What *is* an expedition build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing beats a tractor, I think back to learning to drive our old Ford 8N when I was like 11 years old.................Still 6V btw and still running, a 1947!

For the expedition (camping) we do around our parts, the 80 series fits the bill very nicely, as we do a lot of exploring down old logging roads and never know what is around the corner. That is all part of the fun, and for us, a winch, 4x4, all-wheel drive, lockers, etc are practically essential. A buddy recently joined a friend of his to participate in the maiden tour of a rig his friend had built based on a Fuso 4x4 chassis. They went down to the Southern US from Eastern Canada. His friend invested a lot of time and money in his "expedition/earth roamer" rig including a custom built camper box. I asked my buddy what he thought of the rig. His answer, it would have been nice to have a transfer case. Case closed...

Last edited:

The words "expedition" and "overland" have become so ambiguous and varied as the folks using them. 10 years ago the niche was still new and definitions were the Wild West. Now amyone selling a definition, is probably selling something along with it. :D

I read a couple of books recently, "In the Kingdom of Ice" by Hampton Sides (highly, highly recommended) and "The Unconquered: In Search of the Amazon's Last Uncontacted Tribes" by Scott Wallace (not recommended). These put the term expedition into context.

No-one on Planet Earth is doing "expeditions" with a vehicle, it's not possible. Everything is mapped, everything can be seen, everything is known (sure there may be some unknown obstacles to overcome on a route, but as in the Sides book - no-one is driving into an area that's never been explored or mapped or photographed whether on land or by satellite).

It's a shame this term has been coopted by marketeers and internet forums/blogs/etc. From a semantics perspective, overland build seems much more appropriate.

The words "expedition" and "overland" have become so ambiguous and varied as the folks using them. 10 years ago the niche was still new and definitions were the Wild West. Now amyone selling a definition, is probably selling something along with it. :D
With all
My respect, very sound
Words.

I
Hope I Get To
Stretch your
Hand
Someday

As a relative newb, I don't know what overlanding is for "me" yet and I have no interest in defining or making a judgement of what it is.

However, based on my life experience with other adventure pursuits, setting a goal to explore remote parts of our great country in a vehicle and executing on a plan to do that, will produce a similar set of experiences in all persons that do the same thing.

We will all spend money to buy what we think we "need" and find we don't really "need" this or that.
We will learn that getting out of camp faster and easier is a good thing.
We will learn that helping our friends or a trail stranger is more rewarding than anything else we do.
We will treasure the experiences we have exploring and challenging ourselves.
We will want to go again, next weekend or next month or next year.
We will want to share knowledge and help others with their rigs or their route.
We will all develop a deep appreciation for the places we have seen and the "journey of experiences" we have in common.

As I read post after post on this outstanding "mud" gathering place, I thank all those that share this common experience, breathing life and humanity into overlanding, whatever it is.

below is the 13th century origin of the word "expedition" which has implied elements of "rapidly setting forth" or "expedited".......i would venture to say NO ONE on mud actually meets that with the obsessive p.m. and gear centric prepping coupled with the endless search for defining what you are actually doing..... :flipoff2:

origin of the word expedition is as follows: early 15c., "military campaign; the act of rapidlysetting forth," from Middle French expédition (13c.)and directly from Latin expeditionem (nominativeexpeditio), noun of action from past participle stem ofexpedire (see expedite ). Meaning "journey for somepurpose" is from 1590s. Sense by 1690s also includedthe body of persons on such a journey. Related:Expeditionary.

sherpas do expeditions: wake up- grab some breakfast-kiss kids and wife goodbye- and haul 100s of pounds of oxygen tanks/food/ gear to the peak of Everest all while keeping the helicopter in pseudo-expeditioners from killing themselves.

Just gotta ask yourself which you are closer to : Sherpa or Client ??? Kaine in Kung-Fu or Kardashian???

Last edited:
Reliability and self sufficiency come to mind.

As to being prepared, well I'm hopeless. I just wing it every time. I packed my belongings into a shipping container and a few things into my cruiser 10,000km ago. Put 7,000km on the cruiser since then, upgraded to a camper trailer then upgraded again to a caravan to tow. I've now bought a new hilux and put 3,000km on it. I'm installing toolboxes and a roof rack for storage and am renovating the van, I plan on having our own power supply, as well as water. That way I can disappear into the outback between working and relax in the isolation.

The hardest part for most people is stepping out the front door.

Alaska part 3 (11).JPG

Does this count? Daughter and I spent a month going up to Prudhoe Bay and back. Had the GPS running but didn't really follow any set route to get there and back.

I'm struggling with this thing called Expedition and/or Overlanding. Its probably because I'm going through my "getting closer to 50" phase. I used to be a outdoor purist. I had no choice because I was broke as hell. I drove out west in a 900$ Volvo 240 (British Racing Green) with 280k on it. It didn't burn oil. Fantastic car! I digress. The same basket case rack that was on that Vo in the fall of 1995 rides on the roof of 1992 LC80 now. I digress again. I believe that I had more fun and more experiences in a car (and the one subsequent VO Wagon that saved my life) that I could afford and keep going and be jobless for a couple months at a time. Pre-spouse, pre-offspring, pre-good income.

What challenges me the most, as with any trend, is that you get bombarded with information and its usually gear related. You don't need all that stuff to have a great time. In fact, here comes the hate mail, after you buy all that gear and that trailer and that kitchen etc., maybe you should have just bought a diesel pusher and seen the country that way. I'm not saying its a bad thing. I used to think it was. But now I'm a little older and I'm thinking of stupid things like buying a cot (cuz back pain), having a gas guzzling LC80 (cuz I cant take my money with me) with enough gear to conquer the things I'll never conquer and OMG (I cant believe I'm admitting this) a slide and a refrigerator. The purist gods are pissing on my desk as I write this. But, the hell with purist-ness. Its about the experience, however you get it.

Here's what I'm pretty sure of: If you really want to enjoy the outdoors then go do it. Ignore all the hype. If you want to experience the outdoors on your knees or in a Winnebago, do it. The important thing is that you leave your comfort zone. An old friend once told me that you need to step off the trail and into the wilderness. Its more of a figurative comment. Leave your phone off, leave your work at work, if you wear underwear everyday then don't on your trip. You find yourself when you get away from the everyday. As a snowmobile guide and a raft guide I received my best tips from folks who got a long way away's from their comfort zones. Because, you know, they stepped off the trail....

If you want to see budget expeditioning (dammit they are courageous) then watch Global Convoy on youtube. If you want the other end of the spectrum watch Expedition Overland on YouTube. All are cool people trying to find themselves the best way they know how. Both entertaining as hell.

Safe travels.

What's the defining characteristic?

Self sufficency.....fuel, water, food, sleeping. Living in the vehicle for several days at a time while traveling in a remote area.

Think car camping taken to the logical extreme as in you are days away from the nearest services.

The vehicle that will get where you want to go and back, from easy to extreme, whatever you choose.

For me everything I do to my truck is with adventuring in mind. Overkill, not for me, because I actually adventure/overland, often solo to remote places in Baja. For me an overland expedition is being totally self-contained, traveling to the destination of choice, and having the vehicle and gear that makes it possible. So for me, many of the modifications done to make it off-road worthy also make it overland worthy. Except we add extra gas, RTTs, canopies, fridges, etc.

Pics say it all. My beaches. Not yours. Not sharing. MINE all MINE!

san rafael.jpg

alcatraz pano.jpg

If you want to see budget expeditioning (dammit they are courageous) then watch Global Convoy on youtube
Thanks for the tip I'll check them out.

My wife and I are driving and camping (overlanding) from California to Panama. We are driving a stock T100 with a homemade camper. Any modifications we did are focused on letting us camp remotely longer. No 4x4 focused mods. We use the 4x4 often to get to trail heads and out to beaches though.

I think an expedition build is all about meeting your own needs. We meet lots of people in 2wd vehicles that are happy with their choice and folks that haven't engaged their 4wd at all even though they have it. I personally would like to have a little more off-road capability based on our experience of hanging up on our diff and crossmember a few times and getting stuck in the sand once or twice.

My own little truck.
r-dubb%20kids%20and%20final%20drive%20015.jpg

Help me out here- a little context on the photo...
Is this how you're set up to ride? Or is the bike stowed?
If the former, I would love to hear the story on why you have a belt sander sitting on the back:confused:

To me the term expedition conjures thoughts of discovering new parts of the world by old world sail boats or exploring virgin land by horse.
But as the word is thrown around now a days, an expedition vehicle is what ever vehicle you have packed up to take you on an adventure. Be it a weekend camp trip or a trip months long covering several countries. The accessories don't make the vehicle, the adventure does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom