MetalTech adjustable links - bolts loosening??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before anyone chirps in and says "get to the gym", this is my dilemma. MT links installed in the rear and this is the second time I've noticed a bolt coming out due to the nut coming loose. This second round, the nut/washer combo itself is gone and I'm lucky I didn't lose the rear end as the bolt only had 3/4" to go before it was itself was completely out.

Links were installed using a cheater bar, tightened the craaap out of everything and I've double-checked once since the first time I noticed a problem. After initial installation, I've always had creaks/groans from the rear - something seems wrong to me.

Anyone had this problem??? Nuts/bolts/washers were all original, no such challenges with my 80.

thx....

No issues. Loctite is your friend.

Isn't it true that only one side of the link is adjustable. So the part that adjust is adjusted by turning the entire link/heim joint. Since that part is captured inside the frame of the truck it can't turn. The only thing that is able to spin loose is the lock nut. So nothing is actually able to come undone to the point of detaching from the vehicle. You just need some locktite or if you really want (and you have room) locktite and a double nut on it. Some places have thin half nuts just for this purpose as well.

Isn't it true that only one side of the link is adjustable. So the part that adjust is adjusted by turning the entire link/heim joint. Since that part is captured inside the frame of the truck it can't turn. The only thing that is able to spin loose is the lock nut. So nothing is actually able to come undone to the point of detaching from the vehicle. You just need some locktite or if you really want (and you have room) locktite and a double nut on it. Some places have thin half nuts just for this purpose as well.

On that topic: The Use of Two Nuts to Prevent Self Loosening of Fasteners

Wow. I would like to say I knew that. I always torqued the big nut against the item and the small nut against the big nut. Very interesting.

I have a good friend who's a mechanical engineer and he likes to educate me on that sort of thing. Credit goes to him, haha.

Replacement OEM bolt/nut in place, Loc Tite used (Toyota sells the bolt for ~$3 less than Lexus does - go figure). Missed the double-nut writeup but will be watching more carefully for things getting loose again. Time permitting, I plan on using Loc Tite on every bolt/nut combo this weekend, shouldn't take too long but worth it.

Bolt was 3/4" away from having fallen completely out - hence my original mention of almost losing the rear-end (wouldn't have been tied in any longer) - got lucky I caught this when I did. Had that fallen out when driving, disaster....here's to being lucky!!

Replacement OEM bolt/nut in place, Loc Tite used (Toyota sells the bolt for ~$3 less than Lexus does - go figure). Missed the double-nut writeup but will be watching more carefully for things getting loose again. Time permitting, I plan on using Loc Tite on every bolt/nut combo this weekend, shouldn't take too long but worth it.

Bolt was 3/4" away from having fallen completely out - hence my original mention of almost losing the rear-end (wouldn't have been tied in any longer) - got lucky I caught this when I did. Had that fallen out when driving, disaster....here's to being lucky!!

I'm surprised to see these loosening up. I'll have to keep it mind - I grew up working on cars in severe snow/salt, so I learned to put everything back together with anti-seize. I may preemptively loctite my GX suspension when it gets replaced.

I'm surprised to see these loosening up. I'll have to keep it mind - I grew up working on cars in severe snow/salt, so I learned to put everything back together with anti-seize. I may preemptively loctite my GX suspension when it gets replaced.

1's a crowd where this scenario is concerned - so far it seems I'm alone in experiencing this (a good thing) but the more who use Loc Tite the better.

Your missing the point. It was 3/4" away from failing out when you put it together. It's impossible for a heim joint that is captured by a bolt through the center to lossen. It has to spin to lossen and the bolt through the center prevents that from happening. If the other end is not adjustable it's just impossible. If it had Heim joints on both ends and both nuts lossend the center rod could spin and allow it to lossen. But yours are just adjustable on one end. Generally thinking is you want at least the thickness of the threaded part of the Heim inside the rod its attached to.

I'm talking about the bolt/nut combo that holds the ends of the links in place - one to the frame, one to the axle. I was just mentioning that the single end with the heim joint was the one that nearly dropped because the lock nut had already come off and the bolt had worked its way nearly completely out.

But.....if you have a pic illustrating this "Generally thinking is you want at least the thickness of the threaded part of the Heim inside the rod its attached to." I'd appreciate it. My links were installed as they came (heim threaded all the way tight to the link) and I haven't gotten around to adjusting the play at all.

Think about it. How does that Heim joint unscrew to fall out. It's held in place by a long bolt through the center. All that happened was the lock nut loosened itself. Go put your eyes on the joint. Try to turn it with the center bolt in place. It's impossible.

928FFCC1-8A87-4DAA-9265-725187B154D1_zpsijyibhjs.jpeg

How can the Heim joint unscrew when it has a bolt going through the center of it.

He's saying that bolt you circled loosened lol

upload_2017-1-24_21-24-44.png

Is the Heim tight in the frame left to right when you tighten that nut that is coming loose.

Tight heims, both sides (no wiggle/play).

The factory hardware can back off. We have a link guard kit that protects the mount at the frame that includes new Grade 8 hardware with Nylock locking nuts. Those dont back off.

GX470 02-09 OPOR Link Guards w/locking hardware

It does seem that the factory nut simply came off, just glad I caught it when I did. Thx for that link, will check that out for sure (I like the guard/protection, just not sure that bracket actually fits inside the factory one up on the frame since it's already a tight squeeze). thx!!!

Then Loctight is your friend. You can even lock tite it and clean it real good and put jus a dab of JBWeld on the outside on the nut to bolt transition after install. Unlikely to ever back off and a little heat would still allow it to be removed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom