Trail gear spindle nut damage heads up on 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I saw post but couldn't find it. Checked my trail gear spindle nut and sure enough bothe sides had ground off the Allen heads. The nuts stayed torqued to wear I had them though. Gonna replace the Allen head with some flat Phillips and see how those do. If your running this product on flanges better go check them, mine have maybe 1-2k miles on them this s my daily driver for me

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That happened to me, but it was because I double stacked a washer.
If you could be so kind to tell me the size & thread pich of the screws also where you sourced them. I found the threads get jack if you back threads out against the lock ring. I also have 3 threads.

Gary
20160917_180547-1.jpg

Last edited:
Going to get screws now let ya know in few

Trail Gear product is off road race inspired and having used this exact set on a Mopar design race vehicle years back. The set screws only need to be hand tight and say that seeing no problems after 1000 miles of Baja more than once.

Several have experienced clearance problem with Trail Gear being aware and recommending button head screw as nlxtacy also noted above.

Allen set screws?

Found at true value m3x10 .50 pitch flat Button head Allen screws, gonna run these see how they do

Last edited:
I wish there was an Ace Hardware store close to me :frown:

Hey Phil. Is there c a difference in clearance with part time locking hubs? I know your part time. I am too. I havent noticed any damage on my lock nut kit.

My spares are pan head phillips

Hey Phil. Is there c a difference in clearance with part time locking hubs? I know your part time. I am too. I havent noticed any damage on my lock nut kit.

No worries tons of clearance with hubs

Would the grade of screw be a concern here? Like grade 5 or stainless? I picked up these exact screws and did install them but just curious. Thanks for posting this. I had one side that had been rubbing but the other was just fine.

Would the grade of screw be a concern here? Like grade 5 or stainless? I picked up these exact screws and did install them but just curious. Thanks for posting this. I had one side that had been rubbing but the other was just fine.

If hand tight is sufficient, I wouldn't expect grade to be a concern.

Here is the tag metric button head socket cap screws

View attachment 1400906
I picked up the same screws from the same box today at my local general store which is in the True Value family. Love the hardware section there and can even pick up a chicken, duck, or goat if your in the market for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom