LX470 headlight bulbs....help me here. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Already searched.

Guess I'm just too damn old to understand it all. 1999 LX470

Wanting a brighter/whiter light for my high beams (which are pretty good), my low beams (which are dismal) and my fog lights (yellowish light, not too great, don't project very far).

DO NOT want anything that projects a blue(ish) light. MUST BE plug and play.

So am I understanding that my high beams are a 9005 type bulb, the low beams a H1 style and the Fog Lights an H3?

And if I have that right what do you guys recommend? My high beams aren't that bad, but I haven't yet checked to see what is in there. I'm pretty sure I replaced my low beams with Sylvania 55 W. something or other? And lastly the fog lights need to be as bright as possible, but I don't want to burn up my housings with too high powered a bulb.

There seems to be so many choices.....I just don't know what would be best.

My 62 year old eyes don't allow me the best 'night vision' anymore, so anything brighter and whiter (but NOT blue) would be an improvement.

Thanks,

Flint.

Your low beams in the LX470 are H1 bulbs. I used Narva super high output bulbs for these and am pleased with the slightly whiter light and more lumens. Here is a link: H1 bulbs. I do agree that the low beams suck in the LX...wish we had 9006 bulbs like the Land Cruisers.

When the high beams go out, I plan on putting HIR1 (9011) bulbs in place of of the 9005's. This will require a little trimming on one of the plastic tabs on the body of the bulb. See details here: How to Modify HIR bulb bases. This is a major upgrade in light output...2500 lumens versus 1700 from the 9005.

Like you, I have no desire for bluer lights nor HID's. I have removed my fog lights as I have an aftermarket front bumper. Those two bulbs along with a medium sized LED light bar in the bumper are all I anticipate needing.

Oh, and Candlepower does have H3 high output bulbs for the fog lights, I just have no experience with them: H3 bulbs

I also have a 99 lx470. I switched to an aftermarket hid kit. I am very happy with the light output. I use the Morimoto 55w kit. I recommend getting 4300k to 5000k hid bulbs if you don't like the blue. I personally have 4300k. Its white with no blue tint.

Your low beams in the LX470 are H1 bulbs. I used Narva super high output bulbs for these and am pleased with the slightly whiter light and more lumens. Here is a link: H1 bulbs. I do agree that the low beams suck in the LX...wish we had 9006 bulbs like the Land Cruisers.

When the high beams go out, I plan on putting HIR1 (9011) bulbs in place of of the 9005's. This will require a little trimming on one of the plastic tabs on the body of the bulb. See details here: How to Modify HIR bulb bases. This is a major upgrade in light output...2500 lumens versus 1700 from the 9005.

Like you, I have no desire for bluer lights nor HID's. I have removed my fog lights as I have an aftermarket front bumper. Those two bulbs along with a medium sized LED light bar in the bumper are all I anticipate needing.

Thank You for that information, the links were most helpful. I don't mind 'trimming' a bulb base, I did that when I installed John Deere bulbs in my 80 Series and you definitely won't 'overdrive' those lights! I just didn't want to have to rewire a bunch of stuff.

What you have suggested....sounds just like what I am after. I will purchase a few 'spares' to keep on hand and make a note in my maintenance log about the changes.

Thanks again for your help and your time.

Flint.

I am in the same boat with the blue lights. I went with a Sylvania ZXE for my low bulbs and saw a slight increase in coverage. My next move will be to upgrade the foglights to help night driving.

One last question guys:

Does the Fog Light Mod (ground pin 17) allow the fog lights to work in BOTH the low beam and high beam modes? In other words, it becomes 'selectable' via the factory switch (just on or off as you choose)?

Does the Fog Light Mod (ground pin 17) allow the fog lights to work in BOTH the low beam and high beam modes? In other words, it becomes 'selectable' via the factory switch (just on or off as you choose)?

I believe that is how it is supposed to work. I have unfortunately not done this modification yet.

Email Daniel Stern, tell him what you're trying to do, you'll get a very thorough email - you won't be disappointed, he runs this site (Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply) and previously worked for Candlepower (website mentioned earlier in this thread).

Yeah, Daniel Stern is the man. He was of great assistance when I was originally researching light bulb upgrades back in 2010-11.

I would 100% go with a HID conversion kit. I got these from Amazon (LINK), for $40 the difference is not even close to comparable with anything else. The LX470 has the projector lens which is necessary with these types of lights. It is 90% plug and play, you just need to drill a hole in the plastic cap on the back of the light housing which the wires run through. The blue hue you are referring to comes from the how the halogen bulbs are doped. They have color charts, but if you see something like "6000K" that will be the blue color you DON'T want, the ones I linked are 4300K which is pure white, maybe even a tiny yellowish like John Deer bulbs you referenced earlier. The lower the the "XXXX K" the more yellow it will be.

I hate not being able to see at night, these bulbs are just unreal. I drive a lot out in the middle of no where, open range desert, at night, where cows are a huge danger. When I turn on the brights "Philips 9005", other than the pattern changing (more spread), there isn't much difference on the road just because the normal lights are so bright. Make sure you properly adjust your aim/cut-off after install. Read the reviews on the link, the warranty is great and so is the customer service. I ordered (2) more of the 55w versions afterward to convert my Hella 700s to HIDs.

Last edited:
What about the Vosla H1 vs. the Narva on your link?

Can the light output vary that much in a 55w incandescent bulb?
I too am totally disappointed in the low beams on my 2005 LX470, but I've been thinking I needed to go to a full projector mod/retrofit to get significant improvement.

I too am totally disappointed in the low beams on my 2005 LX470, but I've been thinking I needed to go to a full projector mod/retrofit to get significant improvement.

You already have projector lenses in your LX, its the bulbs that are garbage. Putting anything in other what I linked above is pointless imo. The lights are just as good as the xenon (sp*?) ones I had in my Audi and Saab, I think they were like a $500 upgrade package. For $40 these are just as good.

What about the Vosla H1 vs. the Narva on your link?

Those Vosla bulbs look like they would fit the bill. I originally was trying to get Phillips bulbs before I went to the Narva bulbs. I will have to try those German made Vosla bulbs when the Narva's go out. Thanks for sharing that...and if you get them and put them in, take some pictures and share you opinion on them!

Can the light output vary that much in a 55w incandescent bulb?

To be honest, the improved H1 bulbs (Narva, Phillips, etc.) are only 10-20% better than standard bulbs. So it isn't a huge jump...noticeable, but not amazing. However, the 9005 upgrade to the HIR1 (9011) is the cat's meow. A very worthwhile upgrade.

If you really want to transform the low beams in the LX470, you will either need to do HID's or do the projector mod. I wish Toyota had stayed with the 9006's from the Land Cruiser for the low beams...that way we could upgrade to the HIR2 (9012) bulbs which are an equally awesome jump as the HIR1's.

I would 100% go with a HID conversion kit. I got these from Amazon (LINK), for $40 the difference is not even close to comparable with anything else. The LX470 has the projector lens which is necessary with these types of lights. It is 90% plug and play, you just need to drill a hole in the plastic cap on the back of the light housing which the wires run through. The blue hue you are referring to comes from the how the halogen bulbs are doped. They have color charts, but if you see something like "6000K" that will be the blue color you DON'T want, the ones I linked are 4300K which is pure white, maybe even a tiny yellowish like John Deer bulbs you referenced earlier. The lower the the "XXXX K" the more yellow it will be.

I hate not being able to see at night, these bulbs are just unreal. I drive a lot out in the middle of no where, open range desert, at night, where cows are a huge danger. When I turn on the brights "Philips 9005", other than the pattern changing (more spread), there isn't much difference on the road just because the normal lights are so bright. Make sure you properly adjust your aim/cut-off after install. Read the reviews on the link, the warranty is great and so is the customer service. I ordered (2) more of the 55w versions afterward to convert my Hella 700s to HIDs.

Looks like the 'KenSun' product has a better review rating:

Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H1 - 4300k: Automotive

Are HID's going to melt my headlight housings as some folks suggest?

Last edited:
This is the 1st hid kit I put in my truck. Huge improvement over stock. Only problem, the light gets lost when it rains. I dealt with this for 2yrs. Morimoto elite H1 kit, 4300k H1 bulbs

IMAG1820.jpg

Now this is the new look. Very bright white light. Doesn't gets lost in any foul weather. Just perfect. What you guys think?

IMAG0989-800x452.jpg

You already have projector lenses in your LX, its the bulbs that are garbage. Putting anything in other what I linked above is pointless imo. The lights are just as good as the xenon (sp*?) ones I had in my Audi and Saab, I think they were like a $500 upgrade package. For $40 these are just as good.
Just to clarify, the stock projectors are designed around a halogen bulb, hence the reason for the "squirrel finders" below the cutoff shield and the frosted lense. The issue with the stock lighting system on the LX isn't the bulbs. Any good light engineer can build a housing for an H1 bulb that spreads good light.

The issue with the stock system IS the original projector. Despite what bulb you install, halogen, HID, LED, they're all going to be less than satisfying.

Now this is the new look. Very bright white light. Doesn't gets lost in any foul weather. Just perfect. What you guys think?

If I could achieve these same results, I'd be perfectly happy. What set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom