Death Valley 3/25/17 - 4/2/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The dates for this year's spring DV trip is 3/25/17 - 4/2/17. Leave on a Sat, return home on the following week Sunday. Hopefully we'll see the spring flower bloom in DV and not hit too much bad weather. However, bad weather is always a possibility in DV during that time of the year.

This destination offers up lots of washboards, dirt roads, mild rock climbing here and there but overall breathtaking scenery and historical stuff. We'll likely move on a daily basis unless we find a spot that's worth exploring on foot. Plan on spending the first day at the Saline valley hot springs. After 16+ hours of hwy driving, it's nice to chill and soak in the hot springs.

Equipment:
- good tires and this one is a must. DV is murderous on tires and suspensions. One spare and a repair kit is mandatory.
-OBA (on board air comp). You must be able to inflate your tires in case we need to jump on the asphalt and travel a fair amount. Also helps to blow dust out of things while setting up camp.
- tire deflators (option)
- tire press gauge
- good shocks. If you're planning on upgrading your suspension, now is the time as this will be a torture test!
-usual recovery gear
- a lift isn't necessary but might make you feel better. I have a 2" lift and still running stock size tires 265 70/17s. The 4th Gens are a true soccer mom car so w/o a lift I get hung up on the Walmart speed bumps.

Food:
- as the time gets closer, we can come up with a meal plan of some sort. In the past, we took turns cooking one day and then kicking back the remaining days.
- ten gal of water for potable and non potable use.

Fuel:
- ten gallons of extra fuel capacity. Fuel inside the park is stupid expensive but we can't seem to pass one by w/o topping off!

Clothes:
- plan for summer and winter

Comm:
- HAM 2M radios. Mobile or hand held radios, doesn't matter. For your handie talkies, I'd purchase a mag mount for the roof. This will throw your signal much further than the tiny rubber antenna stuck to the HTs. A typical group convoy puts the vehicles at more than half mile apart due to the dust issue. So the distance between the head and tail rigs can be few miles apart.

Sleeping:
- I used to sleep inside of my 80 in the past but this time I'll be taking the 4Runner and a RTT. Ground tents are fine or tent cots - whatever suits your fancy. Depending on the elevation or weather, the night temps may drop below freezing so just be prepared for it.

Mechanical:
- Bring a selection of metric hardware. Things may fall off due to the washboard roads in DV.
- Torque, Torque, Torque, Torque, Torque, Torque, Torque, all of your suspension and brake caliper hardware. Don't take this warning lightly as it has caused several issues in past DV trips. I lost a critical suspension bolt in DV one year and had to <GASP> use a bolt from a Jeep so that I could get home.
- Make sure your rig has a solid front and rear recovery mounts.
- I'll pack an extra CV axle and associated tools for that project.
- bring a spare air filter for the DV portion then switch it back out for the drive home.

Pets:
- no problem

Misc:
- I use a PETT toilet system and carry my WAG bags with me until a dumpster is found for proper disposal.
- Pack your FSMs just in case either in electronic form or hard copy.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Potential attendees:
- John F.
- Ron G.
- Ali
- Lynn
- VegasFJ40
- Coops2k

What about small trailers, see picture, it's made to go off road

Also if I go, I have to leave early, I have to be back in Pagosa on Saturday the 1st

What about small trailers, see picture, it's made to go off road

Also if I go, I have to leave early, I have to be back in Pagosa on Saturday the 1st

Your trailer will be no issue and no problem about leaving early either!

I am trying to figure out if this is going to work? Looks like the family trip to Moab area is going to happen the 12th through the 18th, this might put a damper on the DV trip. I haven't given up hope yet. It would be pretty sweet to meet Bruce and have two GX's on this trip!

Your trailer will be no issue and no problem about leaving early either!

Ok, then I need to take care of some stuff around the house and on the GX and trailer. Will know for sure by middle of March

I thought I was going to be able to go but with all the crap Ash is bolting on his 4r I'm going to be too stock to keep up...:poop::poop::crybaby::flipoff2:

I thought I was going to be able to go but with all the crap Ash is bolting on his 4r I'm going to be too stock to keep up...:poop::poop::crybaby::flipoff2:

Oh please, you're going. You got the "trail edition" which means to me no bolt on required. I'm just trying to catch up to you for crying out loud!

Oh please, you're going. You got the "trail edition" which means to me no bolt on required. I'm just trying to catch up to you for crying out loud!

teehee, I was kidding... mostly... this weekend will start the sleeping and aux power mods.

I'm going to need to borrow a NATO fuel can from someone for this trip. I already have one but need a second one.

I'm going to need to borrow a NATO fuel can from someone for this trip. I already have one but need a second one.
I have one.

It looks like I am out, not enough time. Headed to Tucson & Scottsdale, to visit family who will be there and to help a friend move to LA and will not have time to get ready for this.

my platform is done, skids should go on this week and i'll pull rear power by this weekend. Got a few other major odds and ends to complete, but no show stoppers.

Yeah, I've been busy as well. Got the OBA done, working on engine tear down for a new timing belt+water pump in the next few days. Sliders are now holding compressed air so we can now make Margaritas! :bounce:

Engine bay lighting and rear cargo area lighting almost done. Hoping to build a cargo platform next weekend.

Yeah, I've been busy as well. Got the OBA done, working on engine tear down for a new timing belt+water pump in the next few days. Sliders are now holding compressed air so we can now make Margaritas! :bounce:

Engine bay lighting and rear cargo area lighting almost done. Hoping to build a cargo platform next weekend.

I have some cardboard left over for platform top templates if you want to have some.

If you all see a red 3rd gen 4runner out there with an ARB bumper and awning, flag them down. My friend Tom will be out there with his family during the first few days of the trip.

We'll keep an eye out. He's out there in a solo vehicle with the family? Dang, that's a brave dude!

We'll keep an eye out. He's out there in a solo vehicle with the family? Dang, that's a brave dude!
Solo? In Death Valley? That's sissy stuff.

John and I are heading out from ABQ on Sat morning. Would love to see you Onur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom