steering stabilizer removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it better to use pickle fork or the tie rod end separator? Or is there any other trick to removing this easily?
Thanks.

Pickle fork and a BFH are what I used. You REALLY have to beat the hell out of it to get it off.

Two-arm gear puller. Junk reccomended that to me a when I installed my lift (December 2002) and it has been one of my favorite little tools since.

Watch out though for when it pops off. I still have a scar. :D

Yep, the two arm puller is far superior to a pickle fork. I hate pickle forks!!

I just did this on my 80 and went after it with a pickle fork for about 30 minutes before going down to Autozone and renting a puller. Came back and had it off in 5 minutes.

I'll never use a pickle fork again unless I just have to...

pickle fork on an impact hammer will have it off in about 3 seconds. opposing that when we did rileys we used a little gear puller and it worked well but about 15 seconds to get it off.
Dave

Haven't done this yet on my Cruiser, but I'd try heating the ends with a torch if you have one. Just did a set of exhaust bolts on a 150k mile car and heated them till they were glowing orange. Came off like butter.

30 seconds with a tie rod end puller.

I do it routenly with a pickle fork, about 5 good hits and they pop. I use a mini 3 lb sledge called thor. works real good, jsut watch out for the lighting bolts. If using the pickle fork try not to have the handle too clost to the rod ends from the drag link, the fork handle can cut the boot on the rod end if you are not careful. robbie

- Pickle fork and BFH
- Torch followed by pickle fork and BFH
- gear puller

Third was easier, second was the most fun, first just made me sweaty and frustrated :beer:

i thought changing out the steering stabilizer was a waste of time and money. ::) I used a pickle fork, but didn't notice a bit of difference before and after.

Did you all have a heck of a time tightening down the OME stabilizer? I don't know why but when bolting up the new one i had to literaly get a pipe extension on my wrench and use the tire and my legs to torque her down. :-\ Really tight.

:beer:

no problems on mine. just a 2' torque wrench set to 90lbs of force. Of course on the ps mount I took the bracket off the truck and did it on a vice then replaced the two mount bolts with some new grade 8 s. all told took me about 25 minutes including breaking off one of the mount bolts when I went to tighten it up. Some days I love working for a dealership they have all the cool tools just sitting in a room.
Dave

i thought changing out the steering stabilizer was a waste of time and money. ::) I used a pickle fork, but didn't notice a bit of difference before and after.

Did you all have a heck of a time tightening down the OME stabilizer? I don't know why but when bolting up the new one i had to literaly get a pipe extension on my wrench and use the tire and my legs to torque her down. :-\ Really tight.

:beer:

i think i just stripped the bolt....have 1/2" of thread showing, then it just got easy....i was only using an 18" ratchet:doh:

Now what?:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom