FJ60 - Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since there are a couple of threads regarding stereos ....

On a '84 FJ60, where were the factory speakers located? I just bought the
FJ60 and both the front door panels are new and hesitate to cut for speakers.
In the back, I beleive the PO used basic box speakers. There are two speaker wires
coming from underneath the carpet.

Anybody done any different speaker installations?

Thanks.

I believe the original speaker placement was in the front lower door panels however that placement is not ideal as they are rather low. The rear box speaker is probably the way to go if you are interested in better sound and if you want the best, ...use separate smaller directional speakers for the highs placed around the upper dash or hidden behind the air vents with bass/lows coming out of the doors. It's all based on what you are looking for.

mmyton said:
Since there are a couple of threads regarding stereos ....

On a '84 FJ60, where were the factory speakers located? I just bought the
FJ60 and both the front door panels are new and hesitate to cut for speakers.
In the back, I beleive the PO used basic box speakers. There are two speaker wires
coming from underneath the carpet.

Anybody done any different speaker installations?

Thanks.

Howdy mmyton
I have boomed out my 60. I have 6x9s in the bottom front door panels (remember to wind down the windows to test clearance) with 18mm custom wood gaskets (painted black). I have tweeters mounted high on the rear door pillars and another pair of high power 6x9s in the back ambulance doors (18mm gaskets). I also built a custom subwoofer box and have 2 high power fusion 10" subs that sit behind the rear seats. I specifically bought the fusion subs because they are designed to operate in very small enclosures = minimal compromise of cargo space. The sub box can also be easily removed (if you have a key!) for hauling luggage or space hungry loads. The subs and rear door 6x9s run off a 4 x125 RMS fusion amp and the front 6x9s and tweets run off a sony MD headunit. The 60 is big vehicle and needs lots of sound to fill it up. A cheapish way to make nice, ample sound is to just buy a decent, high power headunit and run front and rear 6x9s in the doors, thats what I had for along time until I got bored. (Oh yeah even if you only do that, Id advise to run all new speaker wire)

I put (5"?) Pioneers in the lower front door panels and 6"-7" in the rear side cargo panels.. Great advice regarding the front windows. I had to shim my speakers out a little so the window could roll all the way down. It's sounds great and the cheap JVC puts out plenty of sound for everyday use. The only problem is my Waylon Jennings CD thats stuck in my player. I like Waylon once in a while, but Stevie Ray or Eric Johnson would have been better choices if it ends up that I can't ever get it out.

I put 6.5" Kenwood speakers in the front doors, behind factory grills w/ custom cut 1/8" plastic spacer. I also have an old 3 way MTX box w/ 10" woofers powered with an amp in the back. Works great but I usually take out the box when I go wheeling.

infinity compent spearkers in the doors with the tweeters in the upper area of the door one 2x100 amp for the front two and a 4x100 for the back two with two 6x9 in the cargo area panels. all infinity

Good advice and appreciate the feedback . Do all speaker installs in the front door panels
require a spacing mod? Guess it depends on the speakers. I will definetely keep the window
roll down in mind.

- Marc

6.5's went in easily in the rear cargo panels, there's plenty of space they hold thme well enough too.

Cruc

mmyton said:
Good advice and appreciate the feedback . Do all speaker installs in the front door panels
require a spacing mod? Guess it depends on the speakers. I will definetely keep the window
roll down in mind.

- Marc

I got a pair of "slim design" alpines specifically made to accomodate window clearance issues. I believe Pioneer made a similiar set when I was shopping around.

search for more info on the door installation we had a big thread going awhile back on FJ60 speakers. Kenwood and Alpine make a thinner 6-1/2" that will fit behind factory grilles and still let you roll your window down. ;)

I made some panels out of wood. Country style! I mounted some 6x9's and put some foam behind them for sound proofing. The speakers sound good. I also mounted apline's in my front doors and just left off the speaker grill that came with it.
09200004.jpg

Here is a shot of the front (no spacers and behind the factory grill) Not much to see really.
attachment.php
No problems at all with the space...just had to cut it out to fit the larger size. The Second photo is of the rears..I had to get rid of the ashtrays in the back but I gain some sound.
attachment.php
:eek: Sounds awsome.
front.jpg
rear.jpg

Anyone know the size of the dash speaker on an 85 FJ60? I'm replacing my speakers and the dash speaker is absent. Thanks!

6" Kickers up front - fit the factory mounting hole and no issues with window travel
6x9 Kickers in the rear quarter panels
Amp under the front seat
Got it all on Amazon for around $250, sounds amazing. Drowns out all my squeaks, ticks and rattles.

20161124_160334.jpg

20161123_164213.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom