Urban Assault Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a build thread for my daily driver. Needs to get me all over Colorado roads no matter the weather. Offroad duty is for my other rig.I found a sr5 sport for 3400, needed a rear differential. Had a Rev tek spacer lift and kyb shocks and struts, it rode really well actually. It had new tires, and offset aftermarket wheels, no locker. I got a used differential for it.
IMG_20150715_184103.jpg

Last edited:
As I drove the black one, I really wanted the little extra comfort of the limited models. They aren't much more money, so back on Craigs I went. I found a lady selling a stock black and gold limited 1999. It had a locker, but the lady had no idea what it was. Discreetly on the test drive I engaged it to see if it worked. Picked this gem up for 4500 with 190k. Leather driver seat was torn, but it was clean, and just had the tbeltand water pump done.
00L0L_fBuIO2ZFCR1_600x450.jpg

So now I had the options I wanted in the limited, power leather, locker was a plus, automatic climate control, and nicer interior trim. The goal is to have a good driver to handle the majority of conditions Colorado dishes out. I really didn't want to do much for offroad mods on the runner as I wanted decent Street manners and comfort. Since I decided the sr5 wasn't quite what I wanted, I sold it. But I loved the exterior sport package, so I decided to do some parts swapping...
So here she is, the sr5 with the sport trim stripped and limited trim swapped. I also swapped the wheels and tires before I sold it. I had to swap the whole doors, bumpers, flares, hood, and hatch, and door panels. Then I sold the sr5 and made a fair chunk on it
image.jpg

And here is the limited with the sr5 sport trim. More work than I thought swapping the parts around. I found some factory running boards on Craigs, so I picked those up. I like running boards on it because they really protect the body from rock chips, and keep a lot of road crap off the sides. I found a set of bilsteins on Craigs, the front now rides really nice. The rear is a little stiff, not sure if that's typical with bilsteins. Part of me wants to lift it to have a stance similar to the sr5, but it handles nice at this height. And it's easy for people to get into.
IMG_20150924_235226.jpg

Last edited:
Took the headlights apart and installed projectors with h1 hid bulbs. Also installed new led lights in the dash...
20170109_172156-600x800.jpg
20170109_172455-800x600.jpg
I'm really impressed by how much better the light is with these headlights for the money. My meth pump crapped out so I installed a 300psi devils own pump. I've been running a 50% mixture. Also I took a factory supercharger pulley and had it machined to 2.0". The URD pulley was chewing up belts pretty bad.

Last edited:
Pretty sweet. I've been wanting a "stock" supercharged 4runner/Tacoma/Tundra daily driver for awhile now.

I love the 3rd generation 4Runners. I drove a '99 in college. I've owned a 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and now my wife has a 4th gen. If you could combine the body of the 3rd gen with the handling and feel of the 4th gen, that would be the most ideal 4Runner IMO. I should've never sold it. If I had a supercharger on it, I probably wouldn't have. Here she is on a bachelor party/trip to the mountain for some skiing/snowboarding/gambling in New Mexico.

4R.jpg

My 3rd Gen LTD was one of finest rigs I have EVER owned. Had to sell for a rig that can tow 5000+lbs. The 200 series fits the bill, time will tell if it lives up to the 4Runner.

I love the 3rd generation 4Runners. I drove a '99 in college. I've owned a 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and now my wife has a 4th gen. If you could combine the body of the 3rd gen with the handling and feel of the 4th gen, that would be the most ideal 4Runner IMO. I should've never sold it. If I had a supercharger on it, I probably wouldn't have. Here she is on a bachelor party/trip to the mountain for some skiing/snowboarding/gambling in New Mexico.

View attachment 1408681
That thing has a nice stance to it. The supercharger transforms it into another vehicle. It feels totally different.

My 3rd Gen LTD was one of finest rigs I have EVER owned. Had to sell for a rig that can tow 5000+lbs. The 200 series fits the bill, time will tell if it lives up to the 4Runner.
200 series are nice. I've driven quite a few of them as I work on them time to time. I only need to tow once or twice a year my fj40 on a dolly with brakes to tow it to moab. I'm going to put a brake controller on the 4runner and do a test run pulling the 40. If it does OK I will use it to tow to moab. Last year I used a v8 fj60. It was fine except the Aussie locker it has makes things a little dicey around corners.

Valve cover gasket time! Here is what the valves look like with 1000s of miles of water meth...
20170814_184027-1209x1612.jpg

Cleaned up the supercharger, I ported this compressor a while ago. Silencer ports are also plugged. If u want a loud supercharger, and u want to increase efficiency a tiny bit, plug the silencer ports. It's easy to do on a 1st gen supercharger.
20170814_185830-756x1008.jpg

20170814_204835-1209x1612.jpg
20170815_191915-1008x756.jpg

Did you paint the calipers? I used Eastwood Extreme Ceramic frame paint or something like that on some calipers. Looks just about like that. I found the paint chips super easy even after a week of curing so I'm not happy about that.

Did you paint the calipers? I used Eastwood Extreme Ceramic frame paint or something like that on some calipers. Looks just about like that. I found the paint chips super easy even after a week of curing so I'm not happy about that.
Yea I just used some por15 I had laying around. Im not sure if it will chip not. They do make caliper paint but I just used whatever I had.

OK thanks. Looks good for POR15 (a lot better than my POR15 paint jobs anyway.) I'm sure it will hold up well.

Eric

Took the headlights apart and installed projectors with h1 hid bulbs. Also installed new led lights in the dash...I'm really impressed by how much better the light is with these headlights for the money.

Any threads out there on doing both of these? On my list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom