Builds My GCC Spec 1HD-FTE Converted FZJ100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After many years of waiting (5+), I finally got myself a Middle East spec truck.

My original intention when joining mud many years ago was to import an 80 that I would buy from a close family friend of ours in Saudi Arabia. The deal fell through when the family decided to keep it so I was left to shop around. I ended up buying an HDJ81 out of Vancouver but the hunger for a GCC spec truck still lingered...

As it turned out, another family who lived across the street in Saudi was going to be retiring in a few years. It was a 98 so it was well within the 15 year rule in Canada for import (PERFECT!) I took it upon myself to ask early if I could have first dibs on their 100. They agreed, to my delight (understatement).

My folks made the arrangements and took possession of the truck and it has been sitting with them for the past year or so. Now it's time to figure out the import process... and also fix a few things.

The rig is a 98 FZJ100 (IFS) with 179,000 km. H151F trans, HF1A t case, sub tank, barn doors and the lovely center fridge console. It has some wear and tear which is standard with Middle East trucks. It'll turn out to be somewhat of a resto project I'm sure.

I'm in the Kingdom for a couple weeks which will allow me to tackle a few things before it goes on a boat.

A few pics.

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

Last edited:
Ugh that 100 is so nice! What other "luxury" models were available for the 100? Subscribed

This is so cool. 5 speed hundy! You will have years of fun with that truck! More pics of the super cool OEM options.

Very nice!

Interesting that the HVAC controls and lighter/ashtray seem to be the mirror image (reversed) of a US model.

I'd love to see more pictures of the interior, if you get a chance.

Are you going to want to trade a few of the GCC options like the fridge console for non-GCC options like seat heaters once you get it home?

Also, look at the H2 setting on the transfer lever. Please more pictures.

Does it have factory dual battery setup?

Twin rear wipers and some kind steps up the c pillar. Are those factory? Can those be added? And Pintle hook.

Whoa nice... manual and a larger gas tank! It has a fridge too... Congrats!

Wow thanks for all the kind words! I am very excited about this truck.

Ugh that 100 is so nice! What other "luxury" models were available for the 100? Subscribed

This truck is middle trim level, GX.R trim. Highest trim level out here you can get these options with the V8, factory locker, factory winch... not sure what else.

Very nice!

Interesting that the HVAC controls and lighter/ashtray seem to be the mirror image (reversed) of a US model.

I'd love to see more pictures of the interior, if you get a chance.

Are you going to want to trade a few of the GCC options like the fridge console for non-GCC options like seat heaters once you get it home?

I will definitely take more. Gotta figure out what parts I need so I can order from Partsouq and still have time to install them!

I have considered seat warmers in my 80 as well and after this winter starting to think it'll be necessary for both. But to be honest that's probably as far as I'd go to "winterize". I love my fridge console in my 80, wouldn't trade it for anything!

I'll have to make sure the oil is 5w30 and gear oils 75w90 before leaving so it'll run fine when it shows up in the Canadian winter. Even gotta figure out a mixture for the windshield wiper fluid so it doesn't freeze upon arrival. Anyone know what I can mix into water so it doesn't freeze? Other than booze...

Also, look at the H2 setting on the transfer lever. Please more pictures.

Does it have factory dual battery setup?

Twin rear wipers and some kind steps up the c pillar. Are those factory? Can those be added? And Pintle hook.

Yup part time t case. I'll take under truck pics of the drive train when I get it on a hoist.

The dual battery setup was done by a previous owner. Freebie! The buttons are a little silly for the dual battery install :/

IMG_0826.JPG

The twin rear wipers are needed since it's barn doors... steps are factory actually, you can buy them from Amayama. Costly though, and you would have to reinforce your C pillar.

Third row seats are missing, oh well.

IMG_0814.JPG

Sub tank filler is interesting... 80 series has a lever to select the tank you fill. On the 100 there's two fill points and you just move the fill nozzle to the other hole. Better design, no moving parts!

IMG_0827.JPG

Tank had a bit of pressure on it when I opened the cap, do clogged tank vents cause this?

These guys have good/funny switches. http://www.ch4x4.com/ Maybe for the dual batteries.

Thank you for the pictures.

subbed

So fricking cool man!

Jealous is the true word!

Congrats on your 100,

Keep us updated as you get to own and drive something I'll probably never have.

Got to do some initial work on the truck today. Get to use garage space as part of a member program for a whopping 50 bucks for unlimited usage. Crazy cheap.

IMG_0836.JPG

Are those stock rear springs? Our GCC models come with 4 different springs for each side of the car. If they are OEM, could you check the color code on them?

Took a look at my springs and turns out I have OME rear springs and shocks so no colour code.

Took a look at the sub tank solenoid setup, looks quite a bit different compared to the 80 version...

IMG_0839.JPG

So after some inspection got a few issues with this thing already.

Front t case seal is toast

IMG_0840.JPG

And a multi leak at the front. Power steering pump is leaking like crazy and the crank/oil pump are weeping slowly.

IMG_0841.JPG

Ill probably just get a complete new power steering pump instead of rebuilding the current one. Even though I have access to a shop there aren't a lot of consumables at my disposal and I don't have much time here. A simple swap out would be lowest risk option.

Also replaced my manifold and throttle body gaskets while waiting for parts. The intake manifold design is far easier to work with compared to the pain in the ass 80 series counterpart. No 3 foot extension needed!

IMG_0844.JPG

Not sure if there are any Toyota wire harness experts here, my intake temp probe harness s*** the bed on me. Can anyone figure out the part number for this style harness??

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

We need garage share in the USA. That is so cool to share a garage that is not being utilized.

subbed

5 speed and barn doors, nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom