial movement, but when I grab the tire and rock it in and out from top to bottom there is excessive movement. It is audibly there. It seems as though the splined end of the axle shaft is moving up and down inside the carrier assembly. Has anyone ran into this or know what to do about it?

Hello, I have a 1997 4Runner SR5 3.4 v6 5 speed manual. I'm getting into some more trail riding, so I decided to hunt down a e-locker and swap my open diff with a locker. Found an axle at Spaldings in Spokane and started the swap. The donor vehicle had 277k on it with 4:30 gears. I have 4:10 gears. I swapped the gears, replaced all the bearings in the third member and new rear wheel bearings. When I bolted it all together, i noticed that there was still some play in the rear wheels. When I grab the tire on top and bottom and check for movement, there is very apparent and excessive play in the axle shaft. There is no axial or radial movement, but when I grab the tire and rock it in and out from top to bottom there is excessive movement. It is audibly there. It seems as though the splined end of the axle shaft is moving up and down inside the carrier assembly. Has anyone ran into this or know what to do about it?
There should be no play like you described. Being that you replaced so many components it could be a lot of things. More than likely the wheel bearing is bad or installed incorrectly.

x2 on the Wheel Bearing not being seated properly. You need to install those with a press otherwise problems like this will occur.

I figured it out. Turns out the splined hub inside the carrier (the one that receives the axle shaft) was worn out and had excessive play where it rides inside carrier case. There is no bushing or bearing to replace. My carrier was shot and I had to get another used 3rd member. $700 later I am up and running again. You live and learn I guess. Don't buy high mileage used 3rd members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom