Costa Rica BJ40 Pura Vida!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!
I am fairly new to this community and to Land Cruisers in general.
Couple of months ago the LC bug bit me and decided to go all in and get one, diesel is what I wanted, not just because it is relatively cheaper to run but also find it to be fascinating how bulletproof those little engines are.

Little background grew up in Mexico and migrated about 4 years ago to New Zealand so speak fluent spanish and english, I come back to Mexico for holidays every year.

Now... after doing a fair bit of research found a BJ40 in Costa Rica that seemed promising, so I purchased a ticket and hoped for the best...
Fast forward managed to locate a great mechanic that has been fixing those cars for 40 years and I have some basic mechanical knowledge, so got the guy to bring the car over to have a close look at it...
I was gutted when I realized how bad it was... The crossmember where the stabilizer for the sterring goes was as corroded as it could be, where the springs meet the chassis was broken, the engine was rebuilt poorly and with newer b engine parts and the body was being held together by bondo.. needless to say I thanked the man for his time and told him it was not was I was looking for.

Long story short spent 9 days in Costa Rica walking and hopping on buses from sun rise to sun set looking for the right cruiser for me...and believe me I must have asked at least 20 of their owners it they would sell them to me. Found out that these cars have now become part of the family and if you find one for sale you either have to be VERY lucky or its a car that is on its way out.. 2 days before the end of my trip and a bit sad not being able to find myself a car I came across a great car.. too good to be true.. one owner, OG paint and pretty low K's...
and here it is

it has its flaws but form what I have seen this car is a true survivor, only used by grandpa on sundays (hard to believe but they have 2 pickup LC for work through the week), and of course those horrible chrome accents that are RIVETED ( I know...) to the sheetmetal and it also has a few rust spots that can be stopped.

So... what do you guys think???
May have overpayed but I hope you guys prove me wrong..
Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

Very Nice. On your trip to CR did you come across any parts suppliers? Going to be in the northern part of CR in January and need a few thing for my HJ60

I live in the Central Valley and also have an HJ60, and really, parts are the expensive thing here. Labor is pretty cheap, and you can find old, out of production stuff, just prepare your wallet. 90% of mechanics here are outright criminals, and charge a "gringo tax" on top of their shoddy work. Aussie stuff is the way to go if you are located in the states.

BTW, awesome looking rig Cristobal! Clean af for a 40 in CR. How much did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome. I got my BJ40 from CR. What year is yours? I would guess 1980 since it has vent windows in the hardtop and power brakes but you don't have a square bezel. I notice it has a heater block off plate which I don't have and I didn't see it on any other 40s that I looked at.

Very Nice. On your trip to CR did you come across any parts suppliers? Going to be in the northern part of CR in January and need a few thing for my HJ60
Found a great wrecking yard in Palmares where they still have tons of BJ40 parts not sure about the HJ60 though.. can give you the contact if you want to give them a ring... I'm heading down to CR in Janury to not sure but between the 5 and 10th and will have the car to go pick up stuff if u like!!

BTW, awesome looking rig Cristobal! Clean af for a 40 in CR. How much did you end up spending if you don't mind me asking?
Hmm really I'm still deciding if I overpayed but the conditions of the paint (original) and low ks (21000 on odometer but by the looks of the accelerator pedal I would say no more than 22100) and an impecable chassis justify it.. just to answer your question $15500USD...
hopefully you guys share my opinion anyway

Welcome. I got my BJ40 from CR. What year is yours? I would guess 1980 since it has vent windows in the hardtop and power brakes but you don't have a square bezel. I notice it has a heater block off plate which I don't have and I didn't see it on any other 40s that I looked at.
It is a December 1978 and the diesel lid is vetical which confirms it.. wondering if I can install discs in the front with that brake booster??

I have read your thread super interesting and detailed will come in handy in January if I decide to ship the car... not suure if I should drive up or ship... though call

Found a great wrecking yard in Palmares where they still have tons of BJ40 parts not sure about the HJ60 though.. can give you the contact if you want to give them a ring... I'm heading down to CR in Janury to not sure but between the 5 and 10th and will have the car to go pick up stuff if u like!!

I'd really appreciate it if you could give me the phone number of the Palmares wrecking yard. I live in CR and have a BJ40 that needs parts. Perhaps you could email me the number at len@arielmusicandevents.com Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom