2015 Land Cruiser: Update Head Unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any of you know of a way to upgrade the headunit? I'd love to get a double-din in there but I think the fact that the climate controls are on the headunit will be a problem. Any suggestions?

I LOVE this car, will drive it forever, BUT only if I can upgrade the headunit, which is worst GUI ever.

There is no NIGHT MODE on the map, so it is very light in the cabin at night.

Thanks for the help!

Dave

In 2016 it is POS too. Aftermarker is probably only option to go. Toyota is a decade behind.

Will an aftermarket work - even with the integrated climate controls in the screen?

I so with there were hardware climate controls - then upgrading to a double-din would be no problemo.

I'd love to drive the LC forever, but we need a way to update these headunits as the technology get better.

So... Anyone know of an aftermarket that works in the 2015 Land Cruiser..?

Also - great news on the maps night mode - at least I can fix that

There definitely is a night mode on the map. Look in the settings and/or check your cabin light knob to make sure it isn't cranked up and clicked all the way over, that'll keep the day-time mode on at all times.

Just checked - can't find anything in the settings. Not sure what the cabin light knob is. I will ask the dealer, but I've spent some time with the settings and can't figure it out.

The built-in Nav sucks. I use Google Maps on my phone instead.

The built-in Nav sucks. I use Google Maps on my phone instead.

Yes! And the problem is we plan on driving these trucks forever

You don't trade these in every year for the newer model!

We need a way to update the headunit tech as it improves.

Yes! And the problem is we plan on driving these trucks forever

You don't trade these in every year for the newer model!

We need a way to update the headunit tech as it improves.

This subject has been beaten to death for several years.

The Nav is years behind. No question.
iPad, GROM or phone... Frankly, any head unit that isn't using LIVE Maps is going to pale by comparison.

In my 2008 (no iPad even existed in 2008...and the iPhone was ONE YEAR OLD when it was built in 07), I keep the screen OFF.
The screen pops on when I need to adjust stuff, but otherwise, it's off.
-No more reminders of my ancient Nav, and I don't miss it. No matter what Toyota does short of full iPhone/Droid integration, and it will be far less informative to a phone.

I just tie audio into Bluetooth (via an adapter for me) and all is right with the world of mapping.

This subject has been beaten to death for several years.

The Nav is years behind. No question.
iPad, GROM or phone... Frankly, any head unit that isn't using LIVE Maps is going to pale by comparison.

In my 2008 (no iPad even existed in 2008...and the iPhone was ONE YEAR OLD when it was built in 07), I keep the screen OFF.
The screen pops on when I need to adjust stuff, but otherwise, it's off.
-No more reminders of my ancient Nav, and I don't miss it. No matter what Toyota does short of full iPhone/Droid integration, and it will be far less informative to a phone.

I just tie audio into Bluetooth (via an adapter for me) and all is right with the world of mapping.

Yeah- but it's not just the NAV. The cell phone/phone book integration and radio/satellite radio is also crappy. The entire GUI is a joke.

Yeah- but it's not just the NAV. The cell phone/phone book integration and radio/satellite radio is also crappy. The entire GUI is a joke.

Yes. On the other hand... in 2007, Dumb Phones reigned supreme.
But who keeps their phone numbers on their car unit these days anyway...even today?

Times have changed, and I can count on zero fingers the times I've wished my car held my contact list.

If you have a pre-bluetooth-audio LC, just add an adapter. I used one called iTrip and it's great. If you prefer, you can connect the bluetooth audio AND phone bluetooth simultaneously, But I've seen no need. I just wirelessly connect my phone and I'm in business.

Yes. On the other hand... in 2007, Dumb Phones reigned supreme.
But who keeps their phone numbers on their car unit these days anyway...even today?

Times have changed, and I can count on zero fingers the times I've wished my car held my contact list.

If you have a pre-bluetooth-audio LC, just add an adapter. I used one called iTrip and it's great. If you prefer, you can connect the bluetooth audio AND phone bluetooth simultaneously, But I've seen no need. I just wirelessly connect my phone and I'm in business.

Good suggestions. And also - on the positive side - I think it's a great sounding stereo

If you want horrendous gui take a spin in a first generation iDrive car. The Toyota one doesn't bother me aside from the climate integration. I much prefer buttons and knobs to touch screens.

But I use my phone for everything audio and map related. Get yourself a good mount, download maps you need and you're set.

If you want horrendous gui take a spin in a first generation iDrive car. The Toyota one doesn't bother me aside from the climate integration. I much prefer buttons and knobs to touch screens.

But I use my phone for everything audio and map related. Get yourself a good mount, download maps you need and you're set.

Do you know the favorite LC iPhone mount on this forum?

I've used Proclip in past vehicles, worked great. On the advice of some forum guys I just decided to try a cd mount. Only $16 total and to your door in two days.

Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos CD Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Car Mount TechMatte MagGrip Mini CD Magnetic Car Mount Holder for Smartphones including iPhone 7, 6, 6S, Galaxy S7, S7 Edge - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I use this one and it was only $9. A bit smaller profile too, and it mounts anywhere in the cd channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom