Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to hear about Gunner sir.
I have never had a dog myself, but your posts have been a great reflection of the special bond that has been created between all of you.

Thank you for sharing and give that boy another steak.

Done!!

Thanks!!

We almost didn't go out yesterday because Gunner was very sick ... I gave him an anti naseaum pill and a rimadyl and he didn't seem any better.

But, Dianna pointed out that he may not have many more trips ahead of him, so we went... And I took a round point shovel... Just in case...

He was sick all day and all night and was staggering around this morning and I really didn't think he was gonna last... But, I fed him some special gourmet dog food and he scarfed it down.

Then, I said, "let's go hiking"... He started off staggering (dysfunctional liver causes brain issues, due to unfiltered toxins, etc.) , but before long I noticed he was doing better. We went 1 mile round trip and he was great. I made sure he drank and rested for about an hour and then we took a 2 mile round trip hike and he was like the Gunner of old!!

We're back home tonight and he's passed out... But, so is Chester.

Forgetting yesterday...

image.jpeg

Excèpt for the sunset

image.jpeg

We had a great time today!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Gunner has going to hike to the "X", but decided two miles was enough!!

image.jpeg

Always heard and personally believe that an accurate measure of a person's character is in how they treat their animal companions... No doubt about you as a person with this in mind!

I'd say if there was a thing such as reincarnation.... one would be so lucky as to come back as one of your "Boise"

Always heard and personally believe that an accurate measure of a person's character is in how they treat their animal companions... No doubt about you as a person with this in mind!

I'd say if there was a thing such as reincarnation.... one would be so lucky as to come back as one of your "Boise"

Thanks!!

Often times, I'd prefer to be one of daBoise!!

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago, in the Spring Mountains... Sgt Gunner is on the right... Sir Chester on the left.

View attachment 1412266

As I posted last, I took this picture of Sgt Gunner after our last hike on our most recent, four night trip... Gunner did great... He actually outran Chester, toward the end of our last hike.

View attachment 1412276

But, Gunner has had a couple of "lost" episodes in the last couple of weeks... He would come in the house and act like he didn't know where he was. I suspected the onset of dementia, he is after all 11, so I took him to the vet two days ago.

His blood work showed low red blood cells and high bilirubin... The sign of something serious... Like hemangiosarcoma ( Golden Retrievers are susceptible to blood borne, splenic tumors).

Today, he had an ultrasound and two radiographs and his liver is completely covered in small tumors... To the point that it can't be resected. His spleen has a few tumors as well and something is bleeding into his abdomen... Could be the liver or the spleen, or both.

It's very aggressive and the vet says he probably has a month or less...

We lost a 13 year old female GR to this abdominal bleed out, years ago, and we didn't know she was sick until her abdomen became extremely distended one day... She died before daylight the next day... So, I don't think Gunner has a month left.

We'll be going bush as often as he feels up to it.

I'm not looking for pity, I've lost a lot of great best friends in my life... I've made daBoise a large part of my MUD persona and felt I needed to let everyone know what's going on.

Gunner is special though... He was born on Veterans' Day (11/11), 2005 and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on Dec 18, 2005. I had a 4-month injection of Lupron Depot, to kill my testosterone and shrink my prostate. This shot put me into full blown menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, night chills, depression, crying jags, mood swings, the whole enchilada). Gunner slept on my chest and nursed me through it all. He also nursed me through the recovery from the subsequent surgery.

I wish I could nurse him through this, but I can't... So, we will give him the best quality of life, we can, for the time he has left.

I just found this post. I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been said, other than I know full well what the two of you are going through. Jasper is over 11 years old, which is beyond senior years for a Boxer, and I am dreading that day when we lose him. He has been a very special part of my life and I can fully understand the rapport that you and Gunner have. Jasper is the adult size dog in my avatar, although he is no longer fawn color, grey instead.

Don

I just found this post. I don't know what can be said that hasn't already been said, other than I know full well what the two of you are going through. Jasper is over 11 years old, which is beyond senior years for a Boxer, and I am dreading that day when we lose him. He has been a very special part of my life and I can fully understand the rapport that you and Gunner have. Jasper is the adult size dog in my avatar, although he is no longer fawn color, grey instead.

Don

Thanks Don!!

I know the dread.

I find it very interesting how some things can very easily bring the puppy back, for a while. Give him all those moments possible in the time he has left.

Don

I find it very interesting how some things can very easily bring the puppy back, for a while. Give him all those moments possible in the time he has left.

Don

Exactly! We just returned from a walk in the park!

Danny I am sorry This is happening.i know it does not fix anything but at least you know your not alone in this . Everyone one who has own a pet and gone through this is with you. It's just shows you the power our pets have over us .We take them in to our lives knowing full well they will break our hearts.

Thanks!!

I wouldn't trade my "Gunner time" for a life without loss!!

Picture 3, eyes closed, sunshine in my face, good breeze.......no complaints.
Jealous man, from a human standpoint.

I lost my "buddy" a few months ago. She was wobbley and obviously on the down hill run for a couple of weeks. I knew her time was coming and I grieved every day during that time. I think that made her passing a bit more bearable. God bless you and Gunner.

I lost my "buddy" a few months ago. She was wobbley and obviously on the down hill run for a couple of weeks. I knew her time was coming and I grieved every day during that time. I think that made her passing a bit more bearable. God bless you and Gunner.

Thanks!!

We're grieving as we continue to enjoy him and are thankful for every day we have him!!

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I added a fuel pressure gauge and some toggle switch labels

View attachment 1419366

The bad news... Gunner is gone... I had him euthanized this afternoon.

He's been going downhill quickly... He still looked good three days ago... But, was rapidly growing wider and wider.

View attachment 1419365

This morning, he seemed the same... He ate well and was somewhat active. Then, he started fading, so I fed him an orange Dreamsicle

And Chester and I took him for his last drive out to the DNWR... When we stopped to stretch our legs, Gunner got out and laid right down. I got him back onboard and drove home, swapped him to the Tundra and left Chester at home.

Gunner and I went right to the vet and she agreed that his organs were shutting down... This is my last picture of my old best friend.

View attachment 1419364

Chester is very depressed... He seems to understand... Dianna is at her sister's house, on the other side of Vegas... She's upset as well... We'll get over it... But, not today.

I added a fuel pressure gauge and some toggle switch labels

View attachment 1419366

The bad news... Gunner is gone... I had him euthanized this afternoon.

He's been going downhill quickly... He still looked good three days ago... But, was rapidly growing wider and wider.

View attachment 1419365

This morning, he seemed the same... He ate well and was somewhat active. Then, he started fading, so I fed him an orange Dreamsicle

And Chester and I took him for his last drive out to the DNWR... When we stopped to stretch our legs, Gunner got out and laid right down. I got him back onboard and drove home, swapped him to the Tundra and left Chester at home.

Gunner and I went right to the vet and she agreed that his organs were shutting down... This is my last picture of my old best friend.

View attachment 1419364

Chester is very depressed... He seems to understand... Dianna is at her sister's house, on the other side of Vegas... She's upset as well... We'll get over it... But, not today.

I'm sorry for your loss, Danny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom