GM expertise needed - 6.2 Vortec / 6L80e Swap - in a FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1972 FJ55 - Bone Stock.

I was originally planning to swap in a 5.3 Vortec / 4L60e / with my stock Toyota Transfer case.
---> Plans may have changed <---

I just came across a 2009 Denali 4x4 Rollover and the owner sold me the low mileage drivetrain for under $1000.

6.2L (L92 I think... either L92 or L94)
6L80e 6-Speed with Transfer Case
ECM (module with harness / etc)

I've done a couple of 5.3 swaps in FJ40's before but used the SM465 tranny and stock txfer case.
This one will be different (if it works).

Concern #1:

I had a friend of mine tell me that he thought the 6L80e & Stock Transfer Case from a 4x4 Denali has a driver's side output and will not clock / move to the passenger side - that it will not work on my Toyota.

Concern #2:
I was also told that this Denali most likely (might have) all-wheel drive (full time 4x4).

Questions for those that might know:

1.) Will the stock Denali transfer case work on my application and can it be adapted for a passenger side drop ?

2.) If not, what transfer case would be my best option ? I see that AA claims to make an adapter for a 6L80e to my stock 10-spline case...but would that be my best option ?

3.) Are these drivetrains all wheel drive (full time 4x4) and can they modified for manual engagement ?

4.) Anything else I might be missing about this 2009 6.2 Engine / 6L80e tranny swap ?
Anyone ever do one and how do you like em ?
Anything special I need to look out for ?

Thanks in advance !

Mike

Yes I'm pretty sure it's awd. I would run a toy split case tcase.

Good info
Do you think/know if the split tcase would work on that AWD tranny ?

Even though it's awd, think I could use the tcase as the disengagement point ?

Trying to figure out if I need a 2wd tranny or if this 4x4 tranny will work.

I like the idea of a toyota tcase

Thx

Tranny doesn't make a difference for AWD vs normal tcase. IT is all the tcase. You might have to adjust the PCM tune to not look for any AWD signals. No big deal.

I would only run a split case if I was trying to keep offset axles... I wouldn't trust an older one piece case behind any sort of power and I wouldn't buy a non-HD version of an Atlas. Other option I would consider is FJ80 tcase.

Unless you put the engine in the dirt, you will have a large hole in your floor. My NV4500 behind gen 3 vortec(6.0) required a bit of a hole. My 4l80 behind gen 3 vortec(turbo 5.3) will require a nice sized hole... I'm still waiting for the install:eek: Turbo 5.3 will be running a Blackbox doubler so infinite clocking on the transfer case. You might see if one can be used behind a 6l80... "only" $1200 more than the AA adapter ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

To your point, I am trying to keep my stock FJ55 offset axles, so that means either a split case or an FZJ80 case.

Not sure I want the stock Transfer Case from the Denali even if I get it clocked right, because I do not think my axles would hold up to AWD at highway speeds for very long. I'd rather have the option to engage when I need it.

About the 6L80e:
Cutting a bigger hole in the floor should not be a problem, as the Pig has plenty of room.

I'll be trying to (locate) a Toyota t-case this week.

Thanks Again-

fj55.jpg
I don't see mentioned what you are intending to use rig for or final tire size.

For what it is worth, there is a reason I've got offset Dana 60s under both my pigs ;)

Sure,

Intended use is about 90% street, pasture, creeks, etc... and 10% (or less) crawling and rough terrain.
Nothing serious.

My current tire size is 33x10.50x15
Final tire size will probably either stay the same or (max out) at 34" - 35".

Here's a current pic.

My goal is to have a drivetrain that can sustain 65-70MPH without stressing out the running gear.

The current (Toyota FJ55 stock) axle assemblies & diff appear to be fine in my opinion.

If they will work with my 2009 6.2L & 6L80e, then I prefer to stay with that.
I've located a txfer case from a 91 (local) and will probably go with that. I believe AA makes the 6l80e adapter for this transfer case to a 6l80e.

Other things I'll be looking out for are:

Engine placement (oil pan - engine height -> hitting hood - frame rails hitting exhaust or steering shaft) Tranny mount - front driveshaft hitting oil pan, etc... But other have done this, so I'm not worried that it can't be done, just don't want to waste a lot of time & money reinventing the wheel.

I appreciate your info and advice !

Thanks

Great thread, and nice trucks you both have. I have a situation you may shed light on for me? I have the LS3 6l80e setup in my 70'series. When it was built Torfab used a 80 series transfer case and left it in all time AWD.(not sure whom designed the drivetrain, so I'm not pointing fingers or mad, it's the nature of the beast when you build and modify ). I'm not a fan of the drag I feel with it in all time AWD. It also makes some vibration and noise at freeway speeds too. Tor told me when I went to buy the truck that he had removed the font driveline while on his way back from MOAB . He said he was so swamped he had not had a chance to properly diagnose the vibration it had before I bought the truck. He said it was most likely the u joints....so I had the front drive line rebuilt and balanced and it did not fix the problem.

I used to have a 80 series also and it would on occasion make the same sounds when letting off the throttle, but not constant or as loud.(kinda of a swooshing noise ). I called Tor and He said to bring it in and he will swap out the case with another one and add the kit that allows for it to be selectable from 2wd to 4wd. I just haven't done it yet because I'm not sure if I should just go with a atlas or Orion TC. I don't have much faith in the Toyota t case with that much power behind it. I also don't know what the cost differences will be if the adtermarket cases are different in size so I would have to have new shafts made?

Even being in all time AWD , the rear end breaks loose when I romp on it the dry. , So I'm not sure how much help all time awd is actually doing ? It sure would be nice to be able to select on the fly from 2 to 4 hi when it starts to rain...and it rains a lot where we live.

I'm also considering upgrading the axles, gearing and suspension eventually. I like it as it is for daily driving , but I could see myself breaking something easily while off-roading it if the conditions are just right. With that much HP and torque , something's gonna give .... The original owner that was having it built was thinking he was going to run a 5.3 crate motor but found out they are no longer available from GM. That left them with no option but the LS3 erod. Im pretty sure that's a fairly large difference in hp and torque.

I did see and read the write up about the Nitro Gear BJ73 , but that truck was basically stock on the HP side. Curious what you guys might recommend if you were me and wanted a very trail capable rig...or if what I'm running is more than I need already?

If anyone else can add some input that would be great....thanks.

Logic2, here's my 2 cents:
1. I'd take a look at the Sanderson "Ultra" block hugger headers (key word here is "Ultra").
2. I think you will be happy with an In-Tank fuel pump. Look at ebay #252496604117, but note the following:
* The vertical strap is trimmable for depth of your tank.
* Your pump must have a smaller filter to fit inside the bottom cup.
* Return fuel line should be mounted inside the bottom cup to keep more gas at the pick-up.
* Depth of the tank you are using must allow for height of vertically mounted pump and top hose barb fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom