MOAB October 1-14, 2017!! CANCELLED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like you sold it to him or he just drove it back for you? I forgot about that spud. That would fit the bill for a beater real nice.
He bought it. He's stockpiling 80's like he tried to do with 60's.

He bought it. He's stockpiling 80's like he tried to do with 60's.

Does he still have the 60's? I need to parts scavenge something fierce.

Does he still have the 60's? I need to parts scavenge something fierce.
I don't think so. He had a warehouse full of them but the warehouse owner sold the place unexpectedly and it forced him to liquidate in a hurry. I can ask though.

Ted you could talk Z-man Zabot into the hard core stuff, and Taterhead has a linked 40 with a 4bt in it. He needs more seat time in it, but the rig is definately set up! If you guys help me 4 link my 40 and Spring over the front I'd be up for more hard core stuff.
We're rebuilding my sm465 and fixing the shift rail in the Orion right now.

so looks like I've been able to recruit at least 1 and maybe 2 guys from ATL in the big tar category!!!!! The ?? is how may trailer slots do we have open b/w Roger and Ian (@TEQiddiot ) :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

is it possible to "like" my own post?

Currently on the 4 car we have you, me and maybe Ben

It depends on what kind of trailer I can secure. I will reach out to my buddy Alex in the auto transport industry (tons of connections on trailers, his boss custom builds 3 car wedges and enclosed trailers) as well as my neighbors who run a auto transport dispatch company and start to crunch numbers on rental options. Just to give a ballpark, last time I talked to my buddy Alex, he said his boss was able to rent him a 3 car wedge for a month for around $750-800ish and reasonable deposit. So splitting rental cost + Diesel (Don't see any reason we couldn't keep cost under $6-700) it should work out to be a pretty cheap method of transport.

If a 4 car is available and will break down fuel/rental cost even further, then I'm more than open to the idea.

It seems most efficient to plan on renting at least a 3 car trailer, so we can tentatively plan on myself having 2 extra spots on the trailer. I will touch base with Alex, and my neighbor sometime next week.

Lastly, If there is anyone else who needs their truck transported, Alex is always hauling through the mid-west to and from Atlanta, and has offered countless times to move vehicles for me, or friends of mine IF: he has empty spots on his three-car inclosed, in which he transports them for the cost of fuel just to fill spots on the trailer. Given, if he is transporting someones rig to or from Moab for the cost of fuel and gets dispatched to pick up a high-dollar load, he will unload the rig and broker it out to another transporter and has personally promised to wait with the vehicle (in our case, rig..) until the new transporter arrives, and cover any additional cost out of pocket. He's a good dude I tell ya. This is a long shot, but something worth keeping in mind as October approaches, none-the-less.

Latest update on my s***ty situation:

I have now been informed that even though the departure date isn't til early October, there is training and travelling involved that begins some time in early September. So at this point, my blackout dates appear to be September-February. (Then I will transfer in April)

I know there were whispers about trying to move it back into September again, but no need to even discuss that now as it won't make any difference for my availability.

^ What Roger said. Bummer Steve, we'll have to see how this is going to shake out.
:beer: Cheers. Thank you for your service.

I thought Moab was nailed down to first two weeks of Oct?

Planning a trip to Moab is a major commitment for many and it's FAR FAR FAR more complicated than just setting a date. It's constantly in flux right to the day of departure and it doesn't take much for things to change or even fall apart.

Latest update on my s***ty situation:

I have now been informed that even though the departure date isn't til early October, there is training and travelling involved that begins some time in early September. So at this point, my blackout dates appear to be September-February. (Then I will transfer in April)

I know there were whispers about trying to move it back into September again, but no need to even discuss that now as it won't make any difference for my availability.

this sucks along with John and Josh bailing. I understand it but the dynamics of the trip keep changing.

Might I suggest that all the attendees should make it to GSMTR for a group collaboration? There is a huge amount of behind the scenes conversations going on that is not being covered online especially those who are trailering/being trailered out.

@DSLTOY to answer one of your questions this weekend this is the list I assembled on Post #1 and forgot about.

The 2 groups break down as follows:

HARDCORE Group- guys willing to run some of the hardest trails Moab and western CO have to offer. Have your sh!t in order and built, bring spare parts.

@4xsteve - OUT
@TeddyBoy
@schmitty- OUT
@schmittysdad (Working on getting to bring rig)- OUT
Donny - says 100% in (streetable mini on 37s)
Donny's son - says 100% in (Don't know)

Moderate Group - pretty obvious, don't wanna run the crap that's gonna brake your junk.

@DSLTOY (4-Car trailer)
@TEQiddiot (3 car trailer)
@Elbert
@HENDOG
@taterhead
@Alexander Motorsport
@BGarcia88FJ62
rc51kid​

If I missed anyone sorry.

Last edited:
Teddyboy,
Thanks for the reply. I really do get that it takes a lot of planning. That is why i am trying to keep the open mindset more of just meeting up with you guys. I will be in that part of the country in roughly that time of year. So if whether it is 1 of you guys or 20 of you guys hopefully we will meet up for a beer and a trail.

Super bummed to hear about your situation Steve, but thank-you for your service!

SO - I won't be able to make it to GSMTR. My graduation is 2 days before (In Colorado) and I will have my truck with me so it would be a two day affair just to make it back to GSMTR. I hope this doesn't create a problem. I'm fully committed to this trip like I stated before, and I would hate to miss out on any major decisions being made about it, but I really can't see any changes being made that would keep me from coming.

Is anyone in the Moab group going to Mardi Krawl?

I am registered, plan to arrive on Wednesday.

@DSLTOY Excellent to hear. I understand the nature of this trip being in constant flux, but since we both plan on hauling rigs it will be good to finalize any details (aside from date, and those committed) in person. Looking forward to meeting you!

So now that Steve is surely out for changing this trip to September are we moving it back to the original
dates of October 1st-14th?
:beer:

So now that Steve is surely out for changing this trip to September are we moving it back to the original
dates of October 1st-14th?
:beer:

We never moved it, only discussed the option. This cake needs more time to bake but as of now all lights are green. This obviously will be a large conversation during GSMTR.

Post # 116 shows last call that I'm aware of on dates. (1-14 Oct)

I can show up to GMSTR, but I'll just be a non-driver and non-camper. Would like to reach a consensus that we do plan to have a talk and agree on what time that might occur @ GMSTR (presumbly....afternoon or evening of day X at GMSTR). Don't know if I'm asking mission impossible task but seems like we should agree on path forward.

I don't know what others are doing with respect to transportation to MOAB (that might be worthy of noting in post #171 above (transporting self) or (3car hauler / 4 car hauler).

I know its like herding cats, but seems like we should agree on principle to have the discussion and set a time for it, so we can agree or determine whats going on and everyone or most everyone has the opportunity to be there and voice their concerns/issues or whatever they need to say. If people are not putting stuff on the thread then others may not be aware...I understand that some things may not be worthy of posting and real world discussion is far better to gain insight into what the issues are.

Just musing here: I know it's a shame to travel for any purpose other than wheeling, but if we could set aside a Saturday or Sunday and try to find a location that's reasonable for everyone who's highly interested or is certain that they are coming, and hold a Moab meeting. Even if a few people can't make it, we could have a spokesperson from AL, TN and GA meet up and speak/plan on multiple peoples behalf. That would mean, everyone who can't attend would need to make sure they pass on to their spokesperson, any info, thoughts, questions, concerns and their personal limitations (rig capability, schedule, disinterest in the heavier wheeling, etc.) they thought might be of value to the entire group. Like I said, just a thought.

I believe GSMTR is the best venue for the meeting. Most of the people involved are already going to be there and based on past experience we may pick up additional participants. There is good cel coverage so if an issue or change is discussed that affects someone that is not there we can call.
Elbert since you are towing your own rig the transport portion of the meeting does not affect you, I can call from event if we need any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom