FJ80 Front windshield glass replacement ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When mine was smashed while driving on the frwy I bought new from SOR and had the glass installed on Vanowen and Canoga. Don't know the name. I didn't know about the install instructions at the time (this was over 10 years ago). Mine started leaking about five or so years later until I finally repaired myself a few years ago.

What did you end up doing to fix it?

I just did mine at a local shop with a ton of good yelp reviews . They had two options of glass which the lady had zero Idea which one was better or why they where different. One had a slight golden tint and the other one a blueish shade on top. (We decided on the second since it is what mine had but later found out the golden one is for the LX which is what I have)
Anyway, I showed the installer the page from the manual and he said no problem they would seal it. Fast forward a few days later on a rainy day and the whole passenger carpet is soaked.
I could tell they sealed some of it by the mess they left but they hadn't sealed the bottom of the glass and I assume they didn't seal the rest as they should have which is to the glass and to the sheet metal.

i wanted to get the glass reinstalled and sealed properly but they would charge me for installation again so they just pushed sealant between the glass and seal.

It hasn't leaked since during all this rain but not very happy with the service.

View attachment 1393847 I also printed off the factory manual and gave it to the glass shop - replaced mine last year and no leaks.

A passing Audi kicked up a log dog and flipped it at my windshield at 120km or 70mph.

View attachment 1393849 View attachment 1393850

Three inch tear in the window and you can see the imprint of the dog. I found it laying on the hood when I got to the shoulder.

Passed the Audi at the side of the road with a flat tire.

What did you say when that hit the Window?

Can't imagine what that sounded like!
You are beyond Lucky that did not come thru the Windshield.

What did you say when that hit the Window?

Can't imagine what that sounded like!
You are beyond Lucky that did not come thru the Windshield.

Honestly didn't say thing, I was in the the middle lane of a three lane section and my only concern was getting to the shoulder. When we finally stopped my wife said "you're so calm" and started crying. I was pretty rattled though.

Sounded like a gun went off and we were sitting in and covered by powdered glass. If it had come through, I would have taken it in the jaw or throat. Lucky this time.

Guys, for anyone doing this, OEM glass when you can. Non-Chinese is second best. Brand new OEM seal is required. When having this done, take in the FSM or the page of the FSM that specifically talks about sealing the windshield. It is NOT a standard procedure typical to other vehicles.

this if affordable, when I needed a windshield I couldn't swing the oem $'s, so I had my aunt's glass shop do it with a me supplied Toyota seal and the printed fsm instructions.....didn't help, noticed it leaking soon after, took three trips for them to admit it was leaking from the seal install...they didn't want to get me a new Toyota seal but I kinda bitched so they did, and second time was the charm........no leaks for a year plus now

What is all this for on the third page of the fsm windshield install? Surely all these parts don't come off to replace the windshield, correct?

IMG_0673.PNG

I had mine replaced at Safelite 2 years ago. I have been very happy so far. No leaks and I can actually see out of it. 230K adds up to a ton of chips in a state where there are more gravel roads than paved.
Cheers,
Scot

Honestly didn't say thing, I was in the the middle lane of a three lane section and my only concern was getting to the shoulder. When we finally stopped my wife said "you're so calm" and started crying. I was pretty rattled though.

Sounded like a gun went off and we were sitting in and covered by powdered glass. If it had come through, I would have taken it in the jaw or throat. Lucky this time.

Damn this sounds eerily familiar. My wife was driving and I was in the passenger seat asleep. My son was in his booster seat in the second row. My wife said the construction truck in the next lane weaved really quick to avoid something but it cause everything in back to shift. A 4ft piece of remnant 4x4 lumber, according to her, just bounced off the truck and hit the asphalt in such a way that just javalined it right into our windshield.

I was startled awake because I thought we were in an accident. I couldn't see out the windshield and I couldn't even see my wife because the 4x4 was blocking my view of her. Then I panicked because my wife was screaming my son's name. I turned around and my son slept through the whole thing. The 4x4 was pointed straight at his chest but still a good two feet away.

I'll give my wife credit, she was calm, cool and collected the entire time. Me, not so much. You can't wake me like that dammit!

Last edited:
Joey, can you recommend anyone here in SoCal to do this job correctly?
If you're looking for someone in SoCal, I'd recommend Alfredo of Alfredo's Auto Glass in Corona. He is literally the best installer in the world with multiple Gold Metal awards in the Glass Installer Olympics. I know, that sounds hilarious, but each industry has their own awards. I've used him a few times on very high value projects and he's an absolute pro. He was recommended to me directly from Pilkington Auto Glass.

Alfredo's Auto Glass Repair Corona
Alfredo's Auto Glass

Wouldn't a good dealer follow the FSM with new rubber and the proper sealant?

I had mine done at a local Dad & Sons speed shop in North Phoenix. took them the FSM and new OEM rubber. they sealed it up but it still leaks a bit above the Tach on a good downpour at speed.

I phoned a handful of shops, argued with many installers and would've sounded more credible had I claimed to be abducted by aliens!

Thanks for posting this link. Is this the install page from the FSM that everyone keeps referring to ?
Hey Brad, let me know how this turns out. I'm in Louisville and need to replace my cracked and pitted windshield soon. What part of the state are you in?

I told an installer to leave once because he didn't want to follow my directions of following the FSM. All I was trying to do was preventing them from having to come all the way back across town to fix it when it was going to leak.
Even the next company I had out there gave me crap about how I requested it being done.
If they had listened to me and actually read the FSM I had printed out they would have made much less of a mess. Seems like just about all the glass installers think they know everything about installing glass in any kind of car.

Always have a new gasket ready or make sure they have one. I don't see any clean way to reuse the old one since its glued to the glass and the body.

I told an installer to leave once because he didn't want to follow my directions of following the FSM. All I was trying to do was preventing them from having to come all the way back across town to fix it when it was going to leak.
Even the next company I had out there gave me crap about how I requested it being done.
If they had listened to me and actually read the FSM I had printed out they would have made much less of a mess. Seems like just about all the glass installers think they know everything about installing glass in any kind of car.

Always have a new gasket ready or make sure they have one. I don't see any clean way to reuse the old one since its glued to the glass and the body.
I guess this is like anything else on an 80 series; If you want it done right, do it your damn self!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom