What *is* an expedition build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the expedition overland motto: "Adventure is, The Respectful Pursuit of Trouble"...

I'm reading through Tom Sheppard's book now "Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide" (4th) - great resource, but it is unlikely I'll ever do a trans-saharan expedition in support of archeology (would love to) and have to compute payload, power-weight ratios....

But certainly his work will leave me better prepared to learn on 3-5 day trips...

upload_2016-12-21_17-21-5.png

The guys at Zangs Films seemed to capture a contemporary multi-sport expedition pretty well in their "Our Land Traversing Oregon" video Zangs Films with surfing, mountain biking, fly fishing, great vistas and good beer. Looks compelling to me.

to make an expedition for me is to explore a remote area where there is no food , or water or any facility in a wide radius , lets say over 200-300 km ?
That describes many of the trips we have been on, we still call it camping.

In my own opinion..

'Expedition" is about getting "lost" or explore places you can only get by walking/climbing/helicopter/caves/horse/ boat... in that sense having a super bling thing is a really bad idea, two weeks on a deserted beach and you worry about your freaking truck, no thanks...

From the movie "heat''

• Neil McCauley: Look at me.
  • Vincent Hanna: I say what I mean, and I do what I say

• Neil McCauley: Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner. ...

• Neil McCauley: I told you I never going back.''
Just my two cents, plus two more cents, so SEVEN cents...

The journey IS the destination maaaaaan
''El que mas tiene es el que memos necesita"

+/-

'The one that has the most is the one that needs the least"

Facundo cabral, kill about three years ago, because his words where stronger and more dangerous than many weapons..

I travel like this for years, mosty for bicycle races/rides and I never found the need to have more (I do have a bike friend network just in case a part on the motorcycle work and I need a "real address'')

For the clothes, I used a seven feet long 3/4'' diameter cobra link lock, never figure out a way to lock out the motorcycle boots, so I hide them under the rear wheel, always came back home with what I left..

scott%20rack%20020.jpg

Funny note, at least 50% of the time after a conversation, I got invited for dinner and to stay on a normal bed...

Great times, but I was far strong and stubborn than I'm today..

ha ha ha , that's a transporter motorbike .
not an expedition vehicle !

in any case , quite a fantastic set up .

Renago

ha ha ha , that's a transporter motorbike .
not an expedition vehicle !

in any case , quite a fantastic set up .

Renago
Well renago, if I can go pretty anywhere I want to go or I can let her park somewhere with out worry

I think it quslified...

And don't get me started on my trip to the inca empire on my skateboard

Another Latin set of wise words

"Is not the arrow, is the indian"

Ummm... I'll bite. Hahaha wtf? Do tell.
Living in bogota colombia the carolinaskatepark in Quito Ecuador was the only closest.

About 2200 Kilometers away, well anything we get there one November and the
box guys had glue traps, blocks of cement! Brink,waiter plus they are there with bike chains to protect there territory park

Sitting on the suside of the bowl one the dude ask
"Que hacermoes" y Otto amigo dice match pit chum and with out sayingba,a word we skate to the main freeway and start to hitch Hicke, but we only ask for lift on the uphill, all the downhills where for skatething..

We had very little money, school students and kind of broke, anyway we climb to the temple on out or and kind of guerrilla style made little cambuches with tarps, to waits for the really early sun that is by far the best time to take pictures, (no mine I did not even have a camera..

three months of school vacations, five brake shoe, one shoe for the board,, old T-s***s that wounded doesn't until we have none by the end yo the trip, that time we also "learn" how to surf (on storyfound export fish boxes top, very simple very little worry, he'll as longest the wheels don't fail the trip was great

Last edited:
In S.W. Georgia an "expedition build" would be any pickup truck that had a tarp (preferably camo), rope, a shotgun, a Zebco and an styrofoam cooler full of Bud Lite.

Who around here knows of Unicat.??

Well I got the fortune to help in the early stages of design for three of them ( crazy rich friends from Silicon Valley..)

This German guys are strange and stiff... doh..

My friends want Unimog base vehicles, but they will not make them because the parts distribution network is to sporadic and s preach around, so the chassis has to be Amarican and all the furnishing American standard, starting with the bolts, sea everywhere..

Here are some pictures of the two finish 'expedition'' vehicles..9well the blue unimog is a Unimat purchase in Europe and them we modified here to live in Alaska
Unicat

The 3th guy bail out because he did not want a "not all wheeel drive" 'cokacola truck'' like he used to referred..

On the contrary my friend Mark is a lot smarter, well sometimes..

He start within a 'esarco' missile tow rig (fully military build from mister Husain but purchase after the embargo for pennies on the dollar..

It came like this...

8 wheel drive and with a wonky steering for the back wheels.'
28153836_hfpUU-O.jpg

No joke build quality.
40060088_BqS9T-O.jpg

Much more like it..
43004658_g7dJ8-O.jpg

Even better with big nasty wheeels.
272509826_vJ3Dm-X2.jpg

My own little truck.
r-dubb%20kids%20and%20final%20drive%20015.jpg

The way I see it if you want to play zombi you really play to win, we never finish this but we build a bio diesel reactor, to take advantage of whatever grease you can find, in that note a gasoline vehicle can not even be a truth Zombi killer, gasoline hydrocarbons evaporate and at a certain point they do not ignite..

My choice for zombi, a bicycle, half banana for me, half banana for her..

This whole thing is such a "marketing fashion" but nobody really tell you the whole truth about the ordeal, this trucks end up som heavy that the PNR Become half as long as if they where stock, 9 so you need truck/helicopter drops for combustible and supply's) a real expedition vehicle needs to be light and fuel efficient, if not it will get stuck anywhere..

2 cents with some experience..

Last edited:
I know it's my second post, but I thought about it a while and I think I figured out what I would consider an expedition rig. It must have it's own bbq pit :hillbilly:.

20161030_132636.jpg

20161030_132629.jpg

Okay more examples...

The kontiky raft even the Vikings crossing the atlant ocean on the 'flemsiest boats' ever build,,Oman that daMan..( bests sea going vessels) with not much what as sail for shelter, gps, even a RTT..

Last edited:
In S.W. Georgia an "expedition build" would be any pickup truck that had a tarp (preferably camo), rope, a shotgun, a Zebco and an styrofoam cooler full of Bud Lite.
You forgot the Coleman sleeping bag and kerosene lantern.

Ok, I agree, we shouldn't allow any setting of parameters for an expedition vehicle. This might be a forum where most people drive a nice Landcruiser, but still.

As a (BIG) example, meet Manon, a friend of ours. She took a tractor to the South Pole!

team-at-south-pole.jpg

Ok, it was quite a prepared operation. It also involved a lot of Icelandic guys with modified Hiluxes.

Maybe it is even more nice to know that she traveled to most parts of the world with a simple old tractor, without any aid or sponsoring. She got the help she needed for the part on Antartica, all the other travelling she did by herself.

You can read more on http://www.tractortractor.org/en/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom