Supercharged 2009 LC Engine Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some supercharged 5.7's are failing at around 150k; especially in towing situations. So with 121k and a coolant leak in the valley I decided it might be a good time to upgrade the internals.

First step is removing the engine.
Empty%20Engine%20Bay_zpsztaqweah.jpg

Engine_zps493yw3v9.jpg

Darton sleeves and forged internals are planned. I hope to have updates over the next three months.

Awesome! Are you installing sleeves for a displacement increase? Or has someone recommended them for durability? I've built many hi po engines, but never one with sleeves... the integrity of the block has always been a concern of mine.

If you are interested, The Lexus IS F has some trick parts in the 2UR-GSE that can be applied to the 3UR-FE. I also have a bunch on the drawing board, some in prototype... If you are interested, I can fill you in here, or via PM.

Congrats on taking on the biggest project I've seen in the 200 section. Holy crap!

How are the engines failing? The 2UZ was known to throw rods when boosted with the TRD SC.

A rod or piston will let go. The lkely scenario... A hot loaded engine, gets a pinch lean, a quick knock, and bang. I'd love to see the oil temp when it goes... My bet is well north of 260F/127C.

Not to get too far off topic but what is your opinion on the overall durability of the 4.7 vs 5.7. The 4.7 has proven to be bombproof without FI. Do you think the 5.7 will have a similar track record?

How are the engines failing? The 2UZ was known to throw rods when boosted with the TRD SC.

Happened to me on my 100, then I accidentally replaced with Tundra motor and it was soo much better than FI IMHO. Slightly slower, but lot more dependable.

We are sleeving the block to stabilize the deck and bump displacement.

Brian, any part recommendations from the 2UR-GSE are appreciated.

The have been a hand full of local supercharged 5.7's in Tundras that have had rods let loose.

The intake and exhaust valves from the F engines are no brainers. Titanium intake and stainless or titanium exhaust valves are available. The exhaust valve seats are different part numbers, but the intake uses the same seat. I still need to calculate the proper spring rates for the Ti valves.

Slow progress but still progress. Waiting on the crank to fit pistons and rods, both will be forged. Displacement will be 6.2L
The plan is to ceramic coat the pistons. The runners on the heads were cleaned up. Unichip recommended adjusting the tune slightly. With the current tune the fuel is reduced so for those familiar we plan to change the -1 to 0.

Toyota%20V8%20Block%2001_zpsi01wwukk.jpg

Regarding the use of titanium valves; the stems are only 6mm so the weight savings is minimal. We decided to stick with the factory valves.

Nice to see some progress.

Ti valves weigh about 30% less that their steel counterparts. Stems are 5.5 mm. The IS F stainless exhaust valves have a thicker margin than the stainless 3UR valves, and are a higher quality stainless.

Have you picked a header yet? Use gaskets 17173-38030, they have extra heat shielding.

I've been running the Doug Thorley headers for awhile. Were you able to finalize your CAT back exhaust system? I appreciate the advice on the valve, not sure where we will end up. I'm trying to decide if I should mess around with the pulleys to get more boost or leave it stock. I've been running the Unichip with the SC but it seems to act up when the weather changes. I contacted Bully Dog but they haven't tested their GT Platinum Gas tuner on the LC.

I've been running the Doug Thorley headers for awhile. Were you able to finalize your CAT back exhaust system? I appreciate the advice on the valve, not sure where we will end up. I'm trying to decide if I should mess around with the pulleys to get more boost or leave it stock. I've been running the Unichip with the SC but it seems to act up when the weather changes. I contacted Bully Dog but they haven't tested their GT Platinum Gas tuner on the LC.

please update. Saw references here Bully Dog GT Gas Tuner and resurrected thread Supercharged 2009 Land Cruiser in the US

Currently running Unichip but looking at other options. 6.4L is currently getting broken-in.

6.4 ? !!! dang...... how are the DT headers ? have a friend debating those ... Kooks apparently decided not to take the LC headers they tested on my truck to markets...

love more details on the final build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom