2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked my 11 201 at 79k miles and it was fine, checked again yesterday at 82k miles and guess what?! The cracked has started at the same spot no leak yet but I am sure it will let go soon!

*Extreme Conjecture Below*

I wanted to see if I could ballpark the failure rate of the radiator through the use of the information on this forum and the internet as well as narrow down the timing of the failures. On this thread alone, the following users have had radiator failures/ cracking (complete with model year and miles listed are as of the event date):
@jclarke450 - 08 at 166K miles
@INTP - 08 at 143K
@NetJunky - 09 at 135k
@BTUMAN - 08 at 94K
@MEMCruiser - 08 at 185K
@Softride62 - 08 at 110K
@DSallean - 08 at 129K
@thechief24 - 08 at 112K
@Markuson - 08 at 81K
@mreedbmwm3 - 139K
@TexAZ - 08 -
@ranma21 - 11 at 82k

I was able to find two additional cases of radiator failure in another 200 section thread.
@Utahsteve - 08 at 100k
@Fahad -

Number of Failures:
14 total failures, 10 were 2008 model, 1 was 2009, 1 was 2011, and 2 unknown. All are Land Cruisers except for the 2011 LX 570 despite them using the same radiator. This could be because the 200 section is mainly LC owners. I checked the 3rd gen LX 570 section on clublexus but wasn't able to find any failures.

Mileage of Failures:
Failures occurred at an average of ~123,000 miles with a standard deviation of ~31,000 miles (numbers only take into account vehicles who's mileage at the failure was recorded). All are believed to have occurred within the last two years.

Failure Rate:
There is no way a good baseline for failure rate. The MUD population is too small and there is no way to accurately count the number of owners of the 08-11 model year. This thread shows 71 currently owned from 2008-2011 (How many 200's on ih8mud). Assuming all MUD owners input their info (which didn't happen and is a bad assumption), this puts the failure rate at ~20% (take with a Land Cruiser-sized grain of salt)

Last edited:
My conclusion? Check your radiator once you reach higher miles and replace as needed. If you want to do preventative maintenance and replace it, go for it. Whatever brings you peace of mind.

That was a lot of info to get to such a simple conclusion but hey, I compiled that data so figured I would post it so it wouldn't go to waste.

Maybe something to do with the cooling system as a whole and the rad is the weak link. I replaced my water pump and then the rad, in that order, so I'll see how long these last or which gives up the ghost first. both have been in for a year -/+.

I wanted to see if I could ballpark the failure rate of the radiator through the use of the information on this forum and the internet as well as narrow down the timing of the failures. On this thread alone, the following users have had radiator failures/ cracking (complete with model year and miles listed are as of the event date):

What's most annoying is that the overwhelming majority of failures all stem from the "built-in failure point"--where they decided to creat a flat spot for the part-stamp on the top. The radiator housing is a nice, strong curved surface...right up until they mindlessly decided to create a squared-edge protrusion to make a flat stamp-spot. This was also the case on my 100 series, and it failed very similarly.

See below:

Screenshot 2017-02-16 10.14.35.png

Last edited:
I checked the 3rd gen LX 570 section on clublexus but wasn't able to find any failures.

This is incredibly interesting. I was about to do some preventative maintenance by replacing hte radiator on my '09 LX570 w/ 90k miles.

It's been said that even with the same part shared between Toyota and Lexus, that Lexus has a higher quality standard / acceptable defect rate per number of units. And they do pay their suppliers more for that quality standard. Don't know what actually is different though.

Replacing the starter is not a technically difficult task. It does require many extensions and universal joints. It's really just a pain to get to, as the header has to be removed and there isn't much space between the block and the frame.
The radiator is super simple read the thread on suggested tips to make it easier. Toyota left access holes for the mounting bolts.

Thanks! I have never tackled any task like this before, and while I am moderately mechanically inclined, I would be willing to pay someone here on Mud fairly close to me to help if at all possible? I will even throw in some beers lol. I am nervous to tackle this alone and would prefer to have someone who has done this before help. If not, I will gladly pay the fees at the dealership, but would prefer to spend the extra cash saved on mods :)

But, wait there's more....if you order now you also get the engine valley coolant leak.

It's even more expensive and apparently common on this motor as it is shared with Sequoia and my dealer told me they are seeing them a lot. Mine was leaking and got it fixed.

I think I contributed to a thread on that one. We definitely need a aftermarket radiator that is better.

My conclusion? Check your radiator once you reach higher miles and replace as needed. If you want to do preventative maintenance and replace it, go for it. Whatever brings you peace of mind.

That was a lot of info to get to such a simple conclusion but hey, I compiled that data so figured I would post it so it wouldn't go to waste.

Thanks a bunch for that information. It's interesting to watch how many more Mud members report this as time elapses. Apparently, the radiator has not been improved regardless of the new part number based on @ranma21's '11 having failure unless they have changed it in recent years. No biggie, just like I have to change the timing belt each 90k miles on my 100, I will just change the radiator out every 90-100k on my 200. Now, the starter and cam tower leaks are another story I am learning about just now.

@jclarke450 - 08 at 166K miles
@INTP - 08 at 143K
@NetJunky - 09 at 135k
@BTUMAN - 08 at 94K
@MEMCruiser - 08 at 185K
@Softride62 - 08 at 110K
@DSallean - 08 at 129K
@thechief24 - 08 at 112K
@Markuson - 08 at 81K
@mreedbmwm3 - 139K
@TexAZ - 08 -
@ranma21 - 11 at 82k

I was able to find two additional cases of radiator failure in another 200 section thread.
@Utahsteve - 08 at 100k
@Fahad -

Number of Failures:
14 total failures, 10 were 2008 model, 1 was 2009, 1 was 2011, and 2 unknown. All are Land Cruisers except for the 2011 LX 570 despite them using the same radiator. This could be because the 200 section is mainly LC owners. I checked the 3rd gen LX 570 section on clublexus but wasn't able to find any failures.

Mileage of Failures:
Failures occurred at an average of ~123,000 miles with a standard deviation of ~31,000 miles (numbers only take into account vehicles who's mileage at the failure was recorded). All are believed to have occurred within the last two years.

Failure Rate:
There is no way a good baseline for failure rate. The MUD population is too small and there is no way to accurately count the number of owners of the 08-11 model year. This thread shows 71 currently owned from 2008-2011 (How many 200's on ih8mud). Assuming all MUD owners input their info (which didn't happen and is a bad assumption), this puts the failure rate at ~20% (take with a Land Cruiser-sized grain of salt)

Mine is a 11 LX570, not a LC. So me make the 1st one on the list, yeah!!!! :D:bang:

Sorry if this was covered in prior pages but for folks who have not developed a crack do you guys think adding some heavy duty plastic epoxy in that area to give the surface a little more strength seem reasonable or would it be useless? thanks.

i think that's like putting make up on a zit - lol - I get it but whats the point, just replace it and move on....plus say that does work but the spot that's next weakest is on the underside and you don't see it - what then $$$$$$$$$$$$

I can tell you that only two weeks after I saw the hairline crack forming? -It started to leak. -And I'm driving very little these days due to my current gimpy status. I wouldn't want to mask the hairline indicator with a bunch of putty...

Mine is a 11 LX570, not a LC. So me make the 1st one on the list, yeah!!!! :D:bang:

Thanks for the heads up, the posting has been updated to reflect this.

Congrats (or should I say, condolences) on having the dubious honor of being the first LX

Thanks for the heads up, the posting has been updated to reflect this.

Congrats (or should I say, condolences) on having the dubious honor of being the first LX

For that matter, you can add the 100 series to mine...

Would it be a good idea to create a sticky thread that tracks failures like alexinWC posted above? I have a '09 LC with 96k miles with a water pump that is seeping. So far my radiator looks fine.

Would it be a good idea to create a sticky thread that tracks failures like alexinWC posted above? I have a '09 LC with 96k miles with a water pump that is seeping. So far my radiator looks fine.

Agreed, that would be great. I just had the dealer take of pic of my '09 radiator that I just purchased today. It looks good, but it appears these things can look great one day, and crack the next.

200 Rad.png

Last edited:
Agreed, that would be great. I just had the dealer take of pic of my '09 radiator that I just purchased today. It looks good, but it appears these things can look great one days, and crack the next.

View attachment 1403235

It won't be cracking any time soon when new. The pattern has consistently been something that takes time. By most accounts, that weak point tends to crack anywhere between 70k-130k on a new truck. In my case, it happened at 81k, but my 200 is 9+ years old.

It won't be cracking any time soon when new. The pattern has consistently been something that takes time. By most accounts, that weak point tends to crack anywhere between 70k-130k on a new truck. In my case, it happened at 81k, but my 200 is 9+ years old.

The pic of my radiator above is the '09 with 73k miles I just purchased. It does look new, but it's 8 years old.

The pic of my radiator above is the '09 with 73k miles I just purchased. It does look new, but it's 8 years old.

Ah. I thought you meant it was just replaced.

Keep an eye out for the hairline. You may well get another 50k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom