Hutchinson Rock Monsters and stripped bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

slo60

SILVER Star
Threads
I picked up a set of Rock Monster wheels and new Wrangler MT/r's the other day. Got around to mounting the tires tonight and had one of the nuts strip when bringing the torque up to 100 ft lbs.

I hand threaded all the nuts and tightened with a ratchet wrench (did not use an impact gun) before torquing in a star pattern around the wheel. Brought everything up to torque incrementally. I also used anti-seize on the bolt threads.

Has anyone else experienced issues with these bolts stripping?

I'll drill out the bolt from the back and replace with new parts and I'm definetly carrying spares!

Cheers!

IMG_3147.JPG

Your not the only one who has had issues with lugs stripping or breaking off. There was a thread a few months back from a member who had lugs shear on a trip home from Vegas. So not a bad idea to maybe change all of them at some point. Not sure it's from metal fatigue or what but just a what if factor. Additionally your torque wrench maybe off on what your torquing.

Your not the only one who has had issues with lugs stripping or breaking off. There was a thread a few months back from a member who had lugs shear on a trip home from Vegas. So not a bad idea to maybe change all of them at some point. Not sure it's from metal fatigue or what but just a what if factor. Additionally your torque wrench maybe off on what your torquing.
Just to be clear, it wasn't a lug nut that I stripped, it was one of the wheel bolts on the wheel itself. 71 torqued just fine, one did not. If you were referring to the lug nuts, I'm still good there. Thanks!

NO... we are clear that it was the stud that stripped. But some folks have been talking on here about the studs shearing. Glad it was just one. Like the way the wheels look...curious how they look on your ride!

NO... we are clear that it was the stud that stripped. But some folks have been talking on here about the studs shearing. Glad it was just one. Like the way the wheels look...curious how they look on your ride!
Shoots, I was really hoping you were talking about the lugnuts! I'll need to do some research now. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom