Where have all the rear bumper fabricators gone!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
Over the last month or so i have been bumper shopping. Looking for a expedition style bumper with no swings. All the bumpers that i like are out of production! IPOR is at the top of my list buuuut they arent doing 80 Series bumpers right now... This is where I'm at...

-IPOR, re-designing with no finish date (havent offered a bribe...yet)
-Cruisin Offroad, done, won't even take a bribe.
-Trail Tailor, done, won't take a bribe either.

-Slee, won't make a bumper with no swingouts
-4x4 labs, don't want to cut frame
-Bumpit Offroad, may be an option but there's something about the wing profile that bothers me
-Costa Fabrications- strong maybe

I'm from the buy once cry once school of thought so I'm thinking of just waiting for an IPOR, Cruisin Offroad or Trail Tailor bumper to pop up on the classifieds... by tge looks of it I might be waiting years though... Yes I have literally offered a few of these fabricators bribes to make one more bumper, no luck.

Just get a Labs bumper. The frame cut is justified due to the quality, design, and appearance of the bumper IMO.

Good point on 4x4 Labs but there's no turning back after that cut.
I struggled with that as well. Debated for a couple years, but the added clearance, ability to easily carry a full size 35" spare, and the added range with 15 gallons of gas all while looking great and providing protection has sold me on it. I don't own it yet, but I'm close. Although if you're not adding swingouts or needing/wanting additional clearance in the rocks, I can see your reservation. Didn't know IPOR was redesigning...did you call them to confirm or what?

Great thing about metal is that you can always weld it back on.

x2 on the 4x4 labs. great work of art.

Good point on 4x4 Labs but there's no turning back after that cut.

I disagree.. keep the crossmember and it can be reattached by someone halfway decent at welding relatively easily.

I struggled with that as well. Debated for a couple years, but the added clearance, ability to easily carry a full size 35" spare, and the added range with 15 gallons of gas all while looking great and providing protection has sold me on it. I don't own it yet, but I'm close. Although if you're not adding swingouts or needing/wanting additional clearance in the rocks, I can see your reservation. Didn't know IPOR was redesigning...did you call them to confirm or what?
Yes, I contacted the top three on the list to beg/confirm that they were not making bumpers anymore/right now. All really nice guys. IPOR actually suggested I check out Slee and Labs. I get the feeling that this is a pretty tight knit group of fabricators. They all speak highly of each other.

Just go 4x4 Labs. You won't want to go back anyway.
Great bumper and the extra clearance makes a huge difference.

4x4 Labs stole the market with their slick design.

4x4 Labs will get my money eventually. Costa Fabrications would be a very close second for me.....amazing work.

Holy 4x4 Labs peer pressure!

-I'm with Joey, I love my Hanna Quality bumper.

FWIW I really love my IPOR :flipoff2:
NLXTACY your IPOR thread is one of the main reasons I don't want to give up on getting one.
4x4 Labs stole the market with their slick design.
If that is the case someone needs to sell me their IPOR so that the can get a 4x4 Labs. You can even keep your swings! I have cash!
Holy 4x4 Labs peer pressure!

-I'm with Joey, I love my Hanna Quality bumper.
Hanna Quality isn't around anymore either!

NLXTACY your IPOR thread is one of the main reasons I don't want to give up on getting one.

If that is the case someone needs to sell me their IPOR so that the can get a 4x4 Labs. You can even keep your swings! I have cash!

Hanna Quality isn't around anymore either!
I'm with you I definitely want to go with IPOR as well. In the meantime though I have quite a few other purchases I need to prioritize over a rear bumper, hoping they are back in production by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger but I'm not holding my breath...

While I love his work, you have to cut the frame for the Costa rear as well. He'd be at the top of the pile for my choice for many reasons.

I want to retain the spare under the truck, so cutting the frame is out for me...went through this a few years ago with the Labs kit and that is the only reason I don't have it.

-Costa Fabrications- strong maybe
I met Rich Costa (@RDC76 ) at Fall Gathering. His designs and fab quality are pretty damn amazing. I found myself wishing something bad would happen to my bumpers so I would have an excuse to get his!

I am also curious about this. From what I've always seen @reevesci will make you damn near anything you want within reason. I always assumed that's why he called his business Trail Tailor. However, I've also noticed his production and amount of products carried has grown considerably over the last year. If he is trying to grow his business, which he obviously is, then it would make more sense for him to get away from one off ( where I imagine there is almost no profit ) and focus on the stuff that he can mass produce and still maintain his standard of quality.

Another thought for you. Just because a bumper comes with swingouts doesn't mean you have to use them. Most can be unbolted and lifted off of the spindle. You then grease the spindle and put a cap over it. Then you reserve the right to put the swingouts back on at a later date if your needs change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom