FJ80 Front windshield glass replacement ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone put new front windshield glass in their 80 series and if so did it go smoothly ?
Most of the reputable glass replacement companies around me show they offer glass for my 93 FJ80. I'm very lucky to be in a state that has a zero deductible on windshields so State Farm will pick up 100% of the tab but I wanted to make sure the "new" glass being offered is a good fit from those who have dealt with this.

Thanks

@Brad6260, I did this a couple of years ago (maybe 2015, I have to check my records). I have a small mom and pop shop here that is great. They made arrangements to "borrow" floor space at one of the dealerships (they sub for them too), and did the job in about an hour, in a clean environment. (As opposed to the nationally advertised "we'll swap your glass anywhere, even in a dirty parking lot" guys)

This is the only way I'd do it again. They used an OEM seal (must have) and cleaned the original install really well before replacing everything. That's the key (again): cleanliness is a must. I can check my records for the glass manufacturer, if you're interested; I used their recommendation. IIRC, it was about $750, out the door.

I'll let you know, having mine done as we speak. Local shop. Lifetime guarantee against leakage - I told them I WILL take them up on that if necessary. I've taken a few cars there.

Funny you say this. I have been pricing these out and found Safelite pricing about $180 with a coupon but maybe it would be better if I had the coverage on my insurance and not pay anything at all. There are choices to get a policy with and w/o a deduction on glass. Right now I only have liability.

I had State Farm replace it. They used my same gasket and it leaks. Cut your gasket so they are forced to use a new one. I believe the law allows you to demand they use a Toyota gasket.

They'll break the old glass as they get it out leaving shards everywhere. My guy sort of cleaned up and then vanished when I went inside to help my kid with something. It was mess. You really have to watch those bozos.

Funny you say this. I have been pricing these out and found Safelite pricing about $180 with a coupon but maybe it would be better if I had the coverage on my insurance and not pay anything at all. There are choices to get a policy with and w/o a deduction on glass. Right now I only have liability.
Fortunate to be In Kentucky where state law requires a Zero deductible on front glass.

I had State Farm replace it. They used my same gasket and it leaks. Cut your gasket so they are forced to use a new one. I believe the law allows you to demand they use a Toyota gasket.

They'll break the old glass as they get it out leaving shards everywhere. My guy sort of cleaned up and then vanished when I went inside to help my kid with something. It was mess. You really have to watch those bozos.
Thanks. Very good to know.

Guys, for anyone doing this, OEM glass when you can. Non-Chinese is second best. Brand new OEM seal is required. When having this done, take in the FSM or the page of the FSM that specifically talks about sealing the windshield. It is NOT a standard procedure typical to other vehicles.

I printed the pages out used red tape to tape a reminder on the steering wheel and told the front desk repeatedly that if they don't follow the manual the window will leak. Well guess what. They didn't follow the manual, I ended up being days away from moving and couldn't get back into that shop for them to fix it so I squirted sealant in under the lifted lip. It's a bubblegum fix.

My other truck I was there when the window guy came. Super nice guy, did exactly what I asked. Glued the front and rear glass in. And spent the time cleaning everything up. Front, rear and cargo windows he charged me $300 for install.

So in my opinion if you can find a mom and pop place that will let you be there during install and bring the guy a six pack or a nice tip.

I'll let you know, having mine done as we speak. Local shop. Lifetime guarantee against leakage - I told them I WILL take them up on that if necessary. I've taken a few cars there.
OMG I CAN SEE AGAIN!

:bounce:

It was so pitted it was hard to see anything in the morning/evening glare.

I broke all the rules, aftermarket windshield/gasket...

:meh:

I trust this shop though. We'll see. They knew I was particularly concerned about water leakage. Warranty specifically guarantees no leakage "for the life of the car".

The guy mentioned that "It looks like you have a lot of fun in this truck..."

:lol:

upload_2017-2-1_17-47-36.png
I also printed off the factory manual and gave it to the glass shop - replaced mine last year and no leaks.

A passing Audi kicked up a log dog and flipped it at my windshield at 120km or 70mph.

upload_2017-2-1_17-48-54.png
upload_2017-2-1_17-49-14.png

Three inch tear in the window and you can see the imprint of the dog. I found it laying on the hood when I got to the shoulder.

Passed the Audi at the side of the road with a flat tire.

State Farm for me here. Called up, they asked which shop I wanted to go, called the shop I wanted, they asked if I wanted a seal, I said yes. Done.

I told the guys at the shop about the FSM and left printed pages on the front seat.

They did not use a OEM gasket TMK (but did replace) and haven't even looked at what glass they used, but for my camping/wheeling rig seems to be working. They did say they would fix leaks.

So big :meh: and nice having non shattered window.

View attachment 1393847 I also printed off the factory manual and gave it to the glass shop - replaced mine last year and no leaks.

A passing Audi kicked up a log dog and flipped it at my windshield at 120km or 70mph.

View attachment 1393849 View attachment 1393850

Three inch tear in the window and you can see the imprint of the dog. I found it laying on the hood when I got to the shoulder.

View attachment 1393850

Passed the Audi at the side of the road with a flat tire.
DAAAYUUM!!! That must have been quite the shock when that thing hit....glad you are ok

Got cut and I had glasses on. Saw it coming and turned my head in time. My wife had her head down setting up the next pod cast. If she hadn't I'm sure her eyes would have filled with glass. I found glass under the floor mats. Windshields are tough and they do need to be installed correctly with the appropriate urethane adhesive.

Here is the instructions to take with you before installing.

Joey, can you recommend anyone here in SoCal to do this job correctly?

Joey, can you recommend anyone here in SoCal to do this job correctly?

When mine was smashed while driving on the frwy I bought new from SOR and had the glass installed on Vanowen and Canoga. Don't know the name. I didn't know about the install instructions at the time (this was over 10 years ago). Mine started leaking about five or so years later until I finally repaired myself a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom