Oil Cooling System Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I purchased my 79 FJ40 a few weeks ago, my truck has the oil cooling system on the side of the block. After further inspection I realized that the "cooling portion" of that system is bypassed, in other words the coolant from the engine is not circulating through the oil cooler. I live in FL and as you know it is extremely hot down here during the summer so I would like to take advantage of this feature before it gets too hot. Does anyone have detailed photos or a schematic of the proper plumbing for this system? I know it cycles though the water pump and what not, just want to make sure I have everything and get it hooked up correctly. Thank you in advance, this forum has been very helpful

I wouldn't worry overmuch about having it connected in Florida (though I do run mine in Texas). Personally I think it is more of an oil temperature regulator than a "cooler"; since it uses radiator fluid to "cool", the oil temp is never going to be much less than the radiator temperature (180-210 F, depending on your thermostat and how good of condition your cooling system is in). In colder climates (and before the invention of synthetic motor oil), it helps bring the oil up to operating temperature and viscosity sooner. If Toyota or anyone else really wanted an oil cooler, they would design it to radiate heat to the ambient air, just like power steering coolers, motorcycle oil coolers, and radiators.

Here you go:

Oil Cooler.png

I wouldn't worry overmuch about having it connected in Florida (though I do run mine in Texas). Personally I think it is more of an oil temperature regulator than a "cooler"; since it uses radiator fluid to "cool", the oil temp is never going to be much less than the radiator temperature (180-210 F, depending on your thermostat and how good of condition your cooling system is in). In colder climates (and before the invention of synthetic motor oil), it helps bring the oil up to operating temperature and viscosity sooner. If Toyota or anyone else really wanted an oil cooler, they would design it to radiate heat to the ambient air, just like power steering coolers, motorcycle oil coolers, and radiators.

Hmmm all good points there, so you think it's not much of a problem of not having it connected? It just gets so hot down here in the summers with the humidity, I have seen some conflicting opinions on the relevance of using it at all. I figured it couldn't hurt to get it functioning properly at the very least. For my peace of mind do you have or are you aware of any schematics of how it's run? Even if I decide not to do it I at least want to know what's involved in case I decide to.

Ok, I have gone through my truck at least a half dozen times and I keep coming back to the same thing. I cannot find the fitting on the water pump for the return from the oil cooler. In the diagram above it's the fitting just under the water pump pulley (where the lower 15777D clamp hooks to) I simply cannot find that fitting, I can see the one at the top is capped and I can see where the hose clamps are run underneath....but I can't find the lower return fitting. Is it possible that an older water pump or other (without oil cooler) was fitted to replace the OEM stock one? Are they transferrable like that? It looks pretty straight forward but mine doesn't have that 1 return.

Ok, I have gone through my truck at least a half dozen times and I keep coming back to the same thing. I cannot find the fitting on the water pump for the return from the oil cooler. In the diagram above it's the fitting just under the water pump pulley (where the lower 15777D clamp hooks to) I simply cannot find that fitting, I can see the one at the top is capped and I can see where the hose clamps are run underneath....but I can't find the lower return fitting. Is it possible that an older water pump or other (without oil cooler) was fitted to replace the OEM stock one? Are they transferrable like that? It looks pretty straight forward but mine doesn't have that 1 return.
Yes, water pumps come with and without oil coolers and can be interchanged depending on year. Take a look here:

Cruiser Outfitters

Kurt at @cruiseroutfit or Onur @beno are good resources if you go through adding the oil coolers back.

-Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom