All terrain tire comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcgaskins

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought my 200 with 33" Duratracs that were howling pretty good because it appears the last owner didn't rotate them, and I wanted to upsize to a larger tire too since they measured below a true 33". I switched out the OEM 18" wheels for 17" Rock Warriors and found a lightly used set of 35" Toyo AT2s to see if they would fit and work well for my application. My last rig ran 37" KO2s, so the <33" tire wasn't going to work.

I honestly think the stance is perfect on the 200 with these tires, but I'd like to get a brand new set of tires now that it's dialed in (KDSS relocation, trimming and alignment done). I have slight rubbing only at full steering lock, and even though it's not a big deal I'd prefer a slightly narrower tire while keeping as much height as possible. There's nothing wrong with the 35" Toyos, but I like getting fresh shoes and these were bought mainly to see how the truck would handle them.

My 200 is my daily driver most of the time, and it sees mainly highway and sees all weather conditions. I like to wheel several times a year in typical Colorado conditions and do at least 1 Moab trip per year. Having good highway manners, snow traction and durability on the trail (hate changing flats) are the keys for what I'm looking for. I compiled a list of the tires I'm looking at below, and I'm leaning towards the Cooper ST MAXX because it offers close to the same height while losing a good bit of width and weight. The only downside I see is they're harder to find and much more expensive at nearly $400 more than the cheapest set on this list. Cost will not prohibit me from getting the right tire, but I do want to be somewhat cost conscious.

I sorted these in order of height then width and highlighted the top 2 in each category with comparisons to the current tires. Keep in mind, I'm using manufacturer spec sheets for these, so it's unlikely to be exact in reality. I know for a fact the BFG KO2 34x10.50x17 runs extremely small because I have a buddy with a set, and that along with it's huge price means I'm 99% crossing it off the list. It's a shame, because if that was a true measurement on the tire it would be a no brainer for me. For the extended cost, I added $20 for the mount and balance plus my local tax rate. It's not all inclusive but gets me close. I also usually get a decent discount negotiated in when I buy tires because I buy so many from the local shop.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I'm guessing a good percentage of us on this board have considered these tires at some point. I slapped this together in a couple mins tonight after a long day, so let me know if there are any glaring mistakes.

cJ8As2H3yGUFnXneUDKlN-mRflfhYJdGHqVS3aYXEExX8yz69HRRM4G5AE7bDRVMc7VTdVIEJBsCYiQTOSUlQeaBZ6Y98NpJoRkhMO7TM60OnjViYQKhDc1aJZ0KWMs_ayZ1KlqSiuG8mxMQ_bYEBsIspeDSSsgUEYM_WpV3vUHwcM5D5RACrOjIZiobyPxTM3rQN823LXDCyVeu5sRFDo64XGRiH9xQfeDQQhnpAFc50uocfizkrHxwW2DYXbP_jS_pn7xuSQapeVqGxnSlHkvmhg_WKw8lp0b_fUwxHS0K9PSbkhw1URYrQG8ozxu4duVjLkgbbjZfStJYtzJm75_Vg-7331x8RiCipysW_SMfqRsaHkfbcQ3m9Te6mjWYB84xBIjTjElROfp-WCkqSu5kGpnBKSLfVUhLfs4995C-0KgocfE5Un3--FV1sWE7rndeLxdW439maEGcW_rcz0jz4HDlh7PRVfFTkOgjGAHPAeBv-fwlnGTo89g0cdd7Pq2AqjoY9hTX6jnoVhU-zS6dnixI78MLm5DVgmyIm18RKvIxJxlw_V8_9nbyWQb8hrzbY0kd9sWD09mVd5W2xCqfUy-KIbFtUECgPD8EZyQCWVHuyw2F=w889-h201-no

QkR7PWxs-0qTr7_jIJxZhheRWySzm4drHGamf8P9ub7uVbEOo_Ff8CnobOYNV9lERI-HbVTZhUM2ODPId48sKmt6uITBevUEVkq4jYY7fXFCA1C5lbI0-NbMuquO_AOJnHBsgmh-ih2fhOtLyDi6buc2EtUOpF9JVtlgqKbgULd4O7_htbZBbTnV6R0CUGeVoQ7rKeazcdIiMD7fpq8CUn8q8nMPt_1483v-3-g0zzqX38zDxZsp8NnEqnaizqdNYi2yeLoHIpP3y0Uo1ST_LIvW73q8KTKu6ZFr9UoXjDA52e82do7uaXvaIAprTL61B5nhNWf4vino5BCSLLjlDHJE2cHKz50ns6sC7PgtAvwn9Rq1jaWHlXreTbJXoD1WurSaI9WbCxgccdfJeoRJWLB-2COloVFHhCVOJ99bHqGIvAPD5VJsfQpWB6kE5ujpgkKjhfE_JRwRCCdC7RGAiEdzm19hW30pciirphFqfVIIZ-RoQr_SDJKRtVCMabBHjUIqoTpZCJuYFAkxhbmbOY2gjcHQMGWEc2ZCHggCppRf-qKqhB9Eu2lDJNed3nvrYR8dKxAS4qsh0Pp3TcNwCdInJN58VUEz5vOtbAlw0lNkMutvpckH=w1299-h974-no

S/T Maxx were fantastic and ran a pretty true 35. I recently watch one of the 4xOverland videos with Paul Marsh who has far more experience than most people. He claimed to S/T Maxx to be on the same level as the KO2s in regards to reliability and traction and load. The issues with KO2s cracking have my attention. The Coopers will be my next tire.

Loving my ST's as a 80% street tire..... smooth and predictable yet rugged looking and fairlly competent on the limited runs I've been on....

far better then the TG's and Toyo RT's for a daily.... like you're thinking my 305's are almsot a full 35"....

E

I bought my 200 with 33" Duratracs that were howling pretty good because it appears the last owner didn't rotate them, and I wanted to upsize to a larger tire too since they measured below a true 33". I switched out the OEM 18" wheels for 17" Rock Warriors and found a lightly used set of 35" Toyo AT2s to see if they would fit and work well for my application. My last rig ran 37" KO2s, so the <33" tire wasn't going to work.

I honestly think the stance is perfect on the 200 with these tires, but I'd like to get a brand new set of tires now that it's dialed in (KDSS relocation, trimming and alignment done). I have slight rubbing only at full steering lock, and even though it's not a big deal I'd prefer a slightly narrower tire while keeping as much height as possible. There's nothing wrong with the 35" Toyos, but I like getting fresh shoes and these were bought mainly to see how the truck would handle them.

My 200 is my daily driver most of the time, and it sees mainly highway and sees all weather conditions. I like to wheel several times a year in typical Colorado conditions and do at least 1 Moab trip per year. Having good highway manners, snow traction and durability on the trail (hate changing flats) are the keys for what I'm looking for. I compiled a list of the tires I'm looking at below, and I'm leaning towards the Cooper ST MAXX because it offers close to the same height while losing a good bit of width and weight. The only downside I see is they're harder to find and much more expensive at nearly $400 more than the cheapest set on this list. Cost will not prohibit me from getting the right tire, but I do want to be somewhat cost conscious.

I sorted these in order of height then width and highlighted the top 2 in each category with comparisons to the current tires. Keep in mind, I'm using manufacturer spec sheets for these, so it's unlikely to be exact in reality. I know for a fact the BFG KO2 34x10.50x17 runs extremely small because I have a buddy with a set, and that along with it's huge price means I'm 99% crossing it off the list. It's a shame, because if that was a true measurement on the tire it would be a no brainer for me. For the extended cost, I added $20 for the mount and balance plus my local tax rate. It's not all inclusive but gets me close. I also usually get a decent discount negotiated in when I buy tires because I buy so many from the local shop.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I'm guessing a good percentage of us on this board have considered these tires at some point. I slapped this together in a couple mins tonight after a long day, so let me know if there are any glaring mistakes.

cJ8As2H3yGUFnXneUDKlN-mRflfhYJdGHqVS3aYXEExX8yz69HRRM4G5AE7bDRVMc7VTdVIEJBsCYiQTOSUlQeaBZ6Y98NpJoRkhMO7TM60OnjViYQKhDc1aJZ0KWMs_ayZ1KlqSiuG8mxMQ_bYEBsIspeDSSsgUEYM_WpV3vUHwcM5D5RACrOjIZiobyPxTM3rQN823LXDCyVeu5sRFDo64XGRiH9xQfeDQQhnpAFc50uocfizkrHxwW2DYXbP_jS_pn7xuSQapeVqGxnSlHkvmhg_WKw8lp0b_fUwxHS0K9PSbkhw1URYrQG8ozxu4duVjLkgbbjZfStJYtzJm75_Vg-7331x8RiCipysW_SMfqRsaHkfbcQ3m9Te6mjWYB84xBIjTjElROfp-WCkqSu5kGpnBKSLfVUhLfs4995C-0KgocfE5Un3--FV1sWE7rndeLxdW439maEGcW_rcz0jz4HDlh7PRVfFTkOgjGAHPAeBv-fwlnGTo89g0cdd7Pq2AqjoY9hTX6jnoVhU-zS6dnixI78MLm5DVgmyIm18RKvIxJxlw_V8_9nbyWQb8hrzbY0kd9sWD09mVd5W2xCqfUy-KIbFtUECgPD8EZyQCWVHuyw2F=w889-h201-no

QkR7PWxs-0qTr7_jIJxZhheRWySzm4drHGamf8P9ub7uVbEOo_Ff8CnobOYNV9lERI-HbVTZhUM2ODPId48sKmt6uITBevUEVkq4jYY7fXFCA1C5lbI0-NbMuquO_AOJnHBsgmh-ih2fhOtLyDi6buc2EtUOpF9JVtlgqKbgULd4O7_htbZBbTnV6R0CUGeVoQ7rKeazcdIiMD7fpq8CUn8q8nMPt_1483v-3-g0zzqX38zDxZsp8NnEqnaizqdNYi2yeLoHIpP3y0Uo1ST_LIvW73q8KTKu6ZFr9UoXjDA52e82do7uaXvaIAprTL61B5nhNWf4vino5BCSLLjlDHJE2cHKz50ns6sC7PgtAvwn9Rq1jaWHlXreTbJXoD1WurSaI9WbCxgccdfJeoRJWLB-2COloVFHhCVOJ99bHqGIvAPD5VJsfQpWB6kE5ujpgkKjhfE_JRwRCCdC7RGAiEdzm19hW30pciirphFqfVIIZ-RoQr_SDJKRtVCMabBHjUIqoTpZCJuYFAkxhbmbOY2gjcHQMGWEc2ZCHggCppRf-qKqhB9Eu2lDJNed3nvrYR8dKxAS4qsh0Pp3TcNwCdInJN58VUEz5vOtbAlw0lNkMutvpckH=w1299-h974-no
Just for some information, but I'm sure you want to run bigger. I have a 34x10.5 KO2 sitting next to a 295/70r17 STT Pro. They are both advertised as 33.5" tall. They are also real world the exact same height (double checked with being the same diameter.)

I think where people are saying the 34x10.5 KO2 is small is when mounted and loaded down with the truck. Both of those tires I mentioned, once sitting on the ground with the weight of the 200, measured 32" tall.

Don't know if that helped, just trying to give some real world feedback.

Just for some information, but I'm sure you want to run bigger. I have a 34x10.5 KO2 sitting next to a 295/70r17 STT Pro. They are both advertised as 33.5" tall. They are also real world the exact same height (double checked with being the same diameter.)

I think where people are saying the 34x10.5 KO2 is small is when mounted and loaded down with the truck. Both of those tires I mentioned, once sitting on the ground with the weight of the 200, measured 32" tall.

Don't know if that helped, just trying to give some real world feedback.

YES. This is EXACTLY the kind of real-world, mounted measurements I'm always looking for. They are extremely difficult to find, and usually means asking someone to literally go out and measure. Have you measured them left to right (other than ground to top)? That's a helpful measurement when thinking about rubbing, etc.

YES. This is EXACTLY the kind of real-world, mounted measurements I'm always looking for. They are extremely difficult to find, and usually means asking someone to literally go out and measure. Have you measured them left to right (other than ground to top)? That's a helpful measurement when thinking about rubbing, etc.
When loaded with the weight of the truck, no.

When mounted on just a wheel and inflated to max pressure on the sidewall, yes.

The 5 STT Pros came out to an average of 33.45" diameter.
The 5 KO2s came out to an average of 33.40" diameter.

Got another one for yea @Markuson since I know you have a 285/70r17 KO2.

The 285/70r17 and 34x10.50x17 KO2s, when unmounted and just laying on a floor. I measured the 285 at 104.1" circumference (33.1" tall) and the 34 at 104.3 circumference (33.2 tall).

Just when inflating, the 285 went wider and the 34 went taller.

Got another one for yea @Markuson since I know you have a 285/70r17 KO2.

The 285/70r17 and 34x10.50x17 KO2s, when unmounted and just laying on a floor. I measured the 285 at 104.1" circumference (33.1" tall) and the 34 at 104.3 circumference (33.2 tall).

Just when inflating, the 285 went wider and the 34 went taller.

Very interesting and helpful.
Thank you!

I'm glad to hear the kudos for the ST Maxx! I'm going to call around today to see if I can find one locally so I can see it in person, but that's the leader right now. I'm also really curious to see the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in person because the reviews I've read are all glowing and the tire is far and away the cheapest.

I second the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. I also went that way because of the rave reviews. Even on my LX570, they have incredible road manners that you simply could not get, a generation of AT tires back. And this on the most aggressive tread depths in the category. Superior tread depth, low noise, and great rain and snow performance are what convinced me. I was willing to pay a premium for a premium product, so the fact that it was so price competitive was just icing on the cake. Heck, I replaced 5 tires, and was still under the cost of a competing 4 tire set.

don't go cheap on toilet paper, shoes or tires - life lessons

FWIW, I have found that Discount Tire will match local or online competitors. I often look at tirerack, tirebuyer and discount tire direct for comparison.

I usually find that Tirebuyer has the best deal (google for a Tirebuyer coupon code to get max savings). I have used tirebuyer 3 times, and had them shipped and installed at a Firestone dealer each time (Free shipping and reasonable install pricing through their preferred installers). Worked out well every time.

FWIW, I have found that Discount Tire will match local or online competitors. I often look at tirerack, tirebuyer and discount tire direct for comparison.

I usually find that Tirebuyer has the best deal (google for a Tirebuyer coupon code to get max savings). I have used tirebuyer 3 times, and had them shipped and installed at a Firestone dealer each time (Free shipping and reasonable install pricing through their preferred installers). Worked out well every time.

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't looked at Tirebuyer yet, but their prices are great and they have a local warehouse offering same day free shipping to an installer! They don't offer Cooper unfortunately, but they do offer everything else.

2nd Tirebuyer. Just used them. They had a local warehouse. But doesn't really matter as it's free shipping to a local Firestone AND they gave an additional $80 discount for using their network provider. Install was $90, so practically free installation.

I used Discount Tires a bazillion times and the couldn't touch the price from Tirebuyer.

2nd Tirebuyer. Just used them. They had a local warehouse. But doesn't really matter as it's free shipping to a local Firestone AND they gave an additional $80 discount for using their network provider. Install was $90, so practically free installation.

I used Discount Tires a bazillion times and the couldn't touch the price from Tirebuyer.

The $80 discount you received - was that an online offer or promo code or something? I'm not seeing it on their website...

I'm glad to hear the kudos for the ST Maxx! I'm going to call around today to see if I can find one locally so I can see it in person, but that's the leader right now. I'm also really curious to see the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in person because the reviews I've read are all glowing and the tire is far and away the cheapest.

Just my .02 cents. I had st maxxs right when they came out on my 14' Tacoma. 255/80/17. They were short lived. I absolutely hated them. They did well off road for an AT but that was the only
Redeaming quality in my book. They wore out in less than 18k miles of 98% road/highway use. They were also extremely loud for an AT, even from the get go . I then went to km2s and the sound was comparable and they lasted 30k+. They were on it when I sold it. Everyone has very different feelings about tires. I read a bunch of you seem to love them. I'll never own another set of those. My brother has the Cooper at3? On his 4Runner and he's had good use out of them. Didn't mean to crush anyone's dreams.

The $80 discount you received - was that an online offer or promo code or something? I'm not seeing it on their website...

Sorry, missed this. It was probably a promo and showed up during checkout. Perhaps it's a regional thing and they were trying to steer business to their affiliates?

Another .02 cents. I was running the Cooper AT3 on the 80 series for a few years and finally sold them for 50 bucks each with 80% remaining. I had more flats and out of round and separation problems with there weak carcass that I had to replace one or another so often that I would never wear out a set. I could not let my son drive on those tires. I put the 4 ply Yokahama snow tires back on the 80 and no flats or other failures, 3 winters and 2 summers on them. Running KO2 on the 200 and won't look back. Tires don't just go round and round.
Sorry for the rant, thanks for listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom