Last-Minute "Stuff" for OME Suspension Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I'd post some information on last-minute parts I'm gathering in preparation for installing an OME suspension on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle. The vehicle is getting the axles and brakes from my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle, so I've got a rear sway bar and LSPV to deal with, along with other changes needed to accomodate the lift. Although the kit I bought from Cruiser Outfitters is a complete package, I still need the following:

1. Extended brake lines, frame to axle housing, for the front and rear axles:

After searching MUD, I found a tip from @Godwin for the front axle brake line - use the rear axle brake line from the same vehicle. In my case, from the FJ62, OEM Part Number 96940-33805 (same part number as that for the 4/85 and later FJ60s). I compared the front and rear lines side-by side, and found that the rear line is at least a couple of inches longer than the rear line. So far, so good.

I did a lot more searching and found a lot of options for the rear axle brake line, including SS lines from MUD-related vendors, NAPA part numbers UP 38009 and UP 38431, custom lines, and a few others. I vaguely remember reading a thread here on MUD a few days ago with photos comparing the lengths of the FJXX brake lines and OEM brake lines from other Toyota models. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it for the life of me (does anyone remember this, or is my age finally catching up with me?). But I was finally able to locate some information by chance. I happened to be searching the Man-A-Fre website for extended sway bar links (see below) and decided to check out the closeout section. Lo and behold I noticed a photo of OEM brake lines :). I clicked on the link and saw that the length of the brake lines are 17" long, almost two inches longer than the rear line I was looking to replace. I looked up the part number referenced on the MAF website and discovered the part number has been replaced by part number 96940-34705. The application shown is for the '95-'98 Toyota T100 pickup. I wanted to do an independent check on the length, so I checked out the NAPA website. My search for the same T100 brake line resulted in part number UP 380535, with an overall length of 18.5". Close enough, so I went ahead and ordered the OEM brake line from MAF (on sale for $19.99). On a side note, one of the part numbers replaced by 96940-34705 is 90947-02134, which turns out to be the front brake lines (to the backing plates) on the 1/70-7/70 FJ55s.

2. Extended sway bar links for the front and rear axles:

I found the kit in the MAF online catalog, so I ordered the kit without the rubber bushings ($77.90) - I had already purchased new OEM bushings.

3. LSPV:

I found the thread on the FJ60 and FJ62 FAQ with details on how a MUD member fabricated his own using 2" X 2" square tubing, so I decided to go that route also.

4. Emergency brake cable:

I also found a thread indicating that the cable can be adjusted per the FSM, giving it enough extra length so it doesn't interfere with (ride tight) on the rear axle housing, so that's easy.

Is there anything I'm missing?

I have an 87 fj60. You can run w/out the extended sway bar links in both front and rear for awhile. You can also delete the rear sway if you wish. 60's (like mine) didn't have them.

The 60 does not have an LSPV., and you don't have to swap it over from the 62.

Ebrake...nothing required, just install the OME suspension and enjoy.

I have been running stock front sway bar links with my 2.5 ome lift for 13 years with no noticeable problem.

I didn't think you needed to change the brake lines with a 2 inch lift.

The 60 does not have an LSPV., and you don't have to swap it over from the 62.

Thanks for the input. In my case, I'm using the booster, master cylinder, and all brake lines from the FJ62. The FJ62 set-up doesn't incorporate a proportioning valve near the booster. In order to keep things simpler (i.e., not having to modify the brake lines, install an aftermarket proportioning valve, etc.) I decided to use what I have and add a spacer at the LSPV, just like in the FAQ thread.

I didn't think you needed to change the brake lines with a 2 inch lift.

In my searching here on MUD I've seen opinions both ways - needed or not needed. Because I'll probably be more likely to wheel it more/harder with the lift and my lower overall gearing, I figured it would be better to go conservative due to the potential for more extreme suspension articulation. Besides, the OEM (T100) extended brake line for the rear axle is only $20, and I can use my rear line up front (I may still buy a new OEM rear line for the front, but the one on the vehicle appears to be in excellent shape, so I'll start with that).

FWIW we (Cruiser Outfitters) stock the sway bar and brake line extensions too. The swaybar extensions are listed on our site and we try and bring them up with customers too. Brake lines are sold as needed, fwiw most OME 60 owners don't do extended lines even when heavily wheeled. Either way, glad you've got it squared away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom