New key options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I purchased and drove my new to me '06 back from Tampa last night (more details/pics in this post New member looking for first LC if interested) and, of course, the dealer only had the valet key. Yes, I've used the search and read the other key related posts that I could find. However, I still have two questions:

1. If I only have the valet, is my only option to go to the dealer to get a master made? From what I've read, it sounds like you have to have a master to create a master from the brake/gas pedal pump method.

2. My main concern is having the remote, not the ability to lock/unlock the glovebox (not sure what other differences there are with the master?). So, can I buy a blank online, have it cut from the valet, and then program the remote without having a master? Would love to just have a key with a remote without having to pay the dealer big $$$.

Thanks for the help!

My understanding is if you do not have the Master Key, you will have to have computer reprogrammed. You could check with a locksmith it may be cheaper if they are equipped to re program. If you were a AAA Member and lost your Master Key, I beleave they will cover a good portion of cost to replace it?

So I purchased and drove my new to me '06 back from Tampa last night (more details/pics in this post New member looking for first LC if interested) and, of course, the dealer only had the valet key. Yes, I've used the search and read the other key related posts that I could find. However, I still have two questions:

1. If I only have the valet, is my only option to go to the dealer to get a master made? From what I've read, it sounds like you have to have a master to create a master from the brake/gas pedal pump method.

You don't have to go a 'dealer', but without a 'Master' your ECU will need to be reflashed in order for it to go into auto-learn mode. So YES, you must have a 'master' in order to program any other keys.

2. My main concern is having the remote, not the ability to lock/unlock the glovebox (not sure what other differences there are with the master?).

A 'master' (from a programming aspect) will allow you to program additional keys, a Valet will not.

So, can I buy a blank online, have it cut from the valet, and then program the remote without having a master? Would love to just have a key with a remote without having to pay the dealer big $$$.

You could buy a blank, have it cut from the Valet....but you won't be able to program it. Also, that key would not open or lock your glovebox.

Thanks for the help!

I would go back the dealer and have THEM provide you with a working Master Key, it is pretty lame of them to sell a vehicle with only a Valet key.

Are you certain the key you have is not a 'master'? Does the security light go off immediately when you insert the key into the ignition, or after a few seconds?

1. "Valet" is how the key is cut mechanically. Master/non-master has to do with how the key was programmed. If the security light on the dash goes out immediately when the key is inserted, it's a master. If you can not lock/unlock the glove box with the key then it's a valet. Any Toyota dealer can cut you a non-valet key with your VIN, but they might not be able to pair it with your immobilizer. It's unlikely, but possible, to have a key that is a master and cut as a valet, or even a non-valet key on a grey key.

2. This question was asked a while back, but never answered. I doubt you will be able to program a remote without a master, but I don't know for sure.

Check with the dealer. I thought the lost key/ecu replacement program only applied to older cruisers, and they had another way in on the newer ones. Search on here for "Locksmith Charlie." He knows these trucks well and has all sorts of tricks up his sleeve. Give him a call and see what he thinks. He and other more technically advanced locksmiths can flash your ecu, then program you a master. It's cheaper than having the dealer fix it, but usually requires you send off your ecu and not be able to drive your truck for a week or so.

You probably saw this thread in the FAQs and it may have some relevant info. At the very least, it does have the link to locksmith Charley.

Programming a master or valet key

I read on here something about using techstream to remove/add master keys. I'm in Alpharetta and have techstream if you want to give it a shot.

Thanks for all the advice. Confirmed that my key is definitely a valet (security light takes about 3 seconds before it turns off after inserting key). Sounds like my options are to either get the ECU flashed or replaced since I don't have a master (unless the dealer has a different method for newer cruisers). Some of these threads mention that the dealer will replace the ECU for "free", just labor cost. I'm gonna do some research to see if there's a local locksmith who can flash the ECU without having to send it off to Locksmith Charlie and check with the dealer to see what they're willing to do. I'll report back on how I end up getting this resolved.

1. "Valet" is how the key is cut mechanically. Master/non-master has to do with how the key was programmed.

On vehicles with a trunk, this is true. You can physically "lock" the trunk by turning the master key one way and then the valet key and cable release will not work. However, on the 100 where there's no trunk, the difference programmed as a valet key can't be used to enter key programming mode and make additional keys that are programmed to start the vehicle. Not sure about the glove box, haven't ever tried to see, but I imagine that would be similar to the trunk.

Thanks for all the advice. Confirmed that my key is definitely a valet (security light takes about 3 seconds before it turns off after inserting key). Sounds like my options are to either get the ECU flashed or replaced since I don't have a master (unless the dealer has a different method for newer cruisers). Some of these threads mention that the dealer will replace the ECU for "free", just labor cost. I'm gonna do some research to see if there's a local locksmith who can flash the ECU without having to send it off to Locksmith Charlie and check with the dealer to see what they're willing to do. I'll report back on how I end up getting this resolved.

If you bought from a dealer, make THEM come up with a Master Key for you. I can't fathom they would sell a vehicle without at least one working 'master'. They are bound to know what is involved to create one.

Sorry should have specified, I bought from an independent dealer who bought the truck at auction from the Toyota dealer that it was traded into. This dealer said this was the only key it had when he bought it and that I'd probably have to go to a Toyota dealer to another one made. At the time I didn't think it would be that big of a deal because I had read posts here on MUD how to cut/program another key myself - what I didn't realize is that I HAD to have a master key to do this.

Sorry should have specified, I bought from an independent dealer who bought the truck at auction from the Toyota dealer that it was traded into. This dealer said this was the only key it had when he bought it and that I'd probably have to go to a Toyota dealer to another one made. At the time I didn't think it would be that big of a deal because I had read posts here on MUD how to cut/program another key myself - what I didn't realize is that I HAD to have a master key to do this.

^^^^^^^^ Gotcha. Entirely different deal.

So....at this juncture your best best is to find the closest and least expensive source to reflash your ECU (Typically $150.00) and have them program a cut key as a Master.

If you have to send your ECU off, most locksmiths will want the ECU and the drivers side door lock in order to cut you a key they know will work.

Sorry for your trouble, but thank you for starting the thread. Hopefully others will see/read this before making a purchase and know to get a Master Key with the vehicle or at least understand what is involved to get one if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom