Locking Hub (Aisin) Won't Seat after Upgrade to FJ60 Birfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone having this problem after swapping out the 40 Birfield for a 60 in order for the upgrade the front brake to disk from drum.
The parts are straight from j60.
The locking hub seems to bottom out with birfield snap ring. I check all the procedures when installing the 60 birfield during the complete knuckle rebuilt. When I leave the snap ring off the locking hub able to seat. Barely seat. It seems the birfield is sticking out too far.

Any Advice would greatly appreciated.

It's a '73 FJ40.

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

Hi all,

Is the coil spring on the lock-out dial compressed, or extended? Post a pic of it?

-Alan

You need the long style hubs.

Reddingcruiser, you mean such as Warn hub? Alan, it does not matter wether the hub in lock or open position, it still won't work.

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_6997.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

He has the later wheel bearing hubs, but those outer stubs look like the 08/75-12/78 'longer' birfield to me...

Simply because an outer axle was removed from a 60 series, does not mean that it was original to that vehicle.

There are far too many instances of things being swapped around by previous owners...

:beer:

This may be a dumb question.

Has anyone ever tried to machine a 10mm spacer so those with the earlier long style birfs could run the short body Aisin lockouts? This could be a simple disc with mounting holes that would go between the hub and the lockouts. Though you probably would need longer studs.

This may be a dumb question.

Has anyone ever tried to machine a 10mm spacer so those with the earlier long style birfs could run the short body Aisin lockouts? This could be a simple disc with mounting holes that would go between the hub and the lockouts. Though you probably would need longer studs.

I had my laser cutter make me some for a LX450 I was installing a part-time kit into the tcase and longs and chromo gears into the front axle.

Not something I would do again.

I eventually modified the length of the Long and called it good.

I agree with Poser. Those look like long birfs.

Also, you need to use a lot more grease .......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I agree with Poser. Those look like long birfs.

Also, you need to use a lot more grease .......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

The locking hub in picture was completely torn and reassembled. There was no grease for the purpose to pre-assemble for fitting purposes. The final install will have ample of grease.

Georg, (@georgfj45)
Maybe you have a better idea how I can tackle this problem since the birfield, locking hub, the entire knuckle and disk brake.was source from you.

Your suggestion would very much appreciated.

Dave

He has the later wheel bearing hubs, but those outer stubs look like the 08/75-12/78 'longer' birfield to me...

Simply because an outer axle was removed from a 60 series, does not mean that it was original to that vehicle.

There are far too many instances of things being swapped around by previous owners...

:beer:

Yup. I was playing with Cam's FJ62 buggy on the rockpile at Iron Pig some years ago. Cam had a panic attack when he noticed the front wheel hub was turning but the rotor wasnt. He said it wasn't possible.

I said it was if somebody had swapped a 76-80 hub and rotor onto the 62. Cam and Vince: Oh.

Mark,

I was under the impression that the bearing hub and rotors were the same dimensions and it was only the birfs and lockouts that were different.

Now I'm really confused.:bang: Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Mark,

I was under the impression that the bearing hub and rotors were the same dimensions and it was only the birfs and lockouts that were different.

Now I'm really confused.:bang: Can you elaborate?

Thanks

The wheel studs on the pre-81 rotors are pressed ONLY into the hub. The rotor is independently bolted to the back of the hub.

To clear this up a bit, since you are dry and less messy. Dig the birf out, measure from the shoulder to the outer edge, 7 3/8" long and 7" short.

John
Pardio,
Unfornately, will be messy, the Birfield are all packed with grease, except the lockkng hub.
Yes. How much space do you have between the hub clutch ring and the birf snap ring? I could be wrong, but my guess is it's about 1/4" - 3/8".
Reddingcrjiser,
You about right, 1/4" -3/8".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom