Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

97/early98 is the best year and a half for the mechanical 6BT. Awesome!
Why those years specifically? Mine is actually a 96 engine. Only difference I have found is fuel filters. Mine has a traditional spin on and 97 had a canister with replaceable element.

My CPL number is 2023 still comes up as a 215hp engine.

Stock power level. I thought the 215hp model started in 1997. No other differences I'm aware of other than power level.

Stock power level. I thought the 215hp model started in 1997. No other differences I'm aware of other than power level.
Yeah it was actually 96 - 97 up to 98/01 with 5spd that got the 215hp pump. I did not know any of this till I started looking at getting a 6bt though. Let try and keep all further conversation about the Cummins on my other thread just to keep the info where it needs to be.

No 53 here , bad blocks are something I pay attention to buying or selling . And ya I'm not sure why the 98 is considered the best year. I wouldn't be playing the hp game they're already to much motor in the wrong hands for a stock 80. For that matter I've got a little 4bta in a Grumman that I'd be leary of in a 4x4 criuser.
Pay close attention to the motor and tranny mounts you use. Good luck this time around.

I am sorry to see this end. Just caught up on it. How was the drivability of it? I had a BJ60 and am now looking for an 80. A couple of 4BD powered rigs pop up and I have always been intrigued by it. The resleeving is what caused all the issues then? It was not a desire for more power/ drivability/ etc...? How did the stock trans handle the motor?

I am sorry to see this end. Just caught up on it. How was the drivability of it? I had a BJ60 and am now looking for an 80. A couple of 4BD powered rigs pop up and I have always been intrigued by it. The resleeving is what caused all the issues then? It was not a desire for more power/ drivability/ etc...? How did the stock trans handle the motor?
Correct the sleeve installation was my issue. Drive ability was great, no issues going up the hills around here. It was not a race car but it moved along nicely. The trans seemed to hold it OK, the trans was not touched an had 200k miles on it at time of installation.

Correct the sleeve installation was my issue. Drive ability was great, no issues going up the hills around here. It was not a race car but it moved along nicely. The trans seemed to hold it OK, the trans was not touched an had 200k miles on it at time of installation.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I wish you good luck with the new build!

Wow. Bugger of an end to this conversion.
I decided a long time ago, modifying cars takes a certain amount of nievety or arrogance, probably both in decent measures.
This is in no way a negative comment to the OP, just an appreciation for the amount of engineering, knowledge and skills required to truly pull it off.
Thumbs up on a great build, good luck on the next one!

Just spent the last few days reading this from start to finish after going through your 6bt thread. It was like watching a horror movie after seeing the trailers, you know it's gonna get ugly but you are on the edge of your seat waiting for it to go down!

BUGGER!!!

Good luck to you Greg.

Thanks. So far I've got lots of yard work to get through and family vacations. Sell my 60, then get the Isuzu block to a machinist to check if it can be machined down and the Pistons too, or source a good short block and put it all together with it and an Isuzu rebuild kit. Really hoping to get a half decient running 4bd1t to put in it to drive it while I work on the engine Jereme built. I don't want to rush that, but do want to drive it in not too long. If anyone knows of a running 4bd1t I'm interested.
Cheers
g

Wow. I just finished reading this tread front to back, buddy my heart bleeds for you. I've done a few engine conversions myself, and with exception to the normal bugs I have never had what could be described as a mechanical failure. I'm planning a 4bd1t into my fj60 with a nv4500 and your thread has been a incredible what to do and what to watch for. For what itshe worth, thanks you immensely for documenting the process, both good and bad. Cheers bud.

Oh no! I'm only on page 7 of this build! I had to skip to page 81 to see what is going on. I have 2 Isuzu 4bd2t sitting in my barn along with 2 a440f trannies waiting for a rebuild. I hope I haven't made a mistake! Back to page 7 for more reading!

Oh no! I'm only on page 7 of this build! I had to skip to page 81 to see what is going on. I have 2 Isuzu 4bd2t sitting in my barn along with 2 a440f trannies waiting for a rebuild. I hope I haven't made a mistake! Back to page 7 for more reading!

No it's not a mistake. The fight Jeremy had with the engine swap had to do with the specific engine itself and is not a flaw in the concept overall. I have that engine and will be taking it to a machine shop for them to sort out but will be putting a running 4bd1t in for the short term until I sort and rebuild the origional troublesome engine. Im not sure what they will find, but I've got a separate complete engine that ran away, courtesy of Jeremy....many thanks, that I can canibilize for what ever is needed.
g

As G said, Jeremy had terrible luck with his specific engine. These are good engines that fit and work great in LC's.

I have a 4BD2 in my 60 and have love it.

My swap is linked below.

I love the Isuzu for the refinement and quality well thought out build. My issues where specific to my engine and my rebuild.

It's in the right home now with Greg, I know he is going to have a little monster when it's all sorted.

As for myself I have had 10k kms of trouble free operation from my 6bt/nv4500 swap over the last 8 months. I love my truck again and driving. Average is just over 16mpg with a lot of slow stop and go city and off road milles. Best tank so far was 19.4mpg in the summer on a tank that saw 70% hwy 25% off road low range and 5% city. Nothing like the best tank from the Isuzu but not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom