Trail Gear reduction gears feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So who is running the trail gear reduction kit for the tcase? I am in the market. They have been out for awhile now so just curious what some guys think of them after some use.

There must be a few guys out there running these. The gears have lots of teeth with a very deep mesh pattern. The T case is well built. If the TG gears are cut precise and not made of total crap then they might be an option. I understand the whole debate on TG stealing the Marlin design and that's not right but I am just looking for feedback on the quality of the TG Gear set.

I am looking for reliability of the Trail Gear set. I thought you had the Marlin gears Phil.?
I have had them for about 5 years now and for me its must have going forward.

Marlin set here and all good. You should do the Marlin set. The TG set is suspect and Chinese. It's like a Badlands Chinese winch. Good, most of the time, but when it fails, it's nothing. Or less!

How much have you used them? What was the quality of the steel and cut? Thanks

I am looking for reliability of the Trail Gear set. I thought you had the Marlin gears Phil.?

My bad you are correct I miss read you post. So why be cheap give your money to the innovator with a proven record:flipoff2:

So I guess not many have tried these gears... with few replies.

How much have you used them? What was the quality of the steel and cut? Thanks

I didn't test the metallurgy but they seemed to be top quality chineesium. The tolerances are tight, I'd buy them again.

You also have to think about what these gears are doing. Since they are engaged while stationary the level of wear is fairly low and uniform across the tooth plane (engagement is how most gear meshes begin to develop damage).

So the failure you would see on this gear would be due to ultra high torque, high RPM, abuse. Think, pinning the gas and spinning your tires way up then catching traction with all 4. This would translate huge forces through the whole drive train and would likely cause damage to Birfs, ujoints, diffs and output splines before it would toast your tcase gear.

But then again most of us don't beat on our rigs that hard. I personally beat on my trail snail up to a certain amount, at the same time I make it a point to be very smooth with my inputs and avoid situations which transfer sudden shock through the driveline.

Right after the install I was really worried about it but after months of trail use and abuse I don't even think about it. Lets say that I'm more worried about my front axle hubs preload than I am about this gear

Marlin earned your business IMO by bringing this to market without people like him you would not see it. Reverse cheap Chinese engineering is just wrong and I try not to support it. Hopefully a 20% import tax will.....:eek::worms::flipoff2::popcorn:

Thanks for the feedback @SmokingRocks

And @LandCruiserPhil I understand your point but I've put so much damn $ into my rig it's always nice to save where you can.
An example would be yotateq gull wing doors where $850 per window and your units are $450. I'm not going to knock you for making one cheaper. I'd buy yours to save the extra cash when I decide to. They both serve/execute the same purpose just like the low range gears. :meh: :popcorn::popcorn:

The sustained high price of certain developers products is what irks me. I get it there is R&D time, fab time, mistakes ect ect ect on the front end, so the cost is high at the roll out. But after years on the market that cost should be recouped and then some by the developer, so now the high price is not paying for any of that upfront cost but instead is mostly profit.

All other markets adjust their products based on the return on investment projected over the lifespan. Thats why a brand new 2017 F250 cost more than the last year of the last generation 2016 model even though both are brand new on the dealers lot.

So it would be nice to see the developers humble up a bit and trim their profit margin by reducing price on products that have been on the market. I'm not demanding that they price match but more that they stay competitive, if the MC gear was 200 over the TG gear I would have certainly gone with the MC.

And you know that the cost for them to have that gear made now is FAR less than what it cost to cut the first 50. Hell all they have to do is put a part thats on the shelf in a box and ship it. When stock runs low they place an order with their supplier, the supplier is already tooled up and the machinist know how to do it. Pretty minimal effort now. So why not try to volumize the sales now when the cost to push them out the door is next to nothing?

Again don't take this out of context, the roll out price should always be higher since its new and has so much overhead invested in it. But come on, if they are going to hold that price throughout the lifespan of the product there will almost always be a competitor that undercuts you.

@SmokingRocks If it where $ 200 difference I to would go with the MC set just for piece of mind. But it's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom