Width between corner channels 1975 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be replacing rear sill and corner channels, and need a few measurements please. I found where some one had said 41 1/16" another 41 3/8", I'd like to have the distance of both inside edges. As in pics. 1) where the quarter wraps around
DSCN0634.JPG
2) the major opening
DSCN0635.JPG

The corners are in pretty bad shape
DSCN0641.JPG
DSCN0642.JPG
Thank y'all in advance

I think your 40 has ambulance doors but my 1972 with barn doors is 40 3/4'' wide. My 1968 is right at 41'' Both 40s have hardtops on them.

Hopefully that helps and someone with ambulance doors will chime in.

I think your 40 has ambulance doors but my 1972 with barn doors is 40 3/4'' wide. My 1968 is right at 41'' Both 40s have hardtops on them.

Hopefully that helps and someone with ambulance doors will chime in.

Yes sir, it has ambulance doors. When I first looked at it, one of the big things that stood out was how bad the doors fit. Someone had quarters replaced and painted, no nut plates, for the doors or tire carrier, and wrong hinges so I'll have to line that out too.

This is from my '76 with ambulance doors. Right at 41" for the major opening.
I can get the outer corner measurement for you tomorrow if someone doesn't before then.

IMG_1436.JPG

Hey guys, one more measurement please. Can someone measure from the top edge of the square tube, (where the top bolts down) down to the top of the rear sill cover. Trying to make sure floor and sill are right before I weld it up, thanks for the help.

DSCN0654.JPG
I think what they did was cut off the quarters, cut out sill, installed the tube, then added the new quarters. I just want to be sure floor is located correctly. I don't know if they cut any length out of the corners when sill was removed, I do know they cut off the end of the bed where it joins the sill as the tube is wider.
DSCN0659.JPG

Lol, yea man. I think I got it now, I was over thinking it. I cut and rolled the bottom lip up (or down if the tub was turned right side up) that made room for the sill. But I still have to extend the quarter where the lip was folded over the old channel, then with the new channels in place I can get opening square. I got it by the yang yang now.
DSCN0662.JPG
This is what I'm dealing with on the d/s. The corner was rotten and out of plumb and the quarter was rolled over that edge and filled in.
DSCN0663.JPG
Its kicked out bad, I'll cut that corner from almost where the sill sits to the top lip and weld in a thin piece to make straight again.

Here are some more measurements for you.
Sorry I didn't get you the outer opening width last week, life got crazy busy between work and a sick/teething 10 month old :wacky:

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

That's freaking awesome @40Wanted , you the man! I remember when my boys went through that, you probably need to get some rest when ever you can! Took some pics, I started on the p/s as it looked to be the closest. Oh yea here's a shout out to @rkymtnflyfisher those patches came in today THANK YOU! if ever I can do anything for you let me know.
DSCN0665.JPG
Cut out that rot and put in new piece
DSCN0668.JPG
Finally got the corner like wanted it. I'll clean up that edge when I decide to put the sill in.
DSCN0672.JPG
Thought I was on easy street, but it was not to be. Had to cut quarter along the back side of the lip, so it would line up with the now straight corner.
DSCN0671.JPG
And found some more rot, just what I wanted to see! Welded up the cut and flap disked her smooth.

Last edited:
Hopefully those patches will be put to good use!

If I don't use them all I'll send them back to you, or what ever you want me to do with them. I haven't opened the box yet so I don't know how many is in it.

If I don't use them all I'll send them back to you, or what ever you want me to do with them. I haven't opened the box yet so I don't know how many is in it.

No need to send them back if you don't need them, just pass them along to the next unfortunate soul that is fixing a rusty old tub!

No need to send them back if you don't need them, just pass them along to the next unfortunate soul that is fixing a rusty old tub!

If you're looking for a unfortunate soul with a rusty tub I may be your guy. Already saved this thread for my rust repair/tub straightening job that's about to start. Read through rkymtnflyfisher's thread many times and the "Curing Cancer" thread as well to decide a plan of attack.

If you're looking for a unfortunate soul with a rusty tub I may be your guy. Already saved this thread for my rust repair/tub straightening job that's about to start. Read through rkymtnflyfisher's thread many times and the "Curing Cancer" thread as well to decide a plan of attack.

Hey @mtnbiker4evr13 , @Chungas Revenge had expressed interest in them so he'll be first in line if he needs them. If I can help just ask, don't know much but I'm learning.

@gator25 If you don't need them I'll take them...Much obliged. May the winds of TLC Karma blow your way, or you find an abandoned "beverage truck" on your way home this evening....:beer:

@gator25 If you don't need them I'll take them...Much obliged. May the winds of TLC Karma blow your way, or you find an abandoned "beverage truck" on your way home this evening....:beer:

Your welcome @Chungas Revenge . I'll need 2 of the patches for sure, the ones I don't I'll send your way. Just send me your add. I work here out of my shop usually, here lately have only worked on bikes because the 40 has the rest of it full. But if you could arrange a abandoned Bud Light trk. between here and the parts house we'll split the loot! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom