KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for the pic, glad you like them!

The only problem you might run into is drawers clearing the tailgate. On most (mine included) the bottom tailgate does not open flat, but at a slight angle - this is why the drawers are spaced up and you see that bottom front spacer in your directions. If you install over sheet metal I would simply shim the front whatever depth needed to make up the missing carpet and sound deadener - plywood is fine, buy the small 2x4' "work" panels at home depot et al - it won't be visible so could be any grade. Also, I'm not positive the 3rd row seat brackets which 100 series bolt into might need some washers to shim up as well, I don't remember if those brackets were metal-on-metal with the frame or resting on the carpet... either way the answer would be yes you can, just need a few shims, no mods to the drawers.

As for noise, it's a good point by @ScubaJon but I suspect the layers of plywood and loaded drawers will act as deadeners on their own. You can always install without that, drive and try it (and please report findings!) and then take them out & install deadener later if needed.
Thanks for the reply! I'll try and figure out what to do.

Got mine installed before the weekend last week in time for a run to the snow. Quite happy with the results.

I'm planning on sealing them in the next couple days with a water-based polyurethane. Also planning on adhering some marine-grade carpet on the top deck for traction. Interested in hearing if others have tried this specifically to gauge how worth while it is as compared to something like the removable rubber mats posted earlier in the thread.

Actively designing some modifications to allow for one of the drawers to function as a camping kitchen box, similar to what @BirfMark went for in his drawer build.

Pretty stoked on this upgrade!

tRuimAL.png

Got mine installed before the weekend last week in time for a run to the snow. Quite happy with the results.

I'm planning on sealing them in the next couple days with a water-based polyurethane. Also planning on adhering some marine-grade carpet on the top deck for traction. Interested in hearing if others have tried this specifically to gauge how worth while it is as compared to something like the removable rubber mats posted earlier in the thread.

Actively designing some modifications to allow for one of the drawers to function as a camping kitchen box, similar to what @BirfMark went for in his drawer build.

Pretty stoked on this upgrade!

tRuimAL.png
Looks great @seatosummit! Be warned in case you missed it in the above posts that poly and other stains can take a LONG time to fully dry, emitting noxious fumes in the meantime for weeks in the truck. Looking forward to your carpet approach, have debated that for mine as well so please include sources for material!

Dig that stain color @unfast, looks great!
How did you secure the magnets to the wood/aluminum? Did you just drill out and glue them in place?

I'm loving the magnet idea!

Mine is still a WIP but ended up going the fabric route instead of paint as I like to sleep in the back :p. There's a lair of thin cushion under the fabric normally used as cushion under wood panel floors. Wrapped it all as one piece.

My partner was kind enough to start painting designs on as well!

eKpp3w2h.jpg

How do the wings attach normally? Is there a hinge? I'm sure it posted somewhere but I don't recall.

@unfast does the finish you have reflect sunlight like others have mentioned or is the stain dark enough to not be an issue?

KISS Drawer Bolt Issue
Several screws in my personal drawers have started showing rust. These are screws in use for more than 6 months, and for weeks at a time sitting disassembled at the edge of my garage getting snowed on as I tried different parts for 80 series or adding the wings. It is unlikely others would get theirs as wet, nonetheless I don't feel good about this, so I am offering everyone stainless steel replacements at no cost to them.

For Customers
I've emailed everyone with a longer explanation and instructions to get your replacements - if you do you do not see it in your inbox now please PM or email me at landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com.

For Future Customers
All future drawers sold will use stainless steel or zinc plated screws for the tops, drawers, and fronts. This means silver-colored heads, not black, will be visible and and look different than in most of the photos you have seen - I'm sorry but I could not find black stainless screws. The exact mix of stainless and zinc plating I am still trying to source and will post later here and in the January Batch thread.

Bolts will mail out Monday - took some time to figure out shipping that wasn't 5-10x as expensive as the dang bolts themselves. Finally got it sorted at 3x though <sigh>

Cruzerdave yesterday I pm'D you. Now I can't find post did you get it?

Cruzerdave yesterday I pm'D you. Now I can't find post did you get it?
negative - best way to get ahold of me is landsharkoutfitters aht geemail anyway

Got my drawers put together a couple weeks ago, went with a clear minwax polyurethane and black rubber diamondplate for the top. Everything else is still a work in progress, but super happy with how the drawers came out!
L9iwqA2.jpg

@Bwood looks great! Care to share part#s for fridge slide, how you attached, etc? I've had quite a few questions on those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom