March trail run Shelf Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Shelf road run is scheduled for Saturday March 18, This is a good family run. We can run "The Bank Trail" and for this who have time can run Phantom Canyon back up to Cripple Creek.

Meet at the Western convenience store south of Woodland Park (Crystola) between 0800 and 0830hrs. Head for the trail at 0830hrs.

There is a good picnic spot at the bottom of the shelf road and I'm planning on bringing a grill.

I'm in Canon City. What is your ETA at the upper end of Shelf Rd in Cripple Creek? I'd probably meet you there.

Which direction do you run the Bank Trail.....start at the Bank (north) or start from the Sand Gulch end (south)?

Thanks

Jim

Im suprised we aren't starting this from the South end. I think it'd be quicker to get on the trail

For what it's worth, starting Shelf from the north puts you on the high side in the Shelf segment.

I was on it a week ago. Every vehicle I met on a blind corner was going too fast and not hugging his side.

I'm in. We got snowed out on this run last year. Cross your fingers!

@000doodie000 Josh, this is the thread for the March 18, 2017 run!

Last edited:
I'm in Canon City. What is your ETA at the upper end of Shelf Rd in Cripple Creek? I'd probably meet you there.

Which direction do you run the Bank Trail.....start at the Bank (north) or start from the Sand Gulch end (south)?

Thanks

Jim
Hard to estimate but I'm hoping we get to the Bank campground by noon?? I've only run "The Bank starting at the south trail head. Not sure it matters much do you have a suggestion?

Hard to estimate but I'm hoping we get to the Bank campground by noon?? I've only run "The Bank starting at the south trail head. Not sure it matters much do you have a suggestion?

I ran the Bank trail last year. From the south end (Sand Gulch?) you climb to a flat area where there is a narrow quarry or mine of some sort. Just past that is a descent into another gulch. That descent is steep, loose rock and heavily eroded. I am not locked and doubt that I could climb it if the start was from the Bank (north) end. But that's just me and do not modify the plan on my account.

If I can make it I would probably link up with you guys at Cripple Creek rather than the Bank.

Traildamage rates the Bank as a 2 or 3. The last two times I was on it I ran into folks that needed help. A guy in a Honda that blew a tire then tried to get over far enough to let a vehicle pass. He slipped over the edge and got high centered.
03-20-16_HONDA_CRV_RECOVERY_BANK_3.jpg

03-20-16_HONDA_CRV_RECOVERY_BANK_3.jpg

The other was a 4WD F150 with the right front wheel at an odd angle. That is the '79 FJ40 I bought new and sold last year (sniff).

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, the trail damage page was last updated in June, 2008.

The Bank | Trails Offroad

Yeah - a lot of trails and secondary roads near here washed out bad in 2014. Phantom Canyon was closed for several months.

The guy driving the Honda decided to try the Bank based on that TD rating.

We are bring a grill if anyone wants to cook burgers hotdogs or brats.

I am going to try and make this as a shakedown run for the Swell trip.

To confirm, still meeting at the Western, correct?

I just got called to work a job on Saturday and Sunday this weekend; this means I am out for the trail ride.

I cannot make it.

NOTE re the Bank 4WD trail: I was there two weeks ago and the gates on both ends were locked. You might want to call the Royal Gorge BLM office to find out if they have been opened.

Given the group, I'd say we stay with the original meeting location and time:

Meet at the Western convenience store south of Woodland Park (Crystola) between 0800 and 0830hrs. Head for the trail at 0830hrs.

Pops if your bringing a grill, I have a pack of 12 hot dogs and 8 will be available to anyone that wants them. Will have some condaments and buns but not enough for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom