Buying a gas pressure washer, need some buying recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I want to buy a gas powered pressure washer to wash my new Log truck with a foaming canon nozzle, It needs to have a 50' hose preferably with a hose reel on the unit. I want something reliable with a good pump and probably a Honda motor ? and one with tires. What are your experiences with these units ?

How much time do you plan on using it each week?

How much water and how much pressure do you have available?

Kohler or Honda engine are good. They both have a constant wide torque band. The Kohler has a wider torque band than Honda and replacement parts are less expensive.

Phuenumatic Tires greatly reduce the amount of vibrating or walking around the unit will do when using.

A good heavy duty cart is a must.

Optional quick change tips are somewhat standard.

CAT pumps are very nice and industrial quality.

VR pumps are very good.

General pumps are on the lower end of the spectrum when compaired to the VR and CAT. They are the most common.

The packing (O-ring, seal and piston) kits are similar priced for each one.

@D'Animal covered most things. First off, buy the biggest, baddest, stoutest unit you can afford. Another thought is steam. I have a good pressure washer now but if I ever get another I will look into steam. Even if you don't go with steam, see if the unit you buy can be adapted to steam some time down the line.

I use the hell out of my pressure washer at the shop.

An example on the use.

Several dairies in central California use gas pressure washers daily. A bigger dairy with run five 8 gallon a minute 5,000 psi washers 12-4 hours a day.

They use the Belt drive units.
Once a year they replace the belt.
Every other year they replace the packing.
Every 3rd year they replace the pump.
Every 5th year they replace the unit or the engine.

Depending on the amount of use, look at the pump pistons.

Options are:
Steel
Ceramic Coated Steel
Ceramic

Ceramic holds up the best for use but does not do well when you forget to winterize it. The ice will break the ceramic pistons.

Steel does good but may collect mineral deposits from the water quicker than a ceramic or ceramic coated.

What sort of budget do you have? 4 gpm, 5 gpm, 8+ gpm? 2500psi, 3000psi, 4000+psi? Water, Hot Water, Steam? Prices go up with GPM, PSI, and water temps.

If your logging truck is a big semi and trailer, you are going to want the biggest/baddest MoFo, your wallet can handle. Definitely would want a hot water unit. Steam is at another level, but is very effective at removing lots of grease/crud. When I owned my semi-tractor (1972 Peterbilt COE) a few lifetimes ago, it was the most effective way to clean the frame/axles/etc.

I've got a 3500psi, 4gpm Coleman with a Subaru engine (Honda clone?), mounted on a two wheeled cart. Mounted a hose reel (Northern Tool) on the handle Works fine for 'around the house' use (although the pump needs to be re-built or replaced). Overkill for a lot of things (it will tear up wood and strip paint, if not careful), but I got it on sale a long time ago.

anecdotal and first hand evidence on the household ones suggest that a brass pump body would be better than aluminum. Seen several of the latter causing problems. And replacing a pump seems to be inordinately expensive (as in not too far from the cost of buying a new washer).

How much time do you plan on using it each week?

How much water and how much pressure do you have available?

Kohler or Honda engine are good. They both have a constant wide torque band. The Kohler has a wider torque band than Honda and replacement parts are less expensive.

Phuenumatic Tires greatly reduce the amount of vibrating or walking around the unit will do when using.

A good heavy duty cart is a must.

Optional quick change tips are somewhat standard.
Thanks for the reply D'Animal, I plan on using it about 2-4 hours each week. I'm buying it to use on my new log truck, pressure washing the frame, bunks etc. and using it with one of the relatively new foaming canon attachments on the paint , wheels and fuel tanks. Yes, a Kohler motor would be cheaper, from what I've seen it is the pump that seems to be the highest maintenance cost. So, i guess I'm looking for a 3-5 HP unit with a good CAT or VR pump, pneumatic tires, a hose reel that holds at least 50 ' of hose and puts out 2500 or 3,000 psi or more. One that heats water might be worth checking into but I think that shoots the cost way up . I'd like to keep my cost at around $500- 600 or so. Now where do I go shopping for one ?

Neither unit is listed on Stihl web site, all units that are are electric, and what the heck is with all those specs that I don't understand ?

Just a suggestion-H2O Power Equipment.com. Landa brand. Pricey but for what you want it to do I think the unit you select will be expensive. Good Luck!

One that heats water might be worth checking into but I think that shoots the cost way up . I'd like to keep my cost at around $500- 600 or so. Now where do I go shopping for one ?

Have you used a hot water washer for this sort of thing before?

If not, go rent one. They aren't all that much to rent, and after using hot water I'm guessing you'll be more than willing to pay the price. The difference is more than night and day at cleaning off oils and greases.

Am I the only one who wants a picture of the log truck? ;)

Dan

Have you used a hot water washer for this sort of thing before?

If not, go rent one. They aren't all that much to rent, and after using hot water I'm guessing you'll be more than willing to pay the price. The difference is more than night and day at cleaning off oils and greases.

Am I the only one who wants a picture of the log truck? ;)

Dan
I've got lots of photos on my phone but I need to get a different cord to mate with my pc to load the photos on it. NO SMART PHONES HERE !!
Thanks to all for the replies

I've got lots of photos on my phone but I need to get a different cord to mate with my pc to load the photos on it. NO SMART PHONES HERE !!
Thanks to all for the replies
My shop has a huge hot water washer but the water source is so crappy you can't use on anything that you don't want to leave a yellow stain on.. Yes the hot water pressure washers are but you can't use one on anything polished , chrome or painted. Beside , it's enough work to keep the shiny side looking good.

Maybe not much help ... but I found a pressure washer that has a darn big electric motor (but 110VAC) and a belt to the pump ... I have no idea of the specs as I bought it used from a guy who said it was designed for a car wash. It had been mounted in a steel cradle with handles at both ends (like a stretcher) so two relatively strong guys could shift it - the hoses are steel coil and fairly heavy as well .... if you dont have to move it much .. it works real well .. I have a 4wheel (pneumatic) cart that I can drag it around on if I need to but mostly it sits in the barn and I reach what I need to with the hose. Very quiet compared to a gas engine ... lots of torque (naturally) -- the jet wont cut soft pine ... but it can lift a poor paint job if held too close :)

As a kid I had a construction job one summer on a dam build and used high pressure water to scarify concrete surfaces before we did another pour. I could cut 2x4 & 4x4 pine left over form work like a hot knife through butter with one quick pass ... that was fun! :)

I've been so busy working all winter hauling from a deck to the sawmills that I'm posting this late reply. Thanks for all the advice.

Mi-T-M - great product that you will never have to buy again if properly maintained. Been buying them/using them for 30+ years since I discovered them on the west coast, now they are everywhere. There is a lot of crap out there especially at the big box stores. Buy a commercial grade product if you want it to last.

You could look at the STIHL RB 400 "Dirt Boss" or the STIHL RB 600.

Once you look at those specs, look at BE or a Mi-T-M brand. The STIHL units will not be on the showrooms until later this spring.

We have the STIHL RB 400 "Dirt Boss", it is a great unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom