91 FJ80 No Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright so who can tell me what I am missing. Went to start the truck at lunch and it wouldn't start here is what I have.

CEL is illuminated
No click no crank
I am able to start jumping the terminals on the starter with the key in on position
I am able to move shifter from Park into gear
replaced cig, ign, and ecu fuses just to be safe swapped fusible links with my spare set still no cigar (spare set has seen better days though)

followed from onsc, every single time this has happened for me its battery terminals. Do your lights come on when set to parking? If so, check terminals. Enough of a connection to allow power, but not enough of a good connection to allow the amps needed to turn the starter. This includes grounds if the posts are tight. Good luck! Battery, ignition, starter would be what i would follow

followed from onsc, every single time this has happened for me its battery terminals. Do your lights come on when set to parking? If so, check terminals. Enough of a connection to allow power, but not enough of a good connection to allow the amps needed to turn the starter. This includes grounds if the posts are tight. Good luck! Battery, ignition, starter would be what i would follow

Vehicle starts when I jump the terminals on the starter so I believe the battery is good and starter is definitely good starts right up without issue when I jump the terminals I did have the dash apart last weekend but vehicle started after put it all back together could it be an ignition issue although the ignition was never removed?

did you loosen any ground connections under the dash? could be a loose ground there, or a loose connection in the ignition switch harness.

did you loosen any ground connections under the dash? could be a loose ground there, or a loose connection in the ignition switch harness.

I am going to take it back apart and see if I might have bumped something I was hooking up a back up camera so running the wire its possible I did. Its driving me nuts because it starts right up when I jump the terminals so I know its going to be something simple.

I test earth buy clipping a jumper cable to neg on battery and clipping the other end to engine or body. But sounds like you are on the right track

Check your battery cables, too. My 4Runner used to do something similar....the battery cables were super corroded on the inside....I replaced them with Vato Zone cables and Worked after that.

Just for kicks try it while shoving the gear selector up into the park position.

If that fails it is still worth testing the neutral safety switch for continuity.

EDIT: Also, with foot on the brake and keylock released slide the tranny shifter back and forth a few times before putting it back into park and trying the starter again. If it starts then the contacts in the neutral safety switch are bad/dirty.

If none of that works check the plug at the neutral safety switch to be sure a wire has no corroded itself loose.

EDIT #2 .... I missed that part about the radio resetting. So skip all the stuff about the NSS. Time to bypass the fusible link and see if that works.

Last edited:
If you have a multimeter on you I'd check to see what your battery voltage is.

If the battery was bad would it still start when jumping the terminals on the starter? Does a 91 have NSS? (That is a possiblity as well as I had the shifter console apart)

One more question I cant find the answer to is should the battery discharge warning light be on when the key is in the on position?

When you say jump, you're shorting across starter solenoid power terminals? So maybe solenoid coil is open (failed) or a relay in the start/ignition circuit?

For your batt dummy light, I think any time engine not running = alternator not making juice you will get that. I think it's supposed to tell you your alt failed or belt broke while engine running, hence light on when not running.

When you say jump, you're shorting across starter solenoid power terminals? So maybe solenoid coil is open (failed) or a relay in the start/ignition circuit?

For your batt dummy light, I think any time engine not running = alternator not making juice you will get that. I think it's supposed to tell you your alt failed or belt broke while engine running, hence light on when not running.

Correct I am taking a wire and going from the big bolt that has direct connection from the batter to the little black clip on the starter and it starts right up.

One other thing to note is when it does start the radio resets itself

Makes it sound like bad battery cell or high resistance at terminals because your starter starting current along with accessories powered are causing the batt to fail under starting load or high resistance connection causing voltage drop low enough to cause stuff to reset. Had this happen on different cars for those 2 reasons without warning. I didn't think it could be that simple but it was.

Makes it sound like bad battery cell or high resistance at terminals because your starter starting current along with accessories powered are causing the batt to fail under starting load or high resistance connection causing voltage drop low enough to cause stuff to reset. Had this happen on different cars for those 2 reasons without warning. I didn't think it could be that simple but it was.

That sounds good I will try swapping the battery when the wife gets home and see if that helps. I did try jumping with the BMW but that did not work. I will also get a set of brand new fusible links from Toyota

Mine used to have an intermittant bad connection at the positive battery terminal at the loom, and some wiggling back and forth would get it working. I'd have radio and lights, but turning the key would cause everything to shut down with one large loud click, and no starter clicking.

If you can start the truck by shorting the hot lead of the starter to the logic side of the starter, then the battery is good.
The logic path: positive battery terminal, fusible links, fuse AM1, ignition switch, NSS, starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom