Let the modding begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M0untaineer

Montani Semper Liberi
Threads
Ok guys...gonna start a slow build...just soliciting opinions on where to start...I think tires are ok for now...

Was thinking of getting a high quality lift 2-3" to begin with...

That or a good quality bumper/winch combo.

What do ya'll think?

I'd start with the lift. Of course as soon as you do, you're going to want tires.

I wish I would have lifted the 100 before I bought the bumper/winch.

Rear locker if it doesn't have one, bumpers, winch.

Wheeling will be tough without a locker, and even tougher if you can't self recover, or have good recovery points.

Lift, Tires/wheels and sliders before you hit the trail.

Next would be rear locker and front bumper/winch.

After that you wont need help....it'll just snow ball with seat time. Tacoma's are long...rock sliders are a must before getting into anything technical.

I'll say this...spend your money ONCE. Save for good quality coilovers and a spring pack. I cheap'd out two or three times on mine before I finally bought good quality coilovers/springs etc. Now that's all gone and its being cut up and SAS'd...I will be using King coilovers and the best quality joints I can find.

Spend your money where it matters....some things you can cheap out on...others you can't.

Good luck!

Warren wench :hillbilly:, rear locker.

Allpro offroad has some nice bumpers and sliders for the 15's. Not sure about the 16's tho.

Thanks guys. I'm considering the ICON stage 3 lift with tubular UCAs? From what I can tell, folks recommend getting UCAs to help maintain alignment a little bit better...Any reason for getting reservoir shocks in the rear? Seems like reservoirs in the front makes alot of sense, but with leaf springs in the rear, is that kinda overkill?

Lift--ICON Stage III: 2016-UP Toyota Tacoma 0-2 Suspension System - Stage 3 w/Tubular UCA [K53003T] - $2,644.76 : Pure Tacoma Accessories, Parts and Accessories for your Toyota Tacoma

Winch--Warn M8000: I am thinking about a Warn M8000...folks seem to universally recommend it...should I bite the bullet and buy synthetic rope?

Bumper- Was looking at the C4 fabrication bumper...no cut kinda appeals to me, mostly cause I don't want to bugger the job...but the Pelfreybuilt is pretty sweet as well and lightweight compared to say, a 170lb ARB...

C4: 2016+ Tacoma (3rd Gen) Overland Series Front Bumper (Full Size/No Cut) | C4 Fabrication

Pelfreybuilt: 2016 Tacoma Aluminum Off-Road Front Plate Bumper | Pelfreybilt

I kind of like the Pelfreybuilt in Aluminum since it weighs something like 70 lbs...pretty big weight savings IMO for something that I'll be daily driving...

Sliders- Really like the kick out style...any recommendations on brand...there's a ton out there and all seem to be pretty similar- bolt-on or weld-ons recommended?

2005-2016 Toyota Tacoma Rock Sliders by All-Pro Off-Road (2005T)

I'm kinda thinking I'll probably do a lift and sliders to try to keep it off the rocks a little and then bumper/winch a little bit later...locker sure would be nice...

@YotaJosh- how's that Harrop?

Loving it. Was easier to install than an ARB, and cheaper too through the right source.

I've only got one solid wheeling trip on it, and it performed flawlessly.

Don't think you can go wrong with an M8000 wench And yes, bite the bullet if you can on the synthetic line.

I have a kick out on my sliders and would highly recommend them.

IMG_4147.JPG
Talked to Bobby- he's got some pretty awesome deals on ARB...considering the BP-51 suspension kit through him...question for the group- is it worth buying bypass/reservoir coilovers, or is that really massive overkill for what we do?

That Pelfreybuilt is a good lookin' bumper.

A friend of mine has the bolt on Apex sliders from All Pro. Really nice product.

+2 for the DO...

+4 for the steel option

IMO resi coilovers are overkill for an IFS truck. You'll never heat or foam the fluid in a 2.5 emulsion.

2.5 emulsion with 7/8 shafts FTW.

Edit:

Overkill for an IFS trail/rock crawler. If you were LT and hitting whoops at 60 or 70mph I would say go for a resi coilover.

IMO resi coilovers are overkill for an IFS truck. You'll never heat or foam the fluid in a 2.5 emulsion.

2.5 emulsion with 7/8 shafts FTW.

Edit:

Overkill for an IFS trail/rock crawler. If you were LT and hitting whoops at 60 or 70mph I would say go for a resi coilover.

That's my feeling as well- I really just want to do this once...I'd like to be able to maintain it's ability to be a daily driver, but would be cool to be able to do some 3s/moderate 4s at the ORV...

Any recommendations on kit...I've been looking at kings/fox/icon/OME/Toytec...

I became fond of the Sway-A-Way coilovers and had a good relationship with the owner of that business from 'over the phone' communications. Unfortunately, they don't build shocks any more...

I had looked at buying RadFlo for my 3 link as Jonathan has had good results with their customer service. The only thing about it is for a few more bills you can have Kings...

I'm going to run Kings...

I had a set of FOX 2.0's that I bought in 2009...they were crappy quality...I rebuilt them 3 times while I owned them (wheeling and DDing). I believe FOX has since improved their quality...but that's my only (and last) experience with that MFG'r.

A friend of mine has a set of Toytec now....they were cheaper...but they leave a LOT to be desired. The beefiness and quality just doesn't seem to be there.

IMO
King
RadFlo
Icon
OME
Toytec
Spacer lift
FOX

I can't say anything bad about King or Icon as I know several folks that have ran them with great results...I do not know anybody that runs OME but they look beefy in pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

IMG_4150.JPG
I became fond of the Sway-A-Way coilovers and had a good relationship with the owner of that business from 'over the phone' communications. Unfortunately, they don't build shocks any more...

I had looked at buying RadFlo for my 3 link as Jonathan has had good results with their customer service. The only thing about it is for a few more bills you can have Kings...

I'm going to run Kings...

I had a set of FOX 2.0's that I bought in 2009...they were crappy quality...I rebuilt them 3 times while I owned them (wheeling and DDing). I believe FOX has since improved their quality...but that's my only (and last) experience with that MFG'r.

A friend of mine has a set of Toytec now....they were cheaper...but they leave a LOT to be desired. The beefiness and quality just doesn't seem to be there.

IMO
King
RadFlo
Icon
OME
Toytec
Spacer lift
FOX

I can't say anything bad about King or Icon as I know several folks that have ran them with great results...I do not know anybody that runs OME but they look beefy in pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks a ton for the advice...I've been reading a good bit on tacomaworld trying to make a decision...I haven't read anything negative on Kings...people have trashed ICON a little over rust issues...

I wondered about FOX only because they seem like they're pretty hyped up and I suspected that their quality might be a little sub-par based on selling mass quantities of product...

Does King make a 2.5 front that is not a resi for the 2016 tacoma? As near as I can tell, you have to get the resi for this year/model...$1400 a pair for front only or front/rear for $2100 is cheapest I've seen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom