Combat vs Non combat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
So I have a very different thought process when it comes to combat vets or those who served in a possible harms way environment vs those who performed jobs that were not....

Not dogging... never would...

But there's a difference.. And a whole different level of respect.

Also, I think there's a third level of guys who joined because they had no other choice in life. Not a bad thing, just a different way of looking at these folks. There's a lot of assholes in the military, lots of lost folks just trying to make their way.

And every veteran and current military personnel I have spoken to agrees...

They actually laugh at the amount of total asshats they had to deal with over the years.

Thoughts?

Yes.

Lots of, and possibly the majority of vets basically collected a check from the government and did s*** work in return. Part of this is the fault of a system that was designed in the 19th Century, plus the fact that military service is, like it or not, Government employment.

Lots of them then proceeded to lie their asses off to collect benefits afterwards for non-existent medical issues.

I've met both the stupidest and the most brilliant people in the .mil.

I've also met a very few who were in because they were dedicated, and actually liked combat, and would give nearly anything to do war again.

I'd say maybe 10% actually provided real value to the taxpayer.

But the current political situation means that saying so brands you as un-American.

So I have a very different thought process when it comes to combat vets or those who served in a possible harms way environment vs those who performed jobs that were not....

Not dogging... never would...

But there's a difference.. And a whole different level of respect.

Also, I think there's a third level of guys who joined because they had no other choice in life. Not a bad thing, just a different way of looking at these folks. There's a lot of assholes in the military, lots of lost folks just trying to make their way.

And every veteran and current military personnel I have spoken to agrees...

They actually laugh at the amount of total asshats they had to deal with over the years.

Thoughts?

Are you a veteran?

I'm on the way out to the bush again and only just saw this thread...

Someone NEEDS to step up and either volunteer to moderate this forum, OR everyone needs to jointly moderate it. Otherwise, it's going to devolve into the same chaos and bullying already occurring in P&R, under Chat... And in Chat, as well. If that's what the members of the Highway want, so be it... Absent welcoming new members, this is my last Highway post.

I know I previously stated I WOULD NOT offer a position or opinion on MUD again... But, no one has stepped up...

As background...

I come to MUD for the camaderie of fellow MUDders who love all things TLC... I come to the Highway for the camaderie of fellow Veterans...​

When Jeff (@Chungas Revenge) first approached me, with HIS idea of establishing a Veterans Highway, I pointed out that, while I served 20 years, in the Air Force, I was NEVER a combat vet. Jeff's vision was that, "if you served, you served"... So, I agreed to help set this up.​

Jeff and I set up the Highway to allow brother and sister Veterans to share the camaderie of people who shared "similiar" experiences AND a love for TLCs.

It was NOT established to allow people to look down upon, bully, or ridicule others.

It's named the "Veterans Highway"... Not the "Combat Veterans Highway" and not the "Non-Combat Veterans Highway"... It's an all inclusive entity... We even decided to expand it to include interested non-Veteran members, who are the children and grandchildren of Veterans.

The Highway has minimal rules... They are documented in a sticky, at the top of the forum... They specifically explain how to join the highway... Everyone Veteran and non-Veteran are asked to provide as much, or as little, personal information as desired, but a minimum of first name, branch, TLC info and photos, in the "Welcome" thread, as a form of introduction.
The rules were written to prevent exactly the sort of divisiveness that this Combat vs Non-Combat thread presents. The Highway was created to represent US not US AND THEM.

This "Combat vs non-Combat" thread is the antithesis of what the Highway was created to be... and the OP has NOT even introduced him/herself... Ergo @Big Ed has asked "Are you a veterans?".

Those who wish to argue or bully or whatever already have a platform... Just join P&R.

Again, I served 20 years (May '68-Aug '88)... I was extremely fortunate to have never been sent into a combat area... But, it was not of my own doing... Obviously, I would have gone, if sent... I was simply sent to other places instead... And I was actually placed in harm's way a couple of times.

I can point to my career (and it did turn into a "career") with pride... Some of the work I did had a direct impact on various operations, in various far away places.

I never asked anyone to show me the same respect that should be shown to combat veterans... But, show me the respect I earned... as I always show each and every Veteran.

My Father was a Combat-Wounded Veteran of WWII... As shown on my FJ40 overhead console

image.jpeg

I am a decorated non-Combat Veteran... I served my country honorably... And I'm proud of it... As shown on the rear of 44

image.jpeg

So, that's my final word on this subject... But, a LOT of us really like Jeff and have enjoyed all his many stories and the vision HE named The Veterans Highway. I sincerely hope he is happy with the Highway, when he returns.

In the meantime, I'm gone to the solitude of the Big Empty again... Just Chester (this time), 44 and me.

I wish you all the best!!

If I don't get back beforehand, Merry Christmas!!

:cheers:

You didn't leave me hanging Jeff... It was all under control... I'm finally healthy again and am going to enjoy every moment... Sans the argumentative nature of late.

Ryan (@rkymtnflyfisher) Johnny (@JohnnyC) and I have been very concerned about you.

Glad you're back... You've been missed Brother!!

I would have rather went to combat than ripping out radioactive asbestos from reactor compartments on subs 12 on 12 off.

Also, I think there's a third level of guys who joined because they had no other choice in life. Not a bad thing, just a different way of looking at these folks.

I was one of these guys. It was a place I finally fit in, I could fight, fxxx, spit, cuss, and blow s*** up. We were the type of guys most people hated, but deep down inside everyone loved. Day to day interactions most people thought we were the biggest group off assholes on post, when the s*** hit the fan those same people were happy we were there to fight. When they needed their asses saved at a bar, we were the ones. Still most people think they were always better than us, we were just the dumb Infantrymen.
Infantrymen, not Infantrywomen.

We came to fight, no matter who for.

I never got deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, I spent some time on the ground in Kosovo. In 2002 after 9/11 I tried out for SF, fell off of an obstacle at SFAS and hurt my shoulder. It was the beginning of the end for my military future, at the end of the day I sleep fine knowing I tried my best. I still have a place in my heart for the guys who had combat deployments. I never liked the national guard.

At the end of the day it is not the "nice guys" that do the jobs most people are glad they never have to do. It is usually the guys that everyone hates because they don't fit it with the cool guys. The ones that will drop what they are doing at a moments notice and be in full fight mode for no other reason than to fight. Men, fighting men.

I still have a problem trusting a person who doesn't fight, spit, or cuss.

I'm sure someone will get pissed off about my opinion, I don't care.
That is your right. If you did get offended, fxxx off and go back to watching the Kardashians.

I've also met a very few who were in because they were dedicated, and actually liked combat, and would give nearly anything to do war again.

I know a few guys like that, they need the challenge, the thrill. Two of my buddies have since retired from the Army after being deployed one way or another for 10 of the last 14 years, neither one could adapt to being back in the US as a civilian. The type of guys that we need in the military, not at the office.

My post wasn't to criticize, just to differentiate the groups. This was just my opinion. (Full disclosure: I didn't read the rules of this forum)

I actually think very highly of the fellas "in the rear with the gear". I just have a different LEVEL of respect to those who threw bullets or had them thrown back. But I do respect them all for their service.

"Argue or Bully?"

Are you offended? If so, what's going to happen to you? Nothing happens when your offended... Get over it.. If you think I'm an ass, say it... f*ckin hell...

I actually think very highly of the fellas "in the rear with the gear". I just have a different LEVEL of respect to those who threw bullets or had them thrown back. But I do respect them all for their service.

Agreed

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of butthurt I've seen in this forum. I mean we 'all' served, regardless of reason or specialty, and most are justifiably proud of their service as they should be. We at least stepped up to the plate and did the time as opposed to those out there that can't understand what it takes or just absolutely hate what the military is and stands for. We covered their collective arzes for decades while they had no idea just how close we came sooo many times.

Up front, in the rear, in the air or on the seas we did what they would not. Be proud of who and what you are or have been.

My post wasn't to criticize, just to differentiate the groups. This was just my opinion. (Full disclosure: I didn't read the rules of this forum)

"Argue or Bully?"

Are you offended? If so, what's going to happen to you? Nothing happens when your offended... Get over it.. If you think I'm an ass, say it... f*ckin hell...

Edit: you sucked me in... Sometimes I'm too quick to jump... I grew up fending for myself and always enjoyed a fight. But, I said I wouldn't post an opinion or a position again... I've edited my response to comply with my promise.

So.. Here's a fact... This forum was established to facilitate friendship... Read the rules... But, not my concern any longer.

:beer:

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of butthurt I've seen in this forum. I mean we 'all' served, regardless of reason or specialty, and most are justifiably proud of their service as they should be. We at least stepped up to the plate and did the time as opposed to those out there that can't understand what it takes or just absolutely hate what the military is and stands for. We covered their collective arzes for decades while they had no idea just how close we came sooo many times.

Up front, in the rear, in the air or on the seas we did what they would not. Be proud of who and what you are or have been.

Edit: you sucked me in... Sometimes I'm too quick to jump... I grew up fending for myself and always enjoyed a fight. But, I said I wouldn't post an opinion or a position again... I've edited my response to comply with my promise.

So.. Here's a fact... This forum was established to facilitate friendship... Read the rules... But, not my concern any longer.

:beer:

Last edited:
On a more serious note, anyone who asks the question "Combat or Non-Combat" in 2016 obviously has no clue about the nature of modern warfare.

I know young female civilians who have more actual trigger time than 30 year-veteran Infantrymen.

If this forum is for "friendship" and we have to protect other vets' feelings, I'm in the wrong place. I listen to Army lies and bull**** all day long, and I won't belong to a forum that continues that. If the truth hurts, it's still the truth.

Infantry... jeesh.

Why carry your weapon, when your weapon can carry you?

I wouldn't have expected any less from a tanker!

The best breech tool in the arsenal, and a great place to dry/warm up your sleeping bag after a damp night in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom