M416 Simple Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This build won't end-up simple. You'll go all-in...probably with a high-rise mount for your awning so that you can pull the 416 with all of your Cruisers (which will likely include a 40 and a 55 by the time this build finishes).

Last edited:
And the width. And the expense of adapters or changing out the perfectly good M416 stuff. I love the weight and size of this trailer. Anything bigger I could not manhandle around.

Added a 1255mm set of FrontRunner rails to replace the Yakima.

image.jpeg

I decided to make my FrontRunner bars a solid mount after the trip to Arkansas last month. I love the FrontRunner bars but the clamps are designed for thick OEM roof rails so they didn't grip the tiny 1" tube rail as good as I hoped.

This will take the same amount of time to remove as the other. 8 nuts and it's off. Super solid.

View attachment 1367939
img_1578-jpg.1367939

View attachment 1367940
img_1579-jpg.1367940

The Beaver Box slides under the tent but won't go past the crossbar so it's in a solid spot with no real need for straps but I keep one back there if for some reason the tailgate was to open

View attachment 1367942
img_1580-jpg.1367942

All ready. The FrontRunner wolf packs slide in the front gap so I can take in and out without unloading all the kitchen stuff

View attachment 1367943
img_1581-jpg.1367943

The FrontRunner stainless table slides under the bars on a tray they sell

View attachment 1367944
img_1577-jpg.1367944

As for a trailer update.

My trailer tires did finally do some rubbing on the close fenders but I also had a s*** ton of weight on the trailer with two rows of greenish Hickory and Oak plus all my #eaf gear on a 2490 mile trip with major off reading.

IMG_2832.JPG

Also when you cut a tailgate into it you may experience some box integrity issues.

Two in my group (out of 4) had the rear corners spread. This effects the way my tailgate latches. Because of the way my kitchen box fits I can't weld a solid bar across to tighten it up and a skratchet was not strong enough.

I got some slick clips today at Revell Ace and have a ratchet back there that will do the job.

img_2827-jpg.1384702

img_2828-jpg.1384703

I still prefer the low COG of the tent direct on the rails and with that a tailgate is mandatory.

One guy that cut his tailgate with us has not had the problem and Another that built his trailer with a frame that raises the tent made it where a tailgate is unnecessary

It barely moved the springs. It felt the same going home with it in there as it did empty going up

As for the spare, it's a 100 series tire winch that is directly bolted to the C channel cross member and then I have a ratchet strap under there to keep it tight. So far it hasn't budged.

Balance. I ran it empty up there. No fishtail at all.

That said, I extended the tongue 8" and I run an 8" 3" hitch extension. The tongue for backing and storage and the 8" receiver extension to allow me to open the swingout with the trailer attached.

I'm putting some bigger tires on it today. I tried them on with the weight of the motor in there and had no clearance issues.

I also run an extender to open the swing out on my 100 - was literally just wondering how to mount the spare when i stumbled across your thread. Never thought to use the factory unused LC spare tire winch. SMART!!!!

The awning is a game changer...I use a full set of tapered walls....love em'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom