Random chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it yours?????

Yeah, did that follow you home?

Oh man, I wish. There is a used car lot that brings us a fair amount of cars to inspect/check out as they do not have their own shop.

It's a '71 and in pretty darn good shape. It is a 10 footer for sure, but probably the cleanest one I've seen to date. Once they have it listed online I'll post the link. I'm sure they will want an absurd amount for it. They brought us a '79 back in the summer that looked good from afar but was a total toilet up close. Holes in the frame, steering box falling out, ect. They had it listed for $15k

This guy stopped by our shop today. Was chatting with one of the owners. Didn't get a chance to chat him up but his rig was pretty sweet.

IMG_7121.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

Saw this in the FJ portion of Mud and figured I'd share over here. It's stunning, but my jaw hit the floor when I saw the price tag.

1974 Toyota FJ40

The concept is cool... TLC 4x4 did something similar with an FJ40 many moons ago. But they did it MUCH better.
Check out the booger welds on the firewall. There are too many things wrong with this abomination to list, beginning with the door panels and the hacked dash with bad "carbon fiber" tape end covers. Also, they couldn't be bothered to pull the 4 total bolts to remove the door limiters before painting...
Not worth it at 1/2 the price. IMHO.

I could watch videos like this ALL day long!

<iframe src="Facebook" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Don't think they'll get anywhere near the $60K. I do like a lot about the truck (not that I'm trying to scrape up the cash to buy it!). I see a guy from VA may have done a few receipts worth of resto work- Paul Humphrey body repairs and frame straightening? Never heard of him. And is that a VA or NJ inspection sticker on the windshield? Not PA. Would love to know what this thing eventually sells for.

For that $$ I want all original engine, matching numbers and the dash signed by mr Toyoda, then I'll consider $30k This is way overpriced.

Virginia. Saw it outside their building a few months ago with VA tags on it as well. I'm certain that price is wishful thinking, but I'm also sure there is plenty of idiots out there.

Begin rant: Don't you hate it when....you're all excited to go check out a Cruiser for sale. Looks awesome in the pictures and seller says all the right things. You take time off work, spend hundreds on a plane ticket. Then you get there and wonder "where are the VIN tags?" Wait, what??? Frame number matches the title...good. "Oh there is one of the vin tags" - on the door frame (painted over of course), but wait it's different. Not only a different VIN, but one from a different model cruiser. F! I'm sure chances are I could have gotten a title in PA without the agent ever asking to see the VIN tag, but what if they did? What if I move to another state like OH that always checks the VIN tag? What's supposed to be a restored cream puff is really a frankentruck not nearly worth asking price. I guess an engine and drivetrain is "restored" if you take it out of one cruiser and drop it in another. Pay no attention to those oil leaks, homemade shackles, destroyed TREs, non-operable fan, broken heater control, and .... I'm thinking, is this guy trying to screw me? No, I can read his body language and have talked to him enough to realize, he's just clueless. It's starts, steers, and stops, and looks good doing it, so he is happy. So I'm standing there looking at what I thought was going to be my dream truck and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on the tags. And I think: I'm tired of rusty parts. I'm tired of trying to figure out what the F the PO was trying to do or thinking. F it. I walk. Chalk it up to another cruiser adventure, just not successful.

So I lost some vacation and wasted time and $$$ on plane tickets, but in the end I kept my money. I'd rather have my money at this point. End rant.

Begin rant: Don't you hate it when....you're all excited to go check out a Cruiser for sale. Looks awesome in the pictures and seller says all the right things. You take time off work, spend hundreds on a plane ticket. Then you get there and wonder "where are the VIN tags?" Wait, what??? Frame number matches the title...good. "Oh there is one of the vin tags" - on the door frame (painted over of course), but wait it's different. Not only a different VIN, but one from a different model cruiser. F! I'm sure chances are I could have gotten a title in PA without the agent ever asking to see the VIN tag, but what if they did? What if I move to another state like OH that always checks the VIN tag? What's supposed to be a restored cream puff is really a frankentruck not nearly worth asking price. I guess an engine and drivetrain is "restored" if you take it out of one cruiser and drop it in another. Pay no attention to those oil leaks, homemade shackles, destroyed TREs, non-operable fan, broken heater control, and .... I'm thinking, is this guy trying to screw me? No, I can read his body language and have talked to him enough to realize, he's just clueless. It's starts, steers, and stops, and looks good doing it, so he is happy. So I'm standing there looking at what I thought was going to be my dream truck and trying to decide if I want to roll the dice on the tags. And I think: I'm tired of rusty parts. I'm tired of trying to figure out what the F the PO was trying to do or thinking. F it. I walk. Chalk it up to another cruiser adventure, just not successful.

So I lost some vacation and wasted time and $$$ on plane tickets, but in the end I kept my money. I'd rather have my money at this point. End rant.
Wow. quite the story, I feel for you. It must have indeed looked good in the photos! I'd venture to guess there are more "frankentrucks" out there than completely original. My own 40 has the correct VIN number on the frame rail and ID plate but the engine and axles are not original (upgraded of course!). I was fortunate a few months ago when looking for a nice diesel 80 series truck. Lots out there right now but I was looking for something specific. Saw a truck that interested me and called the seller. Talked for almost two hours, I had a pretty comprehensive checklist prepared for the phone call. Felt good about the answers I got and had a pretty good feeling about the seller. Ended up making a conditional deal via EBay and sent the guy a deposit. Full payment and return of deposit conditional upon personal inspection and test drive of the truck. Drove six hours to see the truck, the owner met me at the hotel I was staying at and I was able to test drive the truck and go over it closely. It ended up being better than I had expected-imagine that- and I handed over the cashiers check I had brought with me. The truck is in my garage and I am quite happy with my deal.
In your case you did everything you could. If the truck and owner aren't what they say they are feel free to mention it somewhere in wherever they have the truck listed. Not much you could/should have done different unless having a person local to the truck do an objective evaluation for you. Just yesterday stopped at a shop (advertising vendor here on MUD) who showed me a truck that he blackballed to a prospective buyer. In this case he surely saved the potential new owner a lot of money and a lot of heartache.
Bottom line, ya never know. Could have been much worse in your case had you not flown out to look at it personally.
And, what exactly is your dream truck?

And may I add that I have bought land cruisers that I have seen only in photos and been disappointed when I got them home. Happens. Disappointing when it's someone you know whose idea off the truck turns out to be substantially different than your opinion. Awhile back I learned to expect the worst and pay accordingly. That way I can't be disappointed. Could keep me from making a good purchase some time but at least I don't spend money and be disappointed.

[QUOTE="shmukster, post: 10877365, member: Awhile back I learned to expect the worst and pay accordingly. That way I can't be disappointed. Could keep me from making a good purchase some time but at least I don't spend money and be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I think you win more than you loose thinking that way. Unfortunately there are more and more dishonest people out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom