Need Help: Turning LC 100 into an Arctic Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am very new to this website and forum. I have reviewed many threads and y'all do some awesome things to your land cruisers. I would love some input/opinions on the best way to convert my 1998 Land Cruiser 100 to a bad ass arctic truck.

Recently I took my family to Iceland and we were amazed by the tricked out custom arctic trucks. So much so that I bought a Land Cruiser to make my own arctic truck. I would however like to avoid putting 30-40k into this project. Please let me know what suggestions you might have to complete this dream but not to go broke doing it. I've met with a great fabricator guy and I think the best way is to minimize the about of wheel well customization. I would rather build the wheels out then in but what are the biggest tires and rim combinations that I could fit? I am willing to do some fabrication but the Icelandic arctic trucks are insanely modified. This vehicle will be used to road travel about 50% of the time and off road 50%. Please feel free to comment of any and all modifications (guards, bumpers, wenches, lights, snorkels, etc.) that you would suggest ans specifics would help immensely.

THANK YOU in advance for your input!
Kevin in Anchorage, AK

Land Cruiser 98.jpeg

Search Arctic truck 100 Series. There was a thread several years ago on this.

Depends on tire size and how much you want to spend. @SoCal FZJ80 could you give more info.

I suspect you'll need custom CV axles made to handle the added load- length-articulation. You might look into a solid axle set up, and copy whats been done for 80 series.

Betting you'll spend every bit of $30k and prob much more customizing an arctic/tundra ready truck, unless you have excellent fab & mechanical skills. Sounds cool though- good luck with the build

PORTALS! DO IT!

A true arctic truck isn't going to be a good daily driver. And you won't be able to build one cheap. In fact you won't want to build it cheat. Can you imagine being out in the middle of the tundra, and thinking to yourself, man I wish I had bought a better winch. those guys go places where no one else can help them. That's why they spend a lot of money for redundancy and building up their trucks for reliability.

Snow Warrior option?

Recommend going with an 80 series as a platform. Already has the straight axle. The bolt pattern allows wheels (off the shelf) that are 15x12 with the offset you need. You can also get 5.29's for the axle vs only 4.88's for the 100.

where do you actually plan on going in your "Arctic Truck" ?

I also drive a 1998 LC and live in Alaska. Mine is stock except for a block heater and studded winter tires, and I have taken it above the Arctic circle several times, and all over Alaska. runs great.

I guess I'm not clear on the intended use. Unless you plan on using your LC for climbing frozen waterfalls or something, it will do very well in stock form.

A true arctic truck isn't going to be a good daily driver. And you won't be able to build one cheap. In fact you won't want to build it cheat. Can you imagine being out in the middle of the tundra, and thinking to yourself, man I wish I had bought a better winch.

???

I think "a tire" in those arctic truck is about $2000

Hey Doc
I am not sure how you would build a 100 series. Talk with Dan at Green Tree Fabrication. I have a binder of research on the 80 series about 2" thick. Dan took it for a week then picked up my project when I had taken it as far as I could with my skills.

Dan can also tell you if it can be done with a 100. I can help source most of the bits & pieces, but I would not even start until you have the tires. Very difficult to find 44" tires with a modest AT type tread. I saw recently that Nokian Hakkapeliitta had a 44" snow tire that would be awesome if it's available in this country.

PS my shoulder is doing great. Swimming twice a week !!

Posted this in the 80 series forum today.

Not sure if a 100 series can be built for this purpose, but having a ready source for tires will help, what ever direction you go

New Tire Option for an Arctic Truck Build

Posted this in the 80 series forum today.

Not sure if a 100 series can be built for this purpose, but having a ready source for tires will help, what ever direction you go

New Tire Option for an Arctic Truck Build

A little more tire info

?Hi Steven,

No need to apologize. The 44 will be distributed through Nokian Tyres. Our retail locations wouldn't keep these tires in stock, so it would be ordered upon request.

Best,
Jill

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 3.3.2017 17:31
To: marketingna@nokiantyres.com
Subject: Re: 44" Nokian tyres in North America ?

I'm sorry one more question. Read the press release, and currently only available through Arctic Trucks

I do not believe Arctic Trucks has a distribution system in the U.S.

Do you know how Nokian plans to distribute in the U.S. ? Local Nokian dealerships ?

I would however like to avoid putting 30-40k into this project.
I'm not sure how t can be done without a SAS, and that's big money. With a SAS I bet you're well over $30k.

Best to buy an 80 or wait a few years until a 105 can be imported.

Little while back, this LX470 double (F&R) axle swap with eLocker cable conversion on 38". Would fit 44" tires with the bigger fender flare kit. Building a vehicle like a Arctic vehicle requires more than just bolt on parts, there will be modification to many parts of the vehicle
including axles, braking, steering, suspension, gearing, computer/electrical, and body. 2nd pic
is test fitting a 43x14.50 on a 20x14 Wheel. The fender arch would need to be larger, this illustrates the need for the body modification for clearance.

You can do anything you want, it just requires commitment.

These kinds of projects are costly and take a lot of time & patience.

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom