Potential First 80 series. What do y'all think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know. Someone will be along shortly with an in-depth explanation of why it's a terrible/great idea to drive with birf soup. I drove mine with birf soup for a few months.

my hesitation with driving up there was having to drive it back to atlanta with that birf leaking like it is. even if it didn't drain the diff, i can't imagine prolonged highway speeds are good for that condition. am i wrong?

edit: he's trailering it down, also

You are overestimating the severity of birf soup. Squeeze a fresh tube of grease into the knuckle (through the ABS sensor hole) and you can keep on driving for a good long while. On my mini-truck, it took me something like 2 years to get around to doing the knuckle rebuild job (pretty much identical parts/process to a cruiser) and no problems at all.

:edit: not to say I would recommend doing that :hillbilly:

Last edited:
well boys, just pulled the plug on it. he texted me to let me know that he was loading the truck up and i decided to run the carfax just for s's & g's. mileage on his odometer was 239xxx, which i was cool with. according to the report, though, it was recorded at 325xxx at a dealer in north carolina in february 2013. if it ran well and shifted strong, i'd have no problem taking on a car with that mileage, but not for $4500. more importantly, though, i don't think it speaks well for the previous chain of ownership. too many uncertainties there.

good call. Fibbing seller is not someone I want to do business with.

Thats a huge bummer. Did you tell the seller what you discovered?

Thats a huge bummer. Did you tell the seller what you discovered?

yeah, he seemed pretty genuinely surprised. texted me a few minutes later with a picture of the title, though, and it had the correct mileage. said he just didn't look at the title when he bought the car. sucks for him, but i sent him the carfax so at least he saved $40 on that...

Yep lots of scammers out there. I use carfax now anytime I think about purchasing a used car. The $50 bucks you spend on carfax will save you $$$ in the long run.

Good call.

Glad you didn't let emotion get in your head, these are still a vehicle you can find nice ones all day long, and by the #'s that means some will be priced well.

These aren't a '68 Ferrari Daytona.

You are overestimating the severity of birf soup. Squeeze a fresh tube of grease into the knuckle (through the ABS sensor hole) and you can keep on driving for a good long while. On my mini-truck, it took me something like 2 years to get around to doing the knuckle rebuild job (pretty much identical parts/process to a cruiser) and no problems at all.

:edit: not to say I would recommend doing that :hillbilly:

I'm not saying I mainlined it right through the pipe plug hole either. :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

The listing has been pulled by the way.

back to the drawing boards i guess. if anyone sees a good one in the southeast for $6-7k that you think would be a good candidate, send it my way! thanks for all the advice, gents. looking forward to being here

@jlups -

Like the old addage goes "come West, young man!".

We're the land of milk & honey - rust free & easygoing sellers / West coast mentality.

Fly -n- buy, pay a local -n- ship, whatever.

You'll drop a grand more up front, but wow - I shoulda taken pics of my 360K undercarriage. And you don't want pics of my Black Betty, she has rub marks from rocks, but no rust. Zip. Zero.

And she's a outdoor dog, my E30M3 owns the lift.

@jlups -

Like the old addage goes "come West, young man!".

We're the land of milk & honey - rust free & easygoing sellers / West coast mentality.

Fly -n- buy, pay a local -n- ship, whatever.

You'll drop a grand more up front, but wow - I shoulda taken pics of my 360K undercarriage. And you don't want pics of my Black Betty, she has rub marks from rocks, but no rust. Zip. Zero.

And she's a outdoor dog, my E30M3 owns the lift.

good point. i'll keep that in mind. btw i'm currently dd'ing an e21 320is. once i find my cruiser, its gunna be nice to finally have a/c in atlanta...

good point....currently dd'ing an e21 320is...

Good man. - so with that a DD'er you clearly aren't in a hurry.

I prefer the e30 gen for outward looks, & old 2002's (esp M2's:smokin::steer::smokin:) - are downright pimp, sadly it went hipster status here so a clean 2002 body is rare, such a timeless look.

But yea, check us out West - I don't mind swinging past a 80 for people & give a 'scouting report.
Rust is to our LC's as honesty is to a politician:hillbilly: .

Broaden your search radius, lotsa guys will help if it's a short drive - and those who offer aren't newbs - they know new parts & prob carry a spare EFI relay to never strand themselves.

Good man. - so with that a DD'er you clearly aren't in a hurry.

I prefer the e30 gen for outward looks, & old 2002's (esp M2's:smokin::steer::smokin:) - are downright pimp, sadly it went hipster status here so a clean 2002 body is rare, such a timeless look.

But yea, check us out West - I don't mind swinging past a 80 for people & give a 'scouting report.
Rust is to our LC's as honesty is to a politician:hillbilly: .

Broaden your search radius, lotsa guys will help if it's a short drive - and those who offer aren't newbs - they know new parts & prob carry a spare EFI relay to never strand themselves.

thanks for the tip brotha!

checking out this one tomorrow:

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Factory Lockers

no receipts for the work because he owns a trucking company and had his mechanics do the work. interior looks a little rough, but i'm sure i could clean it up. missing rear bumper is a little disappointing, but i figure for this price with lockers, it's worth a look.

what do y'all think?

edit: hasn't sent any other pictures, but says it doesn't leak a drop of fluid from anywhere, including the birfs.

Looks like possible rust stain under the dead pedal. Might want to pull carpet back to check for rust on floorboard caused by backed up sunroof drains or leaky windshield.

Since rear bumper is gone it makes it easy to look under rear quarters and at cross member for rust.

I'd also charge at least a $1K penalty foul for the red paint under the hood :eek:.

Looks like possible rust stain under the dead pedal. Might want to pull carpet back to check for rust on floorboard caused by backed up sunroof drains or leaky windshield.

Since rear bumper is gone it makes it easy to look under rear quarters and at cross member for rust.

I'd also charge at least a $1K penalty foul for the red paint under the hood :eek:.

yeah man, that paint under the hood is awful, but i figured it gives me a little extra leverage. and good spot with that rust stain. i would have missed that.

also, is there a certain way i should test to make sure the lockers work? would hate to find out that diff lock switch in the pictures is purely decorative...

I'd carfax the vin, see if that weird spot in the pass rear 1/4 is rust rot.

If you see rust by the dead pedal, pull back the corners of the rear too - easy enough to look through the jack area & flat pull the pass plastic panel to see if that spot is a "Fred Flintstone -mobile" back there.

It may be a simple camera thing, I'm on a ~5" screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom