50,000+ miles on Icons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you are really getting that setup dialed in man! I did the wheel studs on my 100 series in my front yard with just basic tools, should be just as easy on the 200?!?!

<snip>
Small update - The new 700 lbs. front springs have settled over the last 27 days, close to a half inch. I have an appointment scheduled for this Thursday to have my alignment checked and adjusted if needed, check my hardware / re-torque and lower the front end about 1/2" - 1" and that allows some relief to the front CV's.

I'll post up what we find out and how it goes or doesn't. If anyone has removed and replaced their wheels studs were they easy to get out or was that a press out deal? I have yet to look but I know I'll be going with a longer length than OE wheel stud to go with the spacers.

thanks

A year ago or maybe more I searched for longer wheel mounting studs for the front of our 100-Series to no avail. Have you found a source?

motorsports-tech provided me longer studs to match the 18mm Spacers I had them custom build...

^ Did you install the hub studs and was the spline height and diameter identical to OEM studs?

<snip>

A year ago or maybe more I searched for longer wheel mounting studs for the front of our 100-Series to no avail. Have you found a source?
I replaced mine with original equipment one's as they were stripped out.

@spressomon I haven't gotten that far yet. Just picked my truck up yesterday and started doing the math on front end track width vs. rear. I screwed up and didn't take a track width measurement when I had the Trail Grapplers on - that measurement would've helped me out this morning - but its all good now. Learn as you go right.

As to the wheel studs, the person I spoke with @ motorsport-tech told me he'd line me up with the proper length wheel studs and provide them with the sale of the milled spacers. I do remember a month or so ago Kurt @cruiseroutfit had mentioned in another post about brand of wheel studs that he uses or has used. I do not remember if it was for the race truck (Monica) or his person truck though. Possibly he will chime in and give you another option to look at. Either which way that's two different wheel stud options there.

Motorsport-tech is local to me in Reno/Sparks. I went down there with an OEM 100-Series stud in hand and they couldn't source a longer equivalent. But its been at least a couple years so maybe they finally have been able to source them. FWIW I was only looking for 12mm longer... as with my suspension height I'm about 3/8" per side narrower track width in front than at stock suspension height.

Hey congrats on the new system!
My SPC UCA's make some noise until I lube them up but not the Icons. Check your shock tower bolts and make sure those are tight - the ones on top of your coilovers. When I first installed these Icons those worked loose a bit. I think its smart to re-torque any bolt that was touched during the installations process. hope you figure it out so you can enjoy your purchase - its no fun driving down the road trying to listen for noises.

Thanks!

I had my suspension shop re-torque everything Tuesday, the noises stopped, for what's now been another 150 miles or so.
Went on about 100 mile trip again today and by the time I got back home the creaking and squeaking had started to return.

It's kind of odd, the truck seems to ride very fitm first thing in the morning, yet like I noticed tonight, it was riding really nice 15min into my trip and all the way back was much smoother then my trip yo work this morning. Note: it is parked in a heated garage and it's been 50-70 degrees all week.

How many times did you guys have to retorque everything before you felt like it was truly good to go ? Just once post install or ???

Also does anyone else feel like these suspension systems are prone to riding a little firm till the warm up after a few miles of use?

I called Icon Monday and asked about these noises, they thought it was the ball joints on the new custom a-arms, that they were likely just wearing in. I was rocking the truck side to side in the garage tonight, after I got home and was pretty sure I was hearing creaking/squeaking from all 4 corners. Is there some sort break in period. Should I just keep driving it and see if it eventually goes away?

agree on the firm at first...... mine are "crisp" on the pavement creases for the first 15 minutes then settle in - no matter the setting S or H. I have no noises thankfully......

Cheers

cc1999, not Icon experience but Radflo ... my Radflo rear shocks were a little noisy until they got some miles on them and they've been silent ever since. I think its just the piston and bushing "mating" and/or honing together ...

agree on the firm at first...... mine are "crisp" on the pavement creases for the first 15 minutes then settle in - no matter the setting S or H. I have no noises thankfully......

Cheers
Thanks.
I have mine all the way to S, sort of the reason I went stage 5 was to have that softest setting the non adjustable shocks I was told was about mid way in the setting.

cc1999, not Icon experience but Radflo ... my Radflo rear shocks were a little noisy until they got some miles on them and they've been silent ever since. I think its just the piston and bushing "mating" and/or honing together ...

Good to know. That was what I was hoping for.

Post install and rebuild update
I've put maybe 100 miles on the truck since Wednesday after getting it out of the shop for suspension re-install and new shoes put on.

The first thing I noticed is my tundra front coils are silver not black which not a sticking point just different. These coils are strong. It lifted the front end A little over 2" over my existing 3+" lift so that was addressed by backing it down 1 1/4", my objective was not to get more height. It's there if I want it though.

View attachment 1385534
Hey Willy, I’m looking at a ‘19 LC that has an Icon Stage 6 with 35-12.50-18ko2(34.5”)on Method wheels with an 18+ offset. I believe it has a diff drop and was considering on adding a Tundra TRD arms at some point. The ICONS HAVE 13k miles on them and was never off-roaded and it shows. How much of pain is it to have someone remove the shocks and send them in for rebuild(shipping and general rebuild cost). Are these high maintenance and how are they for daily driving. My previous 200 had OME with medium duty springs and i thought they were comfortable enough but harsh off road

Whats up @Angelo1 its not high maintenance. I think 50,000 mile service intervals for a anything high performance is good. You living in TN the elements should contribute very little to ware and tare on the exposed components.
Icon no longer does in house shock service. They do still sell a rebuild kit on their website.
Youll have to dig around locally to see who you can speak with about the job. Mine sat on jack stands when i had it done, out of the way and at a friends business. The Icon build you mention with 35’s will ride like a tonka cadillac truck, you'll have no compliants. the ability to tune it is simple and appreciated.

Whats up @Angelo1 its not high maintenance. I think 50,000 mile service intervals for a anything high performance is good. You living in TN the elements should contribute very little to ware and tare on the exposed components.
Icon no longer does in house shock service. They do still sell a rebuild kit on their website.
Youll have to dig around locally to see who you can speak with about the job. Mine sat on jack stands when i had it done, out of the way and at a friends business. The Icon build you mention with 35’s will ride like a tonka cadillac truck, you'll have no compliants. the ability to tune it is simple and appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response. I will start calling around tomorrow before I put a deposit down to see who can rebuild it or at least pull it apart so I can send it to a recommended Texas or Colorado shop.

I'm over 50k on my Icons but have barely offroaded with them. I was going to wait until one of them gives me trouble to send them all in. I thought I saw a post that someone hit really high mileage with them without issues.

I called Rocky top customz and they said the icons are problematic in areas with high humidity and are better for climates out west. Is this true? I’m debating whether to buy this MY19 if i have to take them off and mail them in as nobody in my area apparently wants to rebuild them even if a rebuild kit is provided. 🙄. Granted i could just drive it out to Colorado when they start going bad and have 303 shocks in Denver take care of it while I visit family.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a DIY video on removing and reinstalling the icon shocks and what tools are needed or is this for someone who is a mechanic as I am not, nor do I have a floor jack but willing to purchase.

I'm over 50k on my Icons but have barely offroaded with them. I was going to wait until one of them gives me trouble to send them all in. I thought I saw a post that someone hit really high mileage with them without issues.
environments and types of usage are all factors in longevity. Keep on trucking Casey Jones

Does anyone have a DIY video on removing and reinstalling the icon shocks and what tools are needed or is this for someone who is a mechanic as I am not, nor do I have a floor jack but willing to purchase.

below are the install instructions. work them in reverse. The biggest boogie man will be your KDSS valve which is simple, and crawling around under your truck on jack stands.
fronts - http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/I58760C_REVB.pdf
rears - http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/I57825CP_REVB.pdf

I called Rocky top customz and they said the icons are problematic in areas with high humidity and are better for climates out west. Is this true? I’m debating whether to buy this MY19 if i have to take them off and mail them in as nobody in my area apparently wants to rebuild them even if a rebuild kit is provided. 🙄. Granted i could just drive it out to Colorado when they start going bad and have 303 shocks in Denver take care of it while I visit family.
first thing - Ask said company to validate their reason for such a statement about humidity. I don't care to hear it but you may want to learn their rationale. Icons are a sealed system just as King shocks and FOX. All of which are made by a west coast companies. Plenty of folks on the east coast run these brands of suspension with no drama. If the truck doesn't get wheeled or wheeled much - 50,000 miles will not be the limiting factor. Don't limit the shock maintenance search to only 4x4 shops. Being in Knoxville, close to bristol, tn and tri-cities area there are plenty of speed shops around that are suspension masters. I'd be calling around to those guys. There is no reason the mail these off anymore for service unless one wants to do business with a far away entity. IMHO a reputable shop can rebuild these. I'd even call local sport bikes shops too and see what they think their capabilities are for servicing the Icons. or as you mentioned have 303 in CO do the work when you go out here to visit.

first thing - Ask said company to validate their reason for such a statement about humidity. I don't care to hear it but you may want to learn their rationale. Icons are a sealed system just as King shocks and FOX. All of which are made by a west coast companies. Plenty of folks on the east coast run these brands of suspension with no drama. If the truck doesn't get wheeled or wheeled much - 50,000 miles will not be the limiting factor. Don't limit the shock maintenance search to only 4x4 shops. Being in Knoxville, close to bristol, tn and tri-cities area there are plenty of speed shops around that are suspension masters. I'd be calling around to those guys. There is no reason the mail these off anymore for service unless one wants to do business with a far away entity. IMHO a reputable shop can rebuild these. I'd even call local sport bikes shops too and see what they think their capabilities are for servicing the Icons. or as you mentioned have 303 in CO do the work when you go out here to visit.

great advice! I completely forgot about Bristol. I will call some of those local shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom