Am I crazy to consider this? 2010 LX for $39K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, long time lurker.

I've loved the LC/LX series for years, almost bought a mint 06' lx470 5 years ago however I somehow talked myself into a newer/smaller CUV. Money was tighter then and the gas mileage savings have been nice over the past 60k miles, but I still partially regret the decision.

Family is growing and now the cuv is just too small. I found a 2010 LX570, 65K miles, with every option available and mint condition. KBB has it booking a solid 5K less then listing price which is current $39K and firm. I suspect this is because it's dealer maintained (w/ records), rust free (rare in these neck of the woods), and recently serviced with new brakes and tires. It's truly one of the only LXs in the area and thus he has the market cornered. I'm willing to travel but most of the LX/LC's nearby are out of a very large metropolitan area so I'm hesitant as the mileage is likely all heavy city. There are a few others for sale that I would consider (2011's with similar mileage) but the prices really are not much better (37K at best), but these are dealers so haggling may be an option and financing would be a lot easier to arrange.

I'm a bargain shopper to the core, thus the above price is hard to swallow. But I feel this might be a "you get what you pay for" instance. I plan to keep whatever I get stock, therefore an LX vs. LC makes no difference to me.

Thoughts on the above price? Is my want for such a vehicle overriding my ability to think critically? I'm aware that there are better deals but how bad is this one considering the facts?

Think about resale several years out...I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

Good luck

KBB is often incorrect. If you want it, and it is worth it to you, get it.

If you think you can do better and you feel it is an overpay, and don't mind waiting, then keep looking.

My only concern with a vehicle like that is arguing with insurance on replacement value in a total loss, especially in the short term. You can show other sales and data, but there is usually a more drawn out fight with the adjuster.

KBB is often incorrect. If you want it, and it is worth it to you, get it.

If you think you can do better and you feel it is an overpay, and don't mind waiting, then keep looking.

My only concern with a vehicle like that is arguing with insurance on replacement value in a total loss, especially in the short term. You can show other sales and data, but there is usually a more drawn out fight with the adjuster.

The chance that his vehicle is a total loss and he is unable to get repaid a fair amount is not very great. The average driver files a claim related to an accident once every 17.9 years.

Here's How Many Car Accidents You'll Have

The chance that his vehicle is a total loss and he is unable to get repaid a fair amount is not very great. The average driver files a claim related to an accident once every 17.9 years.

Here's How Many Car Accidents You'll Have

Understood, my point is when you buy a car above book, it is a possibility you'll have to deal with, even if it is unlikely.

Not crazy.

I paid that amount two years ago for my 2008 LC with 48k miles.

On another note... The question I think you might wanna consider is...do you plan to modify it...especially sliders and/or a suspension lift? If so, skip the LX and go with a Land Cruiser. AHC makes it (so far) impossible to do a standard lift, and rock sliders are still unavailable for the LX, though I know Slee is working on a slider set for it.

Last edited:
I own a 2010 LX.... buy it and be done. Given your market, you probably will not easily find another in the same or better condition for a better price.

No plans to modify. Stock state is more then capable of doing what I ask of it.

I'm starting to look into buying and shipping from states away. The prices are appealing, even with shipping costs. Fear of not being able to see it in person might sway me to accept a higher mileage vehicle though. Thanks for the input.

The price is a little high as I've seen much better prices on LXs than LCs. There was and may still be a 2010 LX with around 80k miles for $32.9k in Boulder HOWEVER it was that sorta odd denim blue color which I'm sure is the only reason it didn't sell asap. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it - I was wrong it only has 70k miles so I think this one is a great deal if you can live with the color: Used Lexus LX 570 For Sale - CarGurus

The price is a little high as I've seen much better prices on LXs than LCs. There was and may still be a 2010 LX with around 80k miles for $32.9k in Boulder HOWEVER it was that sorta odd denim blue color which I'm sure is the only reason it didn't sell asap. I'll see if I can find the link.

Found it - I was wrong it only has 70k miles so I think this one is a great deal if you can live with the color: Used Lexus LX 570 For Sale - CarGurus

That is a great deal esp. for CO. I would have to keep in mind the end result with that color...black TRD Pro rims would completely change the look of it. And look pretty decent IMO once the wheels and tires were swapped out.

WAIT...saw this when I looked at the carfax and this is why they still have it at that price...

• Structural damage reported

• Accident / Damage reported
Owner 1 then almost immediately dumped it after it was wrecked. Then Owner 2 didn't own it for that long. Owner 3 also reported it was wrecked. So that's two accidents reported. Now the price is not looking so attractive.

I am going to highlight why I think this is a decent price...
"dealer maintained (w/ records), rust free (rare in these neck of the woods), and recently serviced with new brakes and tires"

You can figure that a decent set of tires are going to be at least $1200 and a brake job will bring that total up to around $2000, if the spare has been replaced as well. With that said, the overall condition and HOW MUCH YOU LIKE IT will make the vehicle worth the $$$.

You WILL love driving it. I can guarantee that part.

WAIT...saw this when I looked at the carfax and this is why they still have it at that price...

• Structural damage reported

• Accident / Damage reported
Owner 1 then almost immediately dumped it after it was wrecked. Then Owner 2 didn't own it for that long. Owner 3 also reported it was wrecked. So that's two accidents reported. Now the price is not looking so attractive.

Good call - I never looked at the Carfax since we wouldn't be interested due to the color. Although I'll admit if you swapped the wheels and added a rack and bumpers it would look pretty sweet.

That is a totally reasonably price. KBB is often off for low volume, high demand cars.

How much do you really want to pay. Is that difference worth the time/stress/added effort of procuring another example, especially one farther away? It a roll of the dice often with cars farther out. If this one ticks the right boxes, do it. If you're financing, the difference will be immaterial with time.

The LX has many niceties over the equivalent LC. An AHC lift up to 1.25" is easily done in your driveway in under 1 hr without purchasing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom