My '83 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone

I just recently got my first FJ60

It's an 83, runs well 4.2 with 4 speed.

The frame is nice and solid, but has a transfer case leak and body rust on the quarters and rear wheel wells

I'm going to start working on it next week, starting with checking out the front end for grease in my oil or vice versa. I wanted to change the oil and degrease everything anyway, would I be wise to just go ahead and rebuild the knuckle while I'm at it? No clue if it's ever been done and seems like cheap insurance so I don't need to do it unexpectedly when I want to drive it.

The transfer case is leaking pretty bad....I could *probably* pull it myself but definitely not disassemble it. I don't have a garage so I'm considering just paying someone for the whole job. Has anyone any thoughts on what the typical cost would be? I'll start asking around for quotes next week, just want to see if they are in line.

The rust I know will be the most expensive part. The quarters and wheel wells need cut out and replaced, no way around it, and there's minor surface rust here and there elsewhere

Is CDAN still the go to man for parts?

I'm new to 4x4, new to the forum, new to Toyota, new to old cars, new to LCs for sure. Looking forward to learning and enjoying my new ride- there's nothing cooler!

I love this forum, tons and tons of good information, thanks to those who contribute and those who keep it running!

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

Rust pictures

:(

I have no interested in full restoration. I just want the truck to last me and I will maintain it....camping, travel, and off-road stuff, so it will see cosmetic wear, though I intend to avoid bouncing off of trees and big rocks :cheers:

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Hey Nesquick, nice cruiser you got there. Buy yourself a Terrain Tamer kit from @beno (the new go to parts guy) and try and rebuild the TC yourself. I think you can just split the case and rebuild it under the truck. I don't know what the going rate is to have someone do it, but I'm not sure you want just any mechanic doing the job anyhow. The best way to make sure it's done right, is to do it yourself. The factory service manuals are available as a free PDF download on here somewhere. Find them and use them like a bible. You can do it and when you're all done, you can toast a cold glass of chocolate milk to a job well done!

Hey Nesquick, nice cruiser you got there. Buy yourself a Terrain Tamer kit from @beno (the new go to parts guy) and try and rebuild the TC yourself. I think you can just split the case and rebuild it under the truck. I don't know what the going rate is to have someone do it, but I'm not sure you want just any mechanic doing the job anyhow. The best way to make sure it's done right, is to do it yourself. The factory service manuals are available as a free PDF download on here somewhere. Find them and use them like a bible. You can do it and when you're all done, you can toast a cold glass of chocolate milk to a job well done!

Yup start doing what you can... FSMs are in my sig line and look in the stickies for a local mechanic that is knowledgeable in cruisers if you are uncomfortable with doing something.

Those rust areas are pretty normal. Jason (@reevesci) sells some replacement steel for you to get there, but those inner fender wells may be harder to source.

Thanks for the information guys.

My best friend is a DIY'r and a close friend of ours is an ASE certified master tech. They would do it if I asked but they are always on their own projects, and I don't want to take advantage of the fact that they would definitely do it. I may try to tackle it myself and call them in for back up if I get lost.

I'll need to download that FSM! Should I return my unopened Haynes manual??

I've found a source for the inner fender wells, I think. Finding a body shop will be different

The Haynes used to be good but now are a blend of a few different models so they aren't that great. Return it (that's what I did too) and print out the fsm from here on mud as you need them.

The Haynes used to be good but now are a blend of a few different models so they aren't that great. Return it (that's what I did too) and print out the fsm from here on mud as you need them.
I just got my return label to send it back to Amazon

I don't own a computer or a printer so I'll just print stuff at a friends house as I need it

If anyone has any recommendations for body work in ththe St. Louis area let me know!

As you pull up the fsm save them to the desktop your on then print from that program (mine is adobe). Some print as a full page or some two pages in one. I pick and chose cuz two condensed pages on one makes me crazy.
I've found that the '85 2F/3F book is super detailed but since your truck is an '83, you'll probably want the '81 books. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I just got my return label to send it back to Amazon

I don't own a computer or a printer so I'll just print stuff at a friends house as I need it

If anyone has any recommendations for body work in ththe St. Louis area let me know!

Just email the file to work and print it out there. That's what most of us do anyway. Just don't tell anyone ;)

Can anyone tell me the preferred vender for patch panels for the rockers/quarters/wheel wells?

I've found a couple sources that sell them just curious if there's a forum favorite

Nice looking truck. I just turned down a truck in similar condition as I thought the body was too much for me to handle.

I'll be following to see how you progress on this one.

On another note to the other members - if I was to get rust like this repaired by a professional shop, what would be a reasonable budget for that amount of work? Just info for me in my search for a 60 series...

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I didn't think it warranted a new one. If I should have started a new thread let me know and I will.....

Nice looking truck. I just turned down a truck in similar condition as I thought the body was too much for me to handle.

On another note to the other members - if I was to get rust like this repaired by a professional shop, what would be a reasonable budget for that amount of work? Just info for me in my search for a 60 series...

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I didn't think it warranted a new one. If I should have started a new thread let me know and I will.....
I'm going to guess around $3000 USD give or take, to have the work completed

Out of curiousity how much was the asking price on the one you turned down?

We never got to talking money seriously. He did say he thought it was worth 5K, but i'm not sure how relevant that info is for you....this was in Canada and was a BJ60.

We never got to talking money seriously. He did say he thought it was worth 5K, but i'm not sure how relevant that info is for you....this was in Canada and was a BJ60.
Ahh okay

It's bizarre how varied the prices are on these trucks

I've seen rusty trucks sell for 10k and not running trucks pull 5k or more if tHe body is clean

Very unusual; but they are worth whatever people will pay.

Just got to find the right one and go for it. I figure even if this one doesn't work out it's a running and driving rig and I could still enjoy it until it rusts to pieces

Yeah I can't make sense of the values either, and the one I turned down was the first one I looked at. I didn't want to buy the first thing that came along and then regret it later. Oh well....another one will come along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom