Resuscitating My vortec Powered 60, Wont Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to start truck after 3+ years of it sitting. I had pulled the 5.3L Vortec/h55 a while back, sold the h55 and installed an nv4500. Cranks over fine but it appears it's got no spark. I cannot find the temp sender wire from the harness and the tranny wires are not connected, other than that, everything seems to be plugged in. The harness came from Fuel Injection Specialties and they are supposed to send me a schematic but I am still waiting. in the mean time, any suggestions?

Cranks over fine but it appears it's got no spark. I

Be 100% sure you got (or not) spark...saying "appears" won't help much... are you getting fuel and if so what is the pressure on the line...? Should be 58psi...

The harness came from Fuel Injection Specialties and they are supposed to send me a schematic but I am still waiting.

I had really bad service and work by FIS...so i wouldn't trust their work... you should be able to get the schematics for a gen lll on line...as they are all alike, unless you asked for something different..

If you had a MT from the beginning you shouldn't have any tranny wires hanging loose....

Is the MAF connected?

Be 100% sure you got (or not) spark...saying "appears" won't help much... are you getting fuel and if so what is the pressure on the line...? Should be 58psi...

I had really bad service and work by FIS...so i wouldn't trust their work... you should be able to get the schematics for a gen lll on line...as they are all alike, unless you asked for something different..

If you had a MT from the beginning you shouldn't have any tranny wires hanging loose....

Is the MAF connected?

Thanks Manu,

Plenty of fuel, regulator is ~58 psi. MAF is plugged in. Yes, I had issues with FIS but that is what the person who did the swap recommended at the time.

Luis

Anybody knows where this green wire goes? Seems to be coming from the inside and I cannot figure out where goes to. I am pulling the dash to trace it

20170303_183835.jpg

Guessing oil pressure gauge. Mines green where it connects to the sender. It's been so long I can't remember if i extended that wire though and maybe changed colors.

Thank you CE, looks like you may be correct.

I connected the obdII sensor today and I got code P1258. The green wire I mention above was to the temp sender which was not connected until today, still not starting. P1258 is a Coolant Over Temperature, the scanner said temp was ar 140*. Thing is, I have not even filled radiator/engine with coolant, will this make a difference? Also connected a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail schrader valve and gauge read 50psi which I know is low but is that not enough to at least try to start? I pulled the wire from #1 plug and there is a spark.

Timing off? Sorry, don't know squat about Vortex's.

I believe you need closer to 60 psi to open the poppet valves in the OEM fuel spider. Factory spec is 56-62. There's a mod to eliminate the troublesome poppet valves and that probably allows the use of lower fuel pressure.

Last edited:
I believe you need closer to 60 psi to open the poppet valves in the OEM fuel spider. There's a mod to eliminate the troublesome poppet valves and that probably allows the use of lower fuel pressure.
He has a 5.3 not a 5.7 so he shouldn't have the fuel spider found on LS1 correct? I am completely new to the LS world and learning before I do a swap (eventually).

Yep, you're correct. I didn't recall that the OP was talking about a 5.3. I assume Chevy solved the issue with later versions.

Nevermind. :confused:

He has a 5.3 not a 5.7 so he shouldn't have the fuel spider found on LS1 correct? I am completely new to the LS world and learning before I do a swap (eventually).

Last edited:
Up your fuel pressure regulator to 60 PSI. I believe you have one installed somewhere along the fuel line?
The code could be a sensor issue. Unplug the negative terminal on the battery overnight... but this should not keep the engine from running...

Thank you All! I will adjust pressure/disconnect battery this evening

I opened up the regulator all the way and pressure maxed out at 50 psi. I will change fuel filter tomorrow to see if it helps., otherwise it's time for a new pump.

New fuel pump, new filter, still no start. Pressure regulator at the firewall is around 57psi, and at the fuel rail it reads slightly above 50psi. I even sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body and cranked over but no start. I do have spark. More suggestions please

Thanks,
ML

I checked voltage to the injectors, 0V. trying to figure out where the fuse is at, if not trace/check wiring. Fuel Injection Services never got back with me with labeling of the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom