SAS Solid Axle Summit 2017 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mcguirejohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
Attention all Toyota solid axle fans, this is your chance to be apart of the inaugural Solid Axle Summit or “SAS”. If you or someone you know has a solid axle Toyota 4WD we'd like to invite you to campout and take in some of the most beautiful trails Colorado has to offer. This will be the 1st annual meet of vintage Toyota 4WD enthusiast in the Alpine loop area, and the plan is to keep it low-key and a have a good time!

When/ Where?

August 10th-14th Ouray, Colorado

To officially register, reply to the thread with your Name, vehicle type, size of T-shirt (If you want one), where you plan on camping, where you are coming from & what beer you are bringing (see the miscellaneous section for details).

Example:
McGuire Johnson
FJ60
XL
4Js campground Ouray
Spring Branch, Texas
Fireman 4- Real Ale Brewing Company

Contact Information:

If you have any questions regarding the event please contact us!

Casey Archer
Phone:806-683-4053
Email: caseyarcher99@gmail.com

McGuire Johnson
Phone: 830-388-9489
Email: mcguirejohnson30@gmail.com

Camping:

4Js campsite in downtown Ouray is a great affordable option that includes clean facilities and both tent camping and RV spots are available. If you are interested, find a friend that is willing to split a spot since they will easily hold 2 maybe 3 rigs per tent site. With that being said, you can stay wherever you’d prefer, but I’d recommend staying close to Ouray so that the logistics for meeting up will be simplified.

Meeting Location for trail runs:

TBA, but it will most likely take place on the North edge of town at the hotel.

Groups:

Once we can get an accurate headcount, depending on the numbers and capability levels of different rigs, we can set up groups to go out on different runs. Preferably at least one individual from each group will need to be well versed in the area and be a “guide”. We really encourage everyone to participate in group runs instead of going out on the trails solo. This ensures that everyone is accounted for and plus why would you not want to roll around with a bunch of other cruisers?!

Rig requirements:

Must be a Toyota with a solid front axle, any year and any model. The theme is “Run whatcha brung”. A CB radio is recommended for ease of communication on the trails. And a street legal rig is necessary for driving to and from the trails.

Trails:

The great thing about the Alpine Loop and surrounding area is the diversity factor in trail difficulties. There are miles and miles of off pavement exploring opportunities to fit everyone’s comfort, skill and vehicle capabilities. The great thing is even harder trails such as Poughkeepsie Gulch have bypasses available so you can get to the harder sections and watch other people break their stuff! We encourage everyone to check out the trails online prior to arriving to get a gauge on what you want to conquer. A great resource for checking out the trails and getting a rundown for what to expect is fjsummit.org

Weather:

As many of you know, Colorado can be sunny and warm one minute and then cold and wet the next. Be prepared for this and don’t forget to pack warm clothes! Nights will probably hover around in the 40s so be aware of that if you are tent camping!

Miscellaneous:

We are in the process now of creating an official logo for the event. In turn, T-shirts will be made and stickers will be available. T-shirts are optional and a price will be posted when we get it figured out.

Update 1/29/17: For those who want to be involved, @Mr Cimarron had a great idea where everyone brings a 6-pack of beer that is unique to where your from and we can trade them around. This will be our "raffle" :beer:

Disclaimer:

We are not responsible for vehicle damage, personal injury, or with any violation of the law that may occur. Please be safe and responsible. And just remember, we are all adults and are representing the LandCruiser community and IH8MUD.

Conclusion:

The goal is to get like-minded Toyota enthusiast together in one of the top spots in the lower 48 to wheel, camp, explore and too turn a great idea into an established event. No frills, no payments, just straight up old school fun out in the mountains! Hope to see y’all out there.

Last edited:
Jeff Monroy
97 LX450
Large
4js

Matt Monroy
89 FJ62
Med.
4js

One thing we forgot to mention is state from where you are traveling here from.
I would like to encourage all of us to travel as a group from your respective areas. The journey to and from these events are a big part of the experience. If you think the way people react to one cool ride at the gas station is fun, wait until a handfull pull in together.
Also document and post your experiences on your journeys.

Jason Hansen
96 fzj80
Xl and med
4js tent camp
Moab utah

Last edited:
I am 50/50 right now. Will be in Maine at our annual family get together so might be cutting it close. Will know more mid-summer.

Good work @mcguirejohnson
hope to see you out there man!

Vince
FJ 80 1991
L
KOA,
North East Wyoming

I should be able to swing some of this! Definitely have to fix my A/C system for the hot drive of about 700 miles.

Might bring my Golden retriever so KOA would give better opportunity to walk him or him walk me.

Last edited:
I'd love to be there but will be on another trip in the Sierra that week.

I'm game, I'll try to iron out the details at work this week

James Therien
FJ60
Large
4J's if I can get in
Boston, Massachusetts

EDIT: I'll do some homework today but if anyone has the space or wants to split a campground id be game, shoot me a message
Cool we have an East-Coaster! spread the word and form up a convoy!

Is everyone booking the 4Js campsite in advance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom