Squeaky Steering Wheel on Turning??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started this winter, thought it was just hitting a plastic housing/trim piece and rubbing, creating a squeal. Got worse, can't find where it's rubbing. No functionality lost, just annoying as hell.

Is this an 80 series thing? Does anyone else have this problem, or is it something wrong with mine specifically.

Started this winter, thought it was just hitting a plastic housing/trim piece and rubbing, creating a squeal. Got worse, can't find where it's rubbing. No functionality lost, just annoying as hell.

Is this an 80 series thing? Does anyone else have this problem, or is it something wrong with mine specifically.
Might be seasonal, as in cold weather. It comes up from time to time with mine. Almost exclusively in the morning. No idea of the cause.

Damaged clock spring? My 100 was squeaky, turned out to be that part.

Yep, happens to me when it's cold and stops after a minute or so. There is a thread out there somewhere that answers this. Juice wasn't worth the squeeze for me on the fix.

Reactions: RFB
Yeah, it definitely started doing it when it was cold this fall. I figured it was that. It would squeal when I turned it, the truck and cabin would warm up and it would stop.

At this point it doesn't matter. It just keeps doing it whether it's warm or not. I'll check into the clock spring. It's going to the mechanic for a phantom defroster/rear wiper problem at some point soon anyway so I'll see what his take on that is.

Same deal.
Spray lube. <1min 1x a year.
Has worked for me for years.

Clock spring was replaced ten years ago but didnt fix squeak. Look under dash. Follow column to wheel and apply to bushing there.

Mine does this, where do you spray the lube?

I sprayed graphite between the steering wheel and the plastic housing just in front of it (the steering wheel turns, the housing does not).

Mine does it seasonally when it is cold. Just annoying as hell and makes the wife think there's something wrong. The graphite "sort of" fixed it. Driving mine daily really reduced the frequency of it happening.

Mine does this as well. But i can't seem to pin point if it is seasonal.

Bringing this one back to the top..

my 96 is terrible when its getting colder outside. When the cabin warms up its better, but when driving when its cold the steering wheel shrieks when turning left. Only left. Only at one particular point in the revolution, about the time the heater starts putting out warm air it goes away.

I read a post (and studied intently!!) about rebuilding the horn contact ring, and then realized it doesn't apply to my rig, I'm thinking about trying the SIR coil but it appears a lot of folks have gone this route and it didn't fix it. I'm open to suggestions!!

Thanks!!

There a a thread on here that shows you where to spray lubricant on the steering column under the dash. I worked for me.

Mine does it as well when it gets in the low 50s.

Mine does this also, it didn't have the issue until I replaced the old broken column cover. Once I put a new cover on it started squeaking when it was cold out. Only for the first few minutes of driving. I assume that the plastic of the column cover contracts just enough when it's cold out that it rubs against the steering.

Fixed this annoyance on both, my 93 and 94, by cleaning and lubricating the horn contact ring and spring loaded contact.

Follow the steering column up under steering wheel with fingers . You will feel a ridge under along the shaft. Hit that with lube. It works for me.
I believe this is what you are aiming for:
20171102_153624.png
20171102_160228.png

Just found mine. All it needed was a squirt of this s***
9Qrarby.jpg

Into this hole on top of the tilt
jz6Yl6C.jpg

P7RSYQd.jpg

And no more squeak. We’ll see how long it lasts, I may need some different stuff I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom